And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2015, 01:45:33 PM
Being a lawyer is great training for anything. :mad:
I respectfully disagree.  You don't take an accountant to plead a case in front of the Supreme Court.  While should we hire lawyers to do management? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Lawyers might be pretty handy at law-making.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2015, 01:57:10 PM
It's a self-sustaining job, then? ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 01:52:07 PM
The CBC english network has always relied on mostly american tv shows to fill its schedule, leaving inovation to the French branch.  Why is it so important that CBC be the one to air American shows instead of Global?

I don't think this is true at all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2015, 01:57:10 PM

And negotiating with other parties, say at the international level (where she has experience) over treaties (something else she has done).

Has Viper become the new Hans  :hmm:

Barrister

Why is it that a private radio station can create a show with 3 people while the CBC requires at least 8?

Because the CBC is a union shop, of course.

Quote from: viper37
The CBC english network has always relied on mostly american tv shows to fill its schedule, leaving inovation to the French branch.  Why is it so important that CBC be the one to air American shows instead of Global?

To be fair, this is absolutely not true.

Look at today's CBC schedule:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/pg-tv.html

Not a US import to be found.  Now there is some Coronation Street, a British import, but that's it.  Everything else is all-Canadian.

It's also all-terrible, but that's for another argument.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on November 04, 2015, 02:04:54 PM

This life.  British.
Canada's smartest person.  American production.
Banished.  British.
Best Recipes Ever.  Canadian food show.  Not different from American food show.
Cracked. Canadian
Dragon's Den.  Same as American tv show with Trump.
Heartland.  Canadian tv show straigth out of an American book series.

going through the list, there's not many original canadian tv shows on CBC.
http://www.cbc.ca/television/shows/

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2015, 02:05:25 PM
And negotiating with other parties, say at the international level (where she has experience) over treaties (something else she has done).
I don't hate lawyers.
Her Wikipedia page was a bit thin, imho, to be over-enthusiastic.

Grey Fox

If we're talking TV concept, which you are viper, Francophone tv doesn't really invent anything either.

Also Dragon's Den is a british concept and D. Trump is not on it in the USA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2015, 01:21:35 PM
I think CBC fawning over the Liberals - or the NDP had they won - makes plenty of sense given that the CBC was on the verge of liquidating a significant amount of their functional real-estate (studios etc) to survive the latest rounds of cuts from Harper. People tend to have somewhat positive feelings towards the people they perceive as saving their jobs and valuing their contributions.

It's not a terribly good idea for a publicly funded news organization to provide more favorable coverage to governments that give it more money.  Undermines their raison d'etre.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 02:52:03 PM

This life.  British.
Banished.  British.
Cracked. Canadian

Meowtf?

How is "Canada's Smartest Person" an American show?  It's produced and filmed in Canada.

The CBC has some British shows, sure.  But that isn't the same as being American shows.

Yes, some shows may be similar to American shows (like cooking shows), but that doesn't make them American shows.  They're still being shot in Canada using Canadian talent.

And Dragon's Den?  Did you know the show actually originates out of Japan.  The Japanese then licensed the format around the world.  The CBC show though again is shot in Canada, using Canadians.

So sorry.  I don't even like the CBC, but I have to admit they do not show American shows on it.  I think the only one is they usually show an American kids movie on Sundays.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2015, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 02:52:03 PM

This life.  British.
Banished.  British.
Cracked. Canadian

Meowtf?

How is "Canada's Smartest Person" an American show?  It's produced and filmed in Canada.

The CBC has some British shows, sure.  But that isn't the same as being American shows.

Yes, some shows may be similar to American shows (like cooking shows), but that doesn't make them American shows.  They're still being shot in Canada using Canadian talent.

And Dragon's Den?  Did you know the show actually originates out of Japan.  The Japanese then licensed the format around the world.  The CBC show though again is shot in Canada, using Canadians.

So sorry.  I don't even like the CBC, but I have to admit they do not show American shows on it.  I think the only one is they usually show an American kids movie on Sundays.

Yeah, it doesn't mesh with what  Viper said at all to begin with.  Viper you're out of touch.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 02:54:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2015, 02:05:25 PM
I don't hate lawyers.
Her Wikipedia page was a bit thin, imho, to be over-enthusiastic.

Wait, you were critical of her and all you know about her is what someone has posted about her on a Wiki page?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2015, 02:59:04 PMIt's not a terribly good idea for a publicly funded news organization to provide more favorable coverage to governments that give it more money.  Undermines their raison d'etre.

I agree.

However, the people who make up an organization are people, so I don't think it's unreasonable to see different attitudes in an organization towards governments that want to destroy it vs. governments that it's valuable.

Personally I think the CBC did a pretty good job during the Harper years - there's also an incentive to not antagonize the people in charge of you, so like or dislike is not the whole picture there. Additionally, I don't think the CBC is being unreasonably favourable towards the new gov't either - I'd characterize the complaints mostly as sour grapes and airing of pre-existing anti-CBC bias.

I expect the CBC will right there with the rest of the media if and when significant corruption or incompetence shows up. I don't think positive coverage of a well-managed public event is much of an example of "unreasonably favourable" coverage.