Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 02:53:55 AM
One that lacks style?

If you say so.

There's been some good work done in that style over the decades, and it has its strong points (as well as some weaknesses).

Savonarola

QuoteTrudeau greeted as 'hottie' at APEC summit on front page of Philippine newspaper

Who's sexier: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau or Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto?

That was the burning question asked on the front page of a Manila newspaper Wednesday morning as the first day of the Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation leaders' summit opened.

A pair of large photos of the two leaders filled the top half of the Philippine Daily Inquirer broadsheet.

The caption said: "Ladies choice Are you with Team Nieto or Team Trudeau?"

The newspaper said that the two leaders have been described in reports as "APEC hotties."

An accompanying story that described the arrival of the 21 APEC leaders on Tuesday said employees and staff of the country's Bureau of Immigration and members of local media tried to get selfies with the prime minister after he landed.

None of this unfolded in front of the Canadian media travelling with the prime minister.

"Aware of Trudeau's popularity, a member of the Malacanang media office earlier reminded journalists covering his arrival against shouting or making giddy shrieks," the newspaper said.

Trudeau opened his first day in the Philippine capital by holding a roundtable discussion with Canadian business leaders at a downtown hotel, joined by International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland.

Here's Enrique giving us blue steel:

And Justin doing the same

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Enrique. He has learned to get his weave under control.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

All Justin needs to finish off that look is a puffy pirate shirt.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 06:03:32 PM
All Justin needs to finish off that look is a puffy pirate shirt.

I don't know.  I have no criteria for judging the hotness of men, but to me in that picture he looks like a 3rd-rate stand-up comic who thinks he's a lot funnier than he really is.  I'd kind of that that wouldn't be considered hot, but, hey, whatever works for you, I guess.

Grey Fox

Justin has cut his hair since, tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2015, 06:56:47 PM

So? Wiki shows he had his hair like that at least as recently as 2013. Girl can't put it down to youthful mistakes. He's gotta own that disaster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 17, 2015, 09:21:35 PM

That was never the argument here. Just that there are racist Canadians and Harper figured out how to galvanize them into supporting him.
and that was a silly argument.  this is what I'm saying.
racist Canadians will rally behind any party that talks about immigration or radicalism because they believe all immigrants are dangerous radicals.
that does not mean we should refuse to adress the issue though or any issue because morons will get behing any party talking about such issues.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 07:07:45 PM

So? Wiki shows he had his hair like that at least as recently as 2013. Girl can't put it down to youthful mistakes. He's gotta own that disaster.

Yes but Justin also learned to own that weave since.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 08:15:13 AM
And of course the Conservatives tried to exploit that with their ill-conceived Niqab banning
no.  I think, after our two terrorist attacks here, they begun to understand that religious radicals can pose a problem, that canadian youths and new muslim converts are being radicalized by some people, and such symbols must disapear from our public life.

(struck down by the Court)
No.  That is why there was an appeal from which Justin has retired.  The court never ruled on the full issue, only on the rule vs law.

Quoteand floating the idea of a barbaric cultural tip line.
honestly, that's overblown rethoric and you know it. 
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=989099
  • Creating a new measure under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) that will render permanent residents and temporary residents inadmissible to Canada if they practice polygamy;
  • Strengthening the Civil Marriage Act bycodifying existing legal requirements at the national level for "free and enlightened consent" and establishing a new national absolute minimum age of 16 for marriage;
  • Criminalizing certain conduct related to early and forced marriage ceremonies, including the act of removing a child from Canada for the purpose of such marriages; and
  • Limiting the defence of provocation so that it would not apply in so-called "honour" killings and many spousal homicides. A new court-ordered peace bond will also be created to protect potential victims of early or forced marriages where there are grounds to fear that a person may commit a forced or early marriage offence.
  I don't particular care why someone might try to justify being racist.  I do care quite a bit when a government attempts to use that racism for political advantage.
that is your (flawed) perception.  Now we have a moron in power willing to compromise on our security to achieve petty political goals.
It's impossible to receive 25 000 Syrian refugees within 45 days and the calls of racism adressed to the Conservatives instead of answering any legitimate questions about the needed resources are beyond stupid.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2015, 06:10:44 PM
I don't know.  I have no criteria for judging the hotness of men, but to me in that picture he looks like a 3rd-rate stand-up comic who thinks he's a lot funnier than he really is.  I'd kind of that that wouldn't be considered hot, but, hey, whatever works for you, I guess.

In case it wasn't totally clear, I was mocking Justin.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2015, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 07:07:45 PM

Yes but Justin also learned to own that weave since.

According to google images, he only got his shit sorted this year. Also, he had rocked short hair in the past, so really no evidence that he has learned from his mistakes. ;)

crazy canuck

I suppose we have reached the point of gender equality when a male politician is judged on his looks.  :lol:

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 07:28:52 PM
I suppose we have reached the point of gender equality when a male politician is judged on his looks.  :lol:

:lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 07:28:52 PM

They have been ever since TV. Kennedy didn't beat Nixon because of his vast experience and policy announcements. Jimmy Carter got a decisive jump in the polls in the 1976 election when he changed the side of his head his hair parted on. Murica!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."