Calling all lawyers (and other sundry old people)

Started by Count, March 24, 2011, 04:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I used to work with a woman at Harvard who was so excited when she got into Boston College Law so she could pursue her dreams of... wait for it.... wait for it.... being a lawyer for the ACLU. :lol:

I was like "lol have fun being poor". :)

Man did she have nice tits, too. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

*checks*

Hey neat, she ended up working for a firm that defends illegal immigrants. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2011, 07:09:51 AM
*checks*

:mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2011, 07:42:35 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2011, 07:09:51 AM
*checks*

:mad:

Illegal immigrants need nice tits too.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

I don't have any pics of some admin from ten years ago. :lol:

She might not look good anymore anyway.

Barrister

Quote from: Count on March 25, 2011, 02:19:02 AM
thanks all. again, I probably won't defer, and if I did, I'd probably just try to get a 9-5 job (I have already spent a year fucking around, which I don't think will hurt me too much- it seems like a lot of people work dead end jobs for a year or two [or more] before going to law school and end up ok, but I really don't know) and/or "do some traveling," but not around the world. No money for that. I am getting the old cold feet though... Hopefully it goes away after the admitted students program.

Jaba, congrats! sounds like you're doing very very well. I'm familiar with TLS. They're kind of douchey  but they have lots of useful information and they certainly informed my application process. My condolences for the fact that you grew up in, are going to school in, and may live forever in Florida. And Capetan Mihali- congrats! You're at Harvard! Also, I'm fairly certain Columbia does have semester abroad programs and the like, which is appealing (I would love to spend a semester in England).

re: state schools. MA just got a state law school (like, a year or two ago), which is cheap but a very poor option. I don't think it's accredited yet. It's competing with Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk, Northeastern, and New England School of Law.

re: public interest jobs. You know how tons and tons of prospective law students say they "want to help people"? It's not so much that I want to help people as I want to want to help people. It would be cool if I was that sort of person. However, if I really wanted to help people, I would probably have some sort of track record of doing it. Still, WHO WILL DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION???

in my case, having options is a biggie, since I am not sure what I want to do long term. Short term I'd love to clerk.

dps:

QuoteDon't lie to the kid.  He'll regret his decision, no matter which way he decides.

So, so true.

On that note, I just found out I was waitlisted from Chicago, my long-time dream school. Ah well.

Helping people is over-rated.  Hurting people by placing them in long-term incarceratin is where the self-satisfaction comes from.   :cool:

Isn't being waitlisted, all in all, a good thing? :unsure:  I spent a few days at U of Chicago - seemed like a really cool place.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Count

Quote from: Barrister on March 25, 2011, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: Count on March 25, 2011, 02:19:02 AM
thanks all. again, I probably won't defer, and if I did, I'd probably just try to get a 9-5 job (I have already spent a year fucking around, which I don't think will hurt me too much- it seems like a lot of people work dead end jobs for a year or two [or more] before going to law school and end up ok, but I really don't know) and/or "do some traveling," but not around the world. No money for that. I am getting the old cold feet though... Hopefully it goes away after the admitted students program.

Jaba, congrats! sounds like you're doing very very well. I'm familiar with TLS. They're kind of douchey  but they have lots of useful information and they certainly informed my application process. My condolences for the fact that you grew up in, are going to school in, and may live forever in Florida. And Capetan Mihali- congrats! You're at Harvard! Also, I'm fairly certain Columbia does have semester abroad programs and the like, which is appealing (I would love to spend a semester in England).

re: state schools. MA just got a state law school (like, a year or two ago), which is cheap but a very poor option. I don't think it's accredited yet. It's competing with Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk, Northeastern, and New England School of Law.

re: public interest jobs. You know how tons and tons of prospective law students say they "want to help people"? It's not so much that I want to help people as I want to want to help people. It would be cool if I was that sort of person. However, if I really wanted to help people, I would probably have some sort of track record of doing it. Still, WHO WILL DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION???

in my case, having options is a biggie, since I am not sure what I want to do long term. Short term I'd love to clerk.

dps:

QuoteDon't lie to the kid.  He'll regret his decision, no matter which way he decides.

So, so true.

On that note, I just found out I was waitlisted from Chicago, my long-time dream school. Ah well.

Helping people is over-rated.  Hurting people by placing them in long-term incarceratin is where the self-satisfaction comes from.   :cool:

Isn't being waitlisted, all in all, a good thing? :unsure:  I spent a few days at U of Chicago - seemed like a really cool place.

usually it's just a soft rejection, but i'll give them a shot
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 25, 2011, 03:01:08 PMHelping people is over-rated.  Hurting people by placing them in long-term incarceratin is where the self-satisfaction comes from.   :cool:

Interesting. I assumed you would've argued "helping people by placing them in long-term incarceration > being an ACLU lawyer."

Caliga

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Count

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2011, 05:18:26 PM
CONFESSION:  I give money to the ACLU. :blush:
:)

I donated money in the hopes of becoming a card carrying member, but the card was just something you cut out of the letter they sent. Really flimsy piece of crap.  :mad:
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2011, 05:18:26 PM
CONFESSION:  I give money to the ACLU. :blush:

I'm a Kentucky Colonel. Call me sir, boy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Count on March 29, 2011, 05:27:53 PM
I donated money in the hopes of becoming a card carrying member, but the card was just something you cut out of the letter they sent. Really flimsy piece of crap.  :mad:
I have one of those somewhere. :cool:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Count on March 29, 2011, 05:27:53 PM
:)

Laminate the fucker and you're good to go.