News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I admit I havent' followed Justin Trudeau's boxing career. All I'm saying is it's not unusual for a politician to do a publicity stunt. I'm sure its' been done before.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 20, 2016, 01:51:38 PM
I admit I havent' followed Justin Trudeau's boxing career. All I'm saying is it's not unusual for a politician to do a publicity stunt. I'm sure its' been done before.
and that's not the point.

Pretending to like something for a publicity stunt is not the same as being genuilely interested in something.
Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 01:30:03 PM
He never trained before he decided to take on Brazeau.  He did it very seriously, more than Brazeau, obviously, but he never done it before.

I doubt it. Brazeau did train seriously in martial arts before, and yet he lost by technical knockout. That shows that Justin had some boxing basics before training 'more seriously' for the fight.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 01:56:14 PM
Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.

For Tom Clancy, all politicians are sleazebags. The good guys work in the CIA.  :rolleyes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on April 20, 2016, 01:57:24 PM
He never trained before he decided to take on Brazeau.  He did it very seriously, more than Brazeau, obviously, but he never done it before.

I doubt it. Brazeau did train seriously in martial arts before, and yet he lost by technical knockout. That shows that Justin had some boxing basics before training 'more seriously' for the fight.

I agree, one does not simply walk into a ring and TKO a trained opponent.

But, Viper, what are you really getting at?  Trudeau is a bad person for becoming a public personality?

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on April 20, 2016, 01:57:24 PM

before, being the key word.

Brazeau was overweight, he had a drug and drinking problem.  He thought his martial arts skills would be sufficient to defeat Trudeau, but Trudeau recruited good trainers and got serious about the fight.
You could see that Brazeau was totally out of shape at the fight compared to Trudeau.  There has been numerous coverage on this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2016, 02:54:57 PM
But, Viper, what are you really getting at?  Trudeau is a bad person for becoming a public personality?

Trudeau is an empty personality.  He is not intelligent because he knows of quantum computing, he simply prepared for the question in advance.  When he is not prepared, he looks as dumb as he is in his natural state.

It's not a morality question.  There is no "good" vs "bad".  There is competent and incompetent.   So far, he has proven competent in only one thing: media handling.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2016, 02:54:57 PM

Trudeau is an empty personality.  He is not intelligent because he knows of quantum computing, he simply prepared for the question in advance.  When he is not prepared, he looks as dumb as he is in his natural state.

It's not a morality question.  There is no "good" vs "bad".  There is competent and incompetent.   So far, he has proven competent in only one thing: media handling.

Ok, but even with that view, you have to hand it to him. The one thing you say it is able to do, he does very well.

I have said before that I think his strongest attribute is he does realize he needs to have the assistance of others.  That is also, in itself, a change.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2016, 03:24:01 PM
Ok, but even with that view, you have to hand it to him. The one thing you say it is able to do, he does very well.
Of course. He's young, the ladies love him, his wife his gorgeous.  That does not make him qualified to be PM in itself.

I have said before that I think his strongest attribute is he does realize he needs to have the assistance of others.  That is also, in itself, a change.
hmm, like these guys?
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/04/18/sexism-on-the-hill-has-to-stop-now

Drakken

You are all over the place, Vip.

First you accuse Justin of being an empty phony. When we demonstrate that he does have a personality and personal interests, and that he seems to be relying on the help on others rather than act like a know-it-all despot, you bring non-sequitur allegations from one female MP (while indeed grave if substantiated, not yet corrobated by investigation - in Sun Media, no less)... to snidely insinuate what, exactly? That Justin Trudeau, the man who imposed parity in his Cabinet, and went so far as to expel two MPs from his caucus on mere allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct in the last legislature, is guilty of being anti-women by association? :huh:

We get it, you don't like the guy. So much, in fact, that you bring it nonsensical arguments to devaluate Justin Trudeau's character despite evidence of the contrary. Unless a person is riding the PC-speak totempole they will find absolutely no grace whatsoever to your eyes. It makes you read like a fuckin' lunatic.

Because Stephen Harper had no dumbass and prick inside his Cabinet, right? :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on April 20, 2016, 06:43:51 PM
When we demonstrate that he does have a personality and personal interests,
euh, non, you haven't demonstrated anything.
Responding to a planted question is not a sign of anything.

Quoteand that he seems to be relying on the help on others rather than act like a know-it-all despot,
How is that different from Harper recruiting independant senators and advisers from the opposition parties?

Quoteyou bring non-sequitur allegations from one female MP (while indeed grave if substantiated, not yet corrobated by investigation - in Sun Media, no less)...
While in the opposition, your gracious leader did not wait to fire his MPs.  He did not wait for an inquiry.  He did not wait for any accusations to be made publicly.  The facts were reported, and he suspended the MPs immediatly.
Now that he's in power, quite suddenly, there seems to be a need to wait for a formal inquiry...  How strange.  So, in your opinion, did he act correctly while in the opposition or is he acting correctly now? :)

QuoteThat Justin Trudeau, the man who imposed parity in his Cabinet, and went so far as to expel two MPs from his caucus on mere allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct in the last legislature, is guilty of being anti-women by association? :huh:
You guys are telling me the Liberals have a great team.  Exceptional people to compensate the weaknesses of your Great Leader.  Apparently.
I'm simply pointing out they ain't that great.

We get it, you don't like the guy.
It took you so many years to understand I don't like the left and have a total dislike for empty, non intelligent characters?  Wow.

So much, in fact, that you bring it nonsensical arguments to devaluate Justin Trudeau's character despite evidence of the contrary.
I'm sorry.  I know you're a Liberal and your party is perfect, save for a few misguided individuals.  We heard that story all over again during Chrétien's reign.

Unless a person is riding the PC-speak totempole they will find absolutely no grace whatsoever to your eyes.
Really?  First, I'm accused of being a blind supporter of Jeff Fillion, André Arthur&co, then I can only find grace to PC-speak people?  How strange... :)

Because Stephen Harper had no dumbass and prick inside his Cabinet, right? :lol:
Of course he did.  But nobody ever pretended he was perfect.  When he felt the opposition had better talent, he recruited from there.  It gave him criticism, lots of it, during the next campaign as he was smeared by his adversaries.

He was cold, but he was intelligent.
He was sometimes harsh, but he was fair.
He was efficient.
His only real fault was his insistance on paying lip service to the British monarchy instead of embracing the future.  Comes with bein a conservative, I guess.

Now... we're stuck with Trudeau.  A guy who dislikes French Canadians and believes we should assimilate to the superior culture.  A guy who believes we're not at war with ISIS.  A guy who thinks muslim extremism is a welcome addition to Canada, more than English-French bilingualism.  And you want me to *love* the guy for that? I'm sorry, it won't happen.

That is how I see Trudeau's policies so far:

viper37

And it seems Duffy was not guilty, on all account.

Drakken

I don't know what news is surprisng me the most today - that Prince died or Duffy was acquitted and cleared on all counts.

crazy canuck

I am not that surprised.  The Senate rules were at best ambiguous.  I think the reaction of the judge to the PMO antics was telling.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on April 21, 2016, 06:15:15 PM
I don't know what news is surprisng me the most today - that Prince died or Duffy was acquitted and cleared on all counts.
It just proves the Senate needs urgent reforms, and not just for its internal rules.