News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2016, 01:03:12 PM
So Alberta's deficit for 2016-2017 is going to be ten billion dollars.  All for a province of 4 million people.

The number was so high the finance minister Joe Ceci refused to actually say the words "ten billion", saying only it would be $5 billion more than previously though (which was $5 billion). :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/finance-minister-warns-of-looming-10-billion-deficit-budget-1.3461744

What a spendthrift people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

So Alberta's deficit for 2016-2017 is going to be ten billion dollars.  All for a province of 4 million people.

The number was so high the finance minister Joe Ceci refused to actually say the words "ten billion", saying only it would be $5 billion more than previously though (which was $5 billion). :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/finance-minister-warns-of-looming-10-billion-deficit-budget-1.3461744

Ethnics can't manage their economy. Film at 11.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2016, 01:10:08 PM

What a spendthrift people.

Sadly successive PC (and now NDP) governments have been.  We have the highest per capita spending in Canada.  We used to be able to afford it when oil was high - not so much now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

At least you guys aren't California. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on February 26, 2016, 01:35:52 PM

California has a balanced budget. -_-

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2016, 01:41:12 PM

California has a balanced budget. -_-

It is technically illegal for it not to be :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2016, 03:57:06 PM

California has good weather

Tracy had to take one of the boys to the doctors, so I came home early.

Right now I'm sitting outside in a sweater as the kids play in melting snow.  It's +14 on February 26. :cool:

Admiral Yi

A great victory for the people.  Death to austerity!

Admiral Yi

Any idea what Al's debt/GDP is Beeb?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2016, 05:22:44 PM

Until recently we had zero debt.  Only within the last year did we even go negative on net debt (assets minus debt).  So that's the left's argument - we have lots of room to carry debt.

The problem is that they're not borrowing for some specific investments.  They're borrowing to pay for day to day expenditures.  Alberta is hitting a long term structural problem where the price of oil seems unlikely to increase significantly for years.  The responsible thing to do would be to try to trim expenditures so that the government budget doesn't rely on $80+ oil prices in order to pay our bills.  Then, if/when high prices do return, we can start saving/investing like we used to in the 70s.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2016, 05:29:35 PM

Until recently we had zero debt.  Only within the last year did we even go negative on net debt (assets minus debt).  So that's the left's argument - we have lots of room to carry debt.

The problem is that they're not borrowing for some specific investments.  They're borrowing to pay for day to day expenditures.  Alberta is hitting a long term structural problem where the price of oil seems unlikely to increase significantly for years.  The responsible thing to do would be to try to trim expenditures so that the government budget doesn't rely on $80+ oil prices in order to pay our bills.  Then, if/when high prices do return, we can start saving/investing like we used to in the 70s.

Agreed.  The increase in spending over the last decade or so on structural payments was extreme.  The other knock on effect is that Alberta public sector wages tended to increase those wages across the country.  Now that Alberta needs to tackle its structural deficit other provinces will have an easier time dealing with theirs.   

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2016, 11:28:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2016, 05:29:35 PM

Agreed.  The increase in spending over the last decade or so on structural payments was extreme.  The other knock on effect is that Alberta public sector wages tended to increase those wages across the country.  Now that Alberta needs to tackle its structural deficit other provinces will have an easier time dealing with theirs.

I didn't say anything about public sector wages. :zipped:

Monoriu

Alberta doesn't have a rainy day fund? 

Barrister