Koran burning, hilarity ensues

Started by Slargos, April 03, 2011, 03:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think a gray area is introduced by the notion of "fighting words."

Slargos

Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2011, 01:34:58 PM
KRonn, while the burning of the Koran was rude and tacky, the fault lies with those who went ballistic. Burning any book shouldn't be an excuse for bloody protests thousands of miles away.
That is what I said already.   :)

No, you keep Euroing your statements.

Fact is that eventually someone will burn a koran or hack your poorly constructed nuke arsenal firewall. If a single person can make a huge difference, eventually someone will do it whether it's out of political, ideological, malicious or simply self-aggrandizing intent. It's stupid beyond the pale to think that you can stop something as simple as a book burning when a world full of trolls knows that it will piss off the muslims.

You might as well rage against nature for the horrible crime of the Tsunami.

The blame for the 7 deaths among the UN and NATO personnel in Kandahar lies squarely on the shoulders of the people who killed them. Not the book burning pastor. Not the people who supplied them their firearms and cudgels. Not the bullets. Guns and bookburnings don't kill people. People kill people. 

Slargos

Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 03, 2011, 01:23:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 11:40:05 AMToo bad he can't be brought up on hate crimes or something.

Hate crime against a piece of literature? What next, fines and imprisonment for burning a copies of the Twilight books because they might offend fans of Twilight?
Hyperbole on my part. Don't get too bent out of shape over it.   ;)

And come on.

"I was just joking."

"I was being sarcastic."

"It was an attempt at provoking debate."

Fuck you. You meant every goddamned word, and when they back fire on you, you back pedal like a French tank.

KRonn

Quote from: Slargos on April 03, 2011, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 03, 2011, 01:23:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 11:40:05 AMToo bad he can't be brought up on hate crimes or something.

Hate crime against a piece of literature? What next, fines and imprisonment for burning a copies of the Twilight books because they might offend fans of Twilight?
Hyperbole on my part. Don't get too bent out of shape over it.   ;)

And come on.

"I was just joking."

"I was being sarcastic."

"It was an attempt at provoking debate."

Fuck you. You meant every goddamned word, and when they back fire on you, you back pedal like a French tank.
Slargos, I mean exactly what I said. Read my first post. I blame the Muslims who did this, while expressing just annoyance at the preacher. Enough said.

Slargos

Quote from: KRonn on April 03, 2011, 01:26:19 PM

That said, I still put the majority of blame on the backwards,

The majority?

QuoteToo bad he can't be brought up on hate crimes or something.

Ah, yes, too damn bad that he is protected by law.

QuoteI'm all in favor of US type freedom of speech/expression;

NO. YOU'RE NOT.

Admit it, you little hairy communist cunt: You'd love Euro-style "free" speech.

Valmy

Wait burning Korans in the US will get UN employees killed abroad?  I see millions of anti-UN conspiracy nuts across the US burning Korans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on April 03, 2011, 02:15:40 PM
Islam needs a makeover. An atomic makeover.

I find it comforting that no matter how much we might disagree about the little things, when it comes to the big picture we are as brothers.  :hug:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2011, 01:55:27 PM
That's why that notion is such a dreadful one.  It introduces a gray area where there should be none.  Once you accept that any words can justify violence in response, you are abandoning the civilized concept of lawful use of force.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 03, 2011, 04:50:51 AM
Quote from:  Swedish UN fag"Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of offending culture, religion or traditions," de Mistura said.

It does in Florida, fag.

This guy was cheering on the Catholic church when they arrested Gallileo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 03, 2011, 01:22:30 PM
I should burn a Qur'an at my school for fun just to see what would happen.

I doubt they have Koran's in kindergarten.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2011, 02:24:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2011, 01:55:27 PM
That's why that notion is such a dreadful one.  It introduces a gray area where there should be none.  Once you accept that any words can justify violence in response, you are abandoning the civilized concept of lawful use of force.

I think it's a good thing that the law recognizes that sometimes punching someone in the face is a valid form of conflict resolution.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2011, 05:29:47 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 03, 2011, 01:22:30 PM
I should burn a Qur'an at my school for fun just to see what would happen.

I doubt they have Koran's in kindergarten.

I thought adults knew how to use apostrophes.
Yuman

Habbaku

:huh: Why would you think Raz is an adult?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

JonasSalk

He thinks I'm a kid; I think he's a pseudo-adult. Glad to know we're both wrong and that our roles are actually reversed.
Yuman

CountDeMoney

This whole situation is unfortunate, but it does highlight exactly why Mooselimbs are the imbecile morons they are as a culture, versus a single imbecile moron in Florida.

I just love how we're supposed to be tolerant of the most intolerant culture on the planet.  As if that'll, like, make them like us.

WHAT PART OF SPILLING YOUR INFIDEL JEW BLOOD DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND