China white paper highlights US military 'competition'

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2011, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2011, 02:29:29 PM
The Navy doesn't require its crews to suicide themselves rather than land at a potentially hostile airport.  Naturally, it does require that the crypto be destroyed (as was done) and the self-destruct charges be set (which was done, but which only partially worked).  Luckily for USN aviation recruiting, the rules of behavior are not written by middle-aged anonymous internet dweebs with epeen issues (not that I am saying this describes Seedy, exactly...).

Splash the plane.

And I'm not middle-aged yet. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 03, 2011, 09:14:08 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 03, 2011, 06:37:04 PM
There's no way I'd jump out of a P-3 over the damn ocean if the option to just land the thing was there.  Yeah, my water survival training at NACCS was great and all, but seriously: fuck that.

Actually, P-3 crews would rather land the bird in the ocean than jump out airborne anywhere.  I don't remember off the top of my head what it is, but something about the design and aerodynamics of the P-3 makes it a very dangerous aircraft to bail out of.

Edit:
Looking at a picture of the plane jogged my memory.  Its the location of the aft door relative to the horizontal tail surfaces.  The tail is so wide and low that if the crew doesn't jump out just the right way they'll hit it.

They would've done a water landing just fine.  Open the doors, let the fucker sink, and paddle back to Honoruru.

Bailing out...and grumbler says I'm talking out of my ass.  People watched too many Looney Tunes growing up.

Jacob

My impression is that there are a fair number of Chinese who approach foreign policy the same way as CdM or as Timmy does, but from a Chinese rather than American perspective.

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2011, 09:24:43 PM
My impression is that there are a fair number of Chinese who approach foreign policy the same way as CdM or as Timmy does, but from a Chinese rather than American perspective.

So true  :lol:

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 03, 2011, 09:14:08 PM
Actually, P-3 crews would rather land the bird in the ocean than jump out airborne anywhere.  I don't remember off the top of my head what it is, but something about the design and aerodynamics of the P-3 makes it a very dangerous aircraft to bail out of.

Edit:
Looking at a picture of the plane jogged my memory.  Its the location of the aft door relative to the horizontal tail surfaces.  The tail is so wide and low that if the crew doesn't jump out just the right way they'll hit it.

Yeah, bailing out is just not a good thing to do no matter what.  Then when you're doing it over the water, there's even more that can go wrong, etc.  Only something to do when you absolutely have to, and damn that would really suck and I wouldn't bet on everyone getting out okay.  If it can be landed, especially if there's a nice runway to use, that's what needs to happen. 

Here's a pretty good picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/P-3B_DN-SC-82-02246.JPEG

I wonder what the Poseidon is going to be like when it comes to those sorts of things.

Monoriu

Fundamentally, China is trying to maintain the status quo, both domestically and internationally.  Ideally, it would like to see a reunification with Taiwan, and having full sovereignty over all disputed islands.  But it knows full well that those are nothing but dreams, and it won't make any substantial moves toward them.  China's foreign policy goal is to maintain the ambiguous status quo.  There is one catch though - it takes two to tango.  The counterparties need to maintain a similar position.  That involves Taiwan not declaring independence, and Japan not stationing troops on the disputed island, etc.  As long as those conditions hold true, China can stick to rhetoric for domestic consumption. 

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

:lol: Awesome.

You're a douchebag, but your my douchebag instrument of war. :cheers:

The Minsky Moment

I don't see anything controversial in the OP article.   :mellow:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2011, 09:24:00 PM
They would've done a water landing just fine.  Open the doors, let the fucker sink, and paddle back to Honoruru. 
Did it hurt when you pulled this out of your ass? 

QuoteBailing out...and grumbler says I'm talking out of my ass.  People watched too many Looney Tunes growing up.
Bailing isn't a great option, but ditching isn't one, either. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/05/nyregion/crash-flight-111-risks-crash-landings-ocean-surface-can-be-less-forgiving-than.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm
QuoteCrash landings at sea tend to end badly, even if the pilot has control of the craft, and are considered even riskier than such landings on land, crash investigators and aviation engineers said.

''Even in the best circumstances, landing on water is very, very risky,'' said Gary Frings, who directs research into the ''crashworthiness'' of airplanes at the Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center, in Atlantic City.

]http://www.vpnavy.com/vp47ditch.html]
QuoteI could not get control of the aircraft and we did not have time to put on our parachutes to bailout. Even if we would have had time to don our parachutes, the main cabin door was facing the sky, which made bailing out impossible.
In other words, this guy 9an actual naval aviator) would have bailed out if he could.  Note that the P-3 landed intact in coastal and calm waters, so all survived.

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp9586.html
QuoteGrigsby had to face the gnawing possibility that to stop the prop before its blades ripped loose, he might have to ditch in the open sea, near where the Aleutian trench sinks for 26,000 feet. No such ditch by a P-3C, he knew, had ever yielded survivors.

In a more typical "lucky" ditching, only five lives were lost.  In this case, bailing wasn't even considered, apparently because the crew would have needed the rafts to survive.

Bottom line;  no one lightly ditches a plane, and no one should count on getting everyone out when one does.  Smart money says you land the plane, if you can.  The chance exists that the Chinese will commit an act of war and invade US territory, but even if they do, your people survive and the plane has plenty of self-destruction equipment.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"