News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2015, 03:05:26 PM
There is no evidence that rules against pedophilia make life better for the alleged victimes of pedophilia...

Yes there is, there's plenty of evidence, starting with the fact that people who are convicted for sexually abusing children are sent to prison. In addition, there are a number of social services and counselling designed to help abused children and their families cope with the trauma.

And you're seriously comparing wearing a niqab to sexually abusing children?

Valmy

Yeah...the whole pedophilia thing was weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 02:12:07 PM
Though I guess GF invited this upon himself by claiming it had something to do with misogyny.

The hijab, niquad & Burka are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Islam is an anti-women religion.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 05:40:06 PM
Though I guess GF invited this upon himself by claiming it had something to do with misogyny.

The hijab, niquad & Burka are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Islam is an anti-women religion.

High heels are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Fashion statements like that are anti-women.

Jacob

You're fighting misogyny by telling women what to do, and if they disagree you want to use the law to force them to obey you?

That doesn't sound particularly intellectually coherent.

Valmy

Well I disagree. Items of clothing cannot be misogynistic. To the extent that Islam is anti-woman is a problem for Muslims to worry about.

You do not need to go there dude. You don't want a bunch of Islamic cultural elements coming into your country and changing things. I get it. Many Muslim countries would certainly feel similar if tons of Canadians were moving in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

They stoned us to death very fast, we eat a lot of pork.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2015, 06:04:33 PM

You're fighting misogyny by telling women what to do, and if they disagree you want to use the law to force them to obey you?

Would it be okay if I was a women telling other women?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2015, 05:43:04 PM

High heels are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Fashion statements like that are anti-women.

High heels are not required by any male driven religion, afaik. It is not the same.

Have you picked a party to vote for CC? I think I am going to give every other Quebecer on this board an heart attack & vote Liberal.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 06:34:37 PMWould it be okay if I was a women telling other women?

The ideal is that people - including women - are free to make their own decisions on how they dress.

Monoriu

I think Stephen Harper is like a bunny ear lawyer.  Here is a lawyer who does a good job and wins many court battles.  But he has a personality quirk, and he wears bunny ears to work.  Ok, he maybe weird, or he may have violated the company's dress policy just to pursue the girl of his dreams.  But as long as he wins his court battles, he is still a net asset to the company.  Instead of devising ways to make more money for the firm, the partners now spend all day debating if wearing bunny ears to work should be banned. 

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2015, 06:04:33 PM

Sometimes it takes one form of coercion to combat another, presumably worse one.  In fact, that's pretty much how government works.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 01:30:49 PM
It is not racism, it is anti-clericalism.

I am sorry - the way this argument is being played is totally, at best, xenophobia, at worst, fucking racism.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Why? If they didn't insist on hiding their faces we wouldn't be having any of this conversation.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2015, 02:05:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2015, 01:57:24 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 11:18:29 AM
How do you resolve the misogynistic thing tho?

When people - like Harper and BB - who have never given a crap about misogyny and whose policies are indifferent (at best) towards issues of misogyny start throwing the word around to harass specific ethnic and religious minorities for electoral gain, you resolve it by dismissing it as calculated racism.

Hey, Fuck you too Jacob. :)

I'm sorry, I missed the time in our 10+ years of political discussions here where you've shown any concern for misogyny politically, or indeed any political concern whatsoever for women's issues of any kind.

Now, you're a decent guy and all, but using this new found political concern with misogyny as a justification for pandering to anti-muslim bigots is pretty damn weak-sauce. I was dismayed to see it from Harper, but I'm genuinely surprised to hear it from you.