News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2016, 03:50:34 PM
Sadly, the argument is not borne out by evidence.  The Netherlands seen a sharp increase in sexual slavery since the legalization of the sex trade.

Passing laws requiring employees to be paid for their work increases slavery? Huh.

And color me skeptical. Show me evidence these amazing numbers of slaves in the Netherlands.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2016, 04:56:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2016, 03:50:34 PM
Sadly, the argument is not borne out by evidence.  The Netherlands seen a sharp increase in sexual slavery since the legalization of the sex trade.

Passing laws requiring employees to be paid for their work increases slavery? Huh.

And color me skeptical. Show me evidence these amazing numbers of slaves in the Netherlands.

Not quite.  Making a type of work legal increases the number of people doing that kind of work.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 05:16:41 PM
Not quite.  Making a type of work legal increases the number of people doing that kind of work.

When it is illegal how can you be sure how many people are doing that kind of work?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Do western countries with legal prostitution have a higher rate of prositutes? It doesn't seem like the Netherlands or Australia have a hooker epidemic
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

You think people who are not already likely to become a prostitute would become a prostitute if only it was legal?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2016, 06:00:24 PM

You think people who are not already likely to become a prostitute would become a prostitute if only it was legal?

I think the words "already likely to become" are confusing.

I would say there are some people who would engage in prostitution if it were legal who currently do not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Billions: the Metallica episode.  Good episode, but really, Metallica?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2016, 06:00:24 PM

I think the words "already likely to become" are confusing.

I would say there are some people who would engage in prostitution if it were legal who currently do not.

Based on what?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2016, 04:56:08 PM

Passing laws legalizing prostitution increases demand for prostitution.  To satisfy that demand brothels use kidnapped persons.  It's pretty simple, let me draw you a picture.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2016, 01:56:49 PMPassing laws legalizing prostitution increases demand for prostitution.  To satisfy that demand brothels use kidnapped persons.  It's pretty simple, let me draw you a picture.

makes sense that the number of trafficked girls in netherlands has increased, but has the overall global trafficking of women increased? a quick google search shows the majority of these girls come from third world countries. these girls might normally have been trafficked, and their masters simply shipped them out to netherlands rather than new orleans, etc.

The Brain

Quote from: LaCroix on February 13, 2016, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2016, 01:56:49 PMPassing laws legalizing prostitution increases demand for prostitution.  To satisfy that demand brothels use kidnapped persons.  It's pretty simple, let me draw you a picture.

makes sense that the number of trafficked girls in netherlands has increased, but has the overall global trafficking of women increased? a quick google search shows the majority of these girls come from third world countries. these girls might normally have been trafficked, and their masters simply shipped them out to netherlands rather than new orleans, etc.

Traffickers don't care about black people. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on February 13, 2016, 02:09:45 PM

They wouldn't be kidnapped and sold if they didn't have a place to go so increasing demand means increasing supply.  It's also not exactly a product that you can just sit on and wait for markets to open up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2016, 02:17:47 PMThey wouldn't be kidnapped and sold if they didn't have a place to go so increasing demand means increasing supply.  It's also not exactly a product that you can just sit on and wait for markets to open up.

but there's always a market. it's the sex trade. the market existed before the netherlands passed its law -- the global trafficking infrastructure was already laid down.

although, I don't know how the sex trafficking industry works: do the traffickers supply the girls then wash their hands of the situation, or do they bring the girls over and manage them?