China white paper highlights US military 'competition'

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2011, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

What I don't understand is that it seems to me that China's action don't even really make sense from a foreign policy perspective. I suspect that most of their foreign policy decisions seem to be driven almost completely by domestic consumption concerns.

They do not like the many military alliances that the US has all around them, and (reasonably so) find it rather threatening that the US has military alliances with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc., etc. Yet their actions over the last 10+ years have been such that their neighbors feel MORE inclined to look to the US for security against an aggressive (or at least seemingly aggressive) China.

If you aren't happy that other countries are entering into or strengthening military ties with the US, why act like d-bags and make them think they need those ties?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

China's actions are all designed for a single purpose: Taiwan.

1) SSM expansion in the South China Sea to hammer the Taiwanese into submission,
2) diesel boat expansion to secure the sea lanes and choke Taiwan in a blockade, and
3) anti-carrier, ASAT and assymetrical cybermeasures development to interdict and counteract the 7th Fleet's ability to project its power forward in the unlikely event the US would want to assist Taiwan.

Camerus

The answer is that for the PRC government, building ties with its neighbours takes a definitive backseat vs. other priorities - the primary one being simply to continue to shore up its domestic legitimacy so as to stay in power. 

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2011, 10:18:47 AM
What I don't understand is that it seems to me that China's action don't even really make sense from a foreign policy perspective. I suspect that most of their foreign policy decisions seem to be driven almost completely by domestic consumption concerns.
I think that this is correct

QuoteThey do not like the many military alliances that the US has all around them, and (reasonably so) find it rather threatening that the US has military alliances with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc., etc. Yet their actions over the last 10+ years have been such that their neighbors feel MORE inclined to look to the US for security against an aggressive (or at least seemingly aggressive) China.

Insert Quote

They do not like the many military alliances that the US has all around them, and (reasonably so) find it rather threatening that the US has military alliances with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc., etc. Yet their actions over the last 10+ years have been such that their neighbors feel MORE inclined to look to the US for security against an aggressive (or at least seemingly aggressive) China.

If you aren't happy that other countries are entering into or strengthening military ties with the US, why act like d-bags and make them think they need those ties?
I don't think that the government minds all of the alliances around it too much. They serve a useful purpose in justifying the repression of the peoples' freedoms.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2011, 07:00:42 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2011, 12:53:25 AM
When the Chinese invaded US territory (the EP-3 that was forced to land on Hainan Island after a crazed Chinese fighter pilot rammed it and crippled it) that pretty much ended any pretense that the PRiCk government is anything but an enemy of the US.  I will grant that the Chinese people are not hostile, but that government has to go, Mubarak-style.  I'd prefer Ceaușescu-style but will live with Mubarak-style.

I would prefer Goldwater-style.  They still use liquid fuel for their ICBMs that take 24 hours to ready for launch.  All I need is a single SSBN for a pre-emptive strike.

But you're former Navy.  Please explain to me why that EP-3 pilot was not courtmartialed for not splashing the plane.

"Oh no, we're in trouble...I guess we'll just have to LAND IN THE COUNTRY WE'RE SPYING ON WITH ALL THIS LEET SURVEILLANCE GEAR AND UP TO DATE CRYPTO CODES"

This, any insight grumbs?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 03, 2011, 12:21:07 PM

But you're former Navy.  Please explain to me why that EP-3 pilot was not courtmartialed for not splashing the plane.

"Oh no, we're in trouble...I guess we'll just have to LAND IN THE COUNTRY WE'RE SPYING ON WITH ALL THIS LEET SURVEILLANCE GEAR AND UP TO DATE CRYPTO CODES"

This, any insight grumbs?
The Navy doesn't require its crews to suicide themselves rather than land at a potentially hostile airport.  Naturally, it does require that the crypto be destroyed (as was done) and the self-destruct charges be set (which was done, but which only partially worked).  Luckily for USN aviation recruiting, the rules of behavior are not written by middle-aged anonymous internet dweebs with epeen issues (not that I am saying this describes Seedy, exactly...).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Alcibiades

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2011, 02:29:29 PM
The Navy doesn't require its crews to suicide themselves rather than land at a potentially hostile airport.  Naturally, it does require that the crypto be destroyed (as was done) and the self-destruct charges be set (which was done, but which only partially worked).  Luckily for USN aviation recruiting, the rules of behavior are not written by middle-aged anonymous internet dweebs with epeen issues (not that I am saying this describes Seedy, exactly...).

I'm sure they had chutes,was just following his thinking that it would have been better to just eject it in to the ocean than land it on an 'enemy' runway.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

More than likely the pilot landed rather than risk the life of his on-board closet homosexualist butt partner.

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 03, 2011, 03:16:51 PM
I'm sure they had chutes,was just following his thinking that it would have been better to just eject it in to the ocean than land it on an 'enemy' runway.
Take a guess at the survival rate of aviators who bail over water.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2011, 03:33:57 PM

If GHWB can do it, anyone can.  :mad:

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 03, 2011, 03:36:33 PM

If GHWB can do it, anyone can.  :mad:
Have you ever wondered why there is never any interview footage with the other two members of Bush's crew from that flight?  No books by them, no reunions with the Big Guy?

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

If they ditched over land, how likely would it be that all sensitive stuff would be destroyed on impact?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point