News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Top 1% salary tax payers in Hong Kong earn about US$400k or more.  A pre-tax income of US$400k here translates to about US$340k in aftertax income. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on November 03, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
Top 1% salary tax payers in Hong Kong earn about US$400k or more.  A pre-tax income of US$400k here translates to about US$340k in aftertax income. 

What do you do with all that money Mono?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Will the Liberals be able to hold their promise on Syrian refugees? (French)

As I tried telling you guys during the campaign, it will be impossible to grant asylum to more Syrian refugees than the Conservatives had accepted without sacrificing elsewhere.  In this case, the sacrifice will be refugees from other countries, it is the only way the objective of 25 000 by the end of the year could have a shot at being successful.  Even then, it's doubtful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 11:24:46 AM
New numbers for the income of the top 1% in Canada.  It starts at $222,000 (still seems remarkably low compared to other Western economies iirc).  So the new tax bracket of 200k is about right.  According to the article linked below the top 1% already contributes 20% of tax revenues to the government.  This coming tax shift will make that number grow somewhat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadas-1-per-cent-club-unchanged-but-faces-prospect-of-bigger-tax-bill/article27077119/

QuoteMr. Trudeau was heavily criticized during the election campaign by the Conservatives and NDP for saying that "a large percentage of small businesses" are ways for the wealthy to reduce their tax bill.

That's problem right there.  Someone using every trick in the book to avoid paying his dues in the province he works and live in is going to consider me, my clients and my suppliers as scumbags.  And I am supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Justing is the answer, how stupid was the question?

I may have had minor disagreement with the Cons' latest fiscal policies, but Trudeau is simply an aristocrat who wouldn't have been out of place in 1789's France.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 11:37:08 PM

As BB likes to point out, civil servants don't really make that much.  Not even the absolute most senior civil servants.  And I am very far from the top.   :sleep:

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 12:32:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 11:24:46 AM
New numbers for the income of the top 1% in Canada.  It starts at $222,000 (still seems remarkably low compared to other Western economies iirc).  So the new tax bracket of 200k is about right.  According to the article linked below the top 1% already contributes 20% of tax revenues to the government.  This coming tax shift will make that number grow somewhat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadas-1-per-cent-club-unchanged-but-faces-prospect-of-bigger-tax-bill/article27077119/

QuoteMr. Trudeau was heavily criticized during the election campaign by the Conservatives and NDP for saying that "a large percentage of small businesses" are ways for the wealthy to reduce their tax bill.

That's problem right there.  Someone using every trick in the book to avoid paying his dues in the province he works and live in is going to consider me, my clients and my suppliers as scumbags.  And I am supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Justing is the answer, how stupid was the question?

I may have had minor disagreement with the Cons' latest fiscal policies, but Trudeau is simply an aristocrat who wouldn't have been out of place in 1789's France.

Truth hurts, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

try starting one, then we'll talk.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2015, 01:39:32 AM

As BB likes to point out, civil servants don't really make that much.  Not even the absolute most senior civil servants.  And I am very far from the top.   :sleep:

I figured your savings had led to a robust investment portfolio that had catapulted you into the 1%.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

A cabinet of 31.  Trudeau wasn't joking when he said he would do a deficit.  So many people to thank...

Grey Fox

That's under 40, the previous cabinet where more people need to be thanked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2015, 01:39:32 AM

I think that's more your line than mine, Mono.  I'm fairly compensated for what I do. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Here is the cabinet:

The Right Honourable Justin P. J. Trudeau Prime Minister, Intergovernmental Affairs and Youth.

The Honourable Ralph Goodale Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness

The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food

The Honourable Stéphane Dion Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Honourable John McCallum Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

The Honourable Carolyn Bennett Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs

The Honourable Scott Brison President of the Treasury Board

The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc Leader of the Government in the House of Commons

The Honourable Navdeep Singh Bains Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development

The Honourable William Francis Morneau Minister of Finance

The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada

The Honourable Judy M. Foote Minister of Public Services and Procurement

The Honourable Chrystia Freeland Minister of International Trade

The Honourable Jane Philpott Minister of Health

The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos Minister of Families, Children and Social Development

The Honourable Marc Garneau Minister of Transport

The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau Minister of International Development and La Francophonie

The Honourable James Gordon Carr Minister of Natural Resources

The Honourable Mélanie Joly Minister of Canadian Heritage

The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier Minister of National Revenue

The Honourable Kent Hehr Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

The Honourable Catherine McKenna Minister of Environment and Climate Change

The Honourable Harjit Singh Sajjan Minister of National Defence

The Honourable MaryAnn Mihychuk Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour

The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi Minister of Infrastructure and Communities

The Honourable Maryam Monsef Minister of Democratic Institutions

The Honourable Carla Qualtrough Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities

The Honourable Hunter Tootoo Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

The Honourable Kirsty Duncan Minister of Science

The Honourable Patricia A. Hajdu Minister of Status of Women

The Honourable Bardish Chagger Minister of Small Business and Tourism

Valmy

The Ministry for Canadian Heritage. That is the dream post right there.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 11:35:28 AM

Don't knock Canadian Heritage.  It has authority over arts, culture, official languages, as well as sports.

As a politician there are lots of opportunities in Heritage to direct funds to your favourite donors causes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 11:35:28 AM

I presume it involves in part arguing with enraged folks from Quebec and First Nations ...  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius