News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2016, 04:16:35 PM
The funny thing is that from the perspective of this side of the country, we have very little to do with anyone East of the Rockies.
commerce-wise, it is has it has always been since the founding of the colony: We trade with New-Brunswick, Ontario and New England.  Basically, the St-Lawrence seaway and where it extends, even though we ain't limited by rivers anymore.
There much more trade going on with Boston and New York than with Vancouver or Calgary.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2016, 06:45:19 PM
that's it, I have to visit Manitoba now! :)

I actually am, next month. :shifty:

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2016, 06:52:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2016, 04:16:35 PM
The funny thing is that from the perspective of this side of the country, we have very little to do with anyone East of the Rockies.
commerce-wise, it is has it has always been since the founding of the colony: We trade with New-Brunswick, Ontario and New England.  Basically, the St-Lawrence seaway and where it extends, even though we ain't limited by rivers anymore.
There much more trade going on with Boston and New York than with Vancouver or Calgary.

The story of how BC became a part of Canada rather than the US is a very interesting read.  Even in hindsight it does not at all seem the natural choice to have made.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on April 11, 2016, 04:41:49 PM
and no one is out to get Quebec today - except a few Quebec-bashers here and there.
how did that deal to buy NB Power go? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2016, 06:49:34 PM
I never would have guessed you would label parts of Canada as basically further north iterations of America  cities.

I labelled one. Vancouver. Because it seems like it is a part of the Northwestern cultural zone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The ban on visitors with DUIs makes it essentially impossible to find someone here in Iowa to travel to Canada with.

Anyone know the rationale for this law?  Were American tourists mowing down locals before the change?

Veep: deficits and debt per se don't cause inflation.  Only if the central bank accomodates the borrowing and increases money supply to keep interest rates constant.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2016, 09:22:27 PM
The ban on visitors with DUIs makes it essentially impossible to find someone here in Iowa to travel to Canada with.

Its not a "ban" and the discretion not to allow entry because of a criminal record, including driving under the influence, has been around for a long time.  The ability to obtain a waiver has also been around for years.

Fyi, the Americans have almost exactly the same rules.

viper37

In other news, the Can$ has gone sky high today, closing at 0,77$US, (up 0,62$).

And the LPC is back to their old ways already, with 500$ a ticket cocktail organized by a big lawyer firm of Toronto.  Where people could meet the Minister of Justice.  As a simple MP.  From Vancouver.  To listen to legitimate grievances of Toronto's lawyers.  And to discuss Canadian politics in general.

That is totally logical.  There is no reason to suspect a lie here.  Big shot lawyers and businesman do this everyday, pay 500-1000$ to meet an MP and discuss Canadian politics in general.

Malthus, were you invited? :P

Barrister

Anyone know the rationale for this law?  Were American tourists mowing down locals before the change?

Reciprocity.  Canadians have the same worries about being convicted of impaireds.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Veep: deficits and debt per se don't cause inflation.  Only if the central bank accomodates the borrowing and increases money supply to keep interest rates constant.

I think it is very reasonable and common for countries to ban people with criminal records from entering their countries.  What is odd is why so many Americans have criminal records. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 11, 2016, 11:01:49 PM
I think it is very reasonable and common for countries to ban people with criminal records from entering their countries.  What is odd is why so many Americans have criminal records. 

We are tough on crime unlike you wimpy other countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2016, 11:28:10 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 11, 2016, 11:01:49 PM

We are tough on crime unlike you wimpy other countries.

:worthy:

And I love you guys for it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2016, 10:56:28 PM
Reciprocity.  Canadians have the same worries about being convicted of impaireds.

Asoka.  All part of the big post 9/11 clamp down?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2016, 11:46:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2016, 10:56:28 PM

Asoka.  All part of the big post 9/11 clamp down?

No, I think it's a long-standing rule.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 11, 2016, 06:27:02 PM
Yes, yes, the country is obviously divided in more ways than one - but the fact that Quebec is already removed from the equation - it is its own weird "thing", in that it does not participate in the political realm in the same way, and thus can either be ignored, or contained within the peculiarity of the province, means whatever emerges from Quebec's own political scene is labeled as weird, ethnicized, fundamentally other. Other provinces have interests. Quebec has "tribe".

The notion that Quebec is a fundamental outsider while places like Nunavut and Newfoundland are "insiders" strikes me as slightly risible.

If you live in Alberta, the "other" is central Canada - an entity that combines Ontario and Quebec.

People in Quebec lump the RoC together; but people outside Quebec just as often divide things totally differently.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius