And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on April 11, 2016, 02:40:34 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 11, 2016, 02:37:38 PM
Despite his valiant attempts to become cultured, CC remains a barbarian outside the gates.  :(

There is indeed a deux solitudes. It is a reality, not a play of minds.

Even I, for the life of me, cannot name any artist whatsoever who is or was nominated to the Juno Awards, save Anne Murray (who no one gives a damn about in Quebec) and maybe Blue Rodeo, the Tragically Hip, and K.D Lang. They are nonexistent to us.

If it helps, the same goes for me.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Despite his valiant attempts to become cultured, CC remains a barbarian outside the gates.  :(

Even I, for the life of me, cannot name any artist whatsoever who is or was nominated to the Juno Awards, save Anne Murray (who no one gives a damn about in Quebec) and maybe Blue Rodeo, the Tragically Hip, and K.D Lang. They are nonexistent to us.

Actually there are a lot more than two.  It is a conceit of the English and French to dismiss the rest.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2016, 02:39:45 PM
And I also would never attempt to be a federal politician  :)

Probably too honest for such a career anyway.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2016, 12:01:30 PM
That is why I asked the question.  All those things are possible without being born in the Province of Quebec.
Of course they are possible.  But they generally make you unpopular in Canada.  See the criticism against Harper for speaking French.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2016, 02:42:36 PM

Actually there are a lot more than two.  It is a conceit of the English and French to dismiss the rest.

I don't think many in Toronto or Vancouver for that matter think that there are only two.  :lol:

Drakken

Let's say that we do not care very much about the Mennonite 'solitude'.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2016, 02:43:55 PM
That is why I asked the question.  All those things are possible without being born in the Province of Quebec.
Of course they are possible.  But they generally make you unpopular in Canada.  See the criticism against Harper for speaking French.

Every federal political leader of a party speaks French.  :hmm:

crazy canuck

I think we covered this before.  But the only reason I knew there was some criticism of Harper's language skills is because you told us there had been some criticism.  That was certainly not the reason he was unpopular in English speaking Canada.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2016, 02:01:17 PM
Snails > cheese curds
Patronizing Texan  :glare:

Seriously:  :yucky: snails!?!!

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on April 11, 2016, 02:45:23 PM

That is not who I had in mind  ;)

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on April 11, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
and as politicians they're all hated, so I guess he's still right :P

Every federal political leader of a party speaks French.  :hmm:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 11, 2016, 02:45:00 PM

I don't think many in Toronto or Vancouver for that matter think that there are only two.  :lol:

:yes:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2016, 02:02:34 PM
Quebecers generally won't support someone who doesn't speak French.  Almost all Quebecers are bilingual, but few anglo Canadians are.

So, much like the federal civil service, Canadian leadership candidates are disproportionately from Quebec due to the need for such people to be bilingual.
English Canadians would never elect someone who does not speak english or speaks a very bad english.  There is no such thing as a French Canadian politician, municipal, provincial or federal, speaking a broken english.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on April 11, 2016, 02:45:23 PM

The other biggie embedded in the Constitution itself are the Native Canadians. They also tend to clash in interests with the non-Native Canadian Québécois the most.

Of course, in the big cities such as Toronto or Vancouver, the notion of a unified Anglo Canada is an anachronism now.