News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The NDP is just a front for Putin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

Who?

Our real leaders are proper commies, like Mao.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:16:19 AM
Is there a reason we should think voting for the NDP is bad.  Is there something you aren't telling us?  :P

No. Of course not. But my point is, that the majority of people have always felt that way (see BB's paranoia). So if the media sell an NDP majority, you could start seeing a shift away as neocons start selling nightmare visions of a Stalinist dictatorship.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2015, 09:38:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

Who?

Our real leaders are proper commies, like Mao.

Is it time for a great leap forward? Are you going to make steel in your backyard?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2015, 09:40:17 AM
Is there a reason we should think voting for the NDP is bad.  Is there something you aren't telling us?  :P

No. Of course not. But my point is, that the majority of people have always felt that way (see BB's paranoia). So if the media sell an NDP majority, you could start seeing a shift away as neocons start selling nightmare visions of a Stalinist dictatorship.

That was the joke - a poor one I admit.  Its kind of like when I don't get Valmy's sarcasm until its too late.

Valmy

you could start seeing a shift away as neocons start selling nightmare visions of a Stalinist dictatorship.

Being Neocons they would get warm and fuzzy feelings, as it would remind them of their youth. Besides it would only help their task to spreading modern western values with force -_-

But GF already informed me they are Maoists so you cannot fool me.

Malthus

Instead of "Stalinist dictatorship", most will think "taxes going up to pay for silly lefty frippery".

Not quite as frightening, but possibly more realistic.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
That was the joke - a poor one I admit.  Its kind of like when I don't get Valmy's sarcasm until its too late.

My jokes are not poor ones :angry: ....all of the time.

Too late for what? :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 09:43:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:42:39 AM

My jokes are not poor ones :angry: ....all of the time.

Too late for what? :huh:

Too late in the sense that I have already posted thinking you were serious.  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 09:43:39 AM

Instead of "Stalinist dictatorship", most will think "taxes going up to pay for silly lefty frippery".

That is the reason the NDP are desperately trying to find a star candidate who will become their Finance Minister if they form government.

Josephus

Ok. But that's also a bit of an exaggeration. The NDP has been slowly moving away from that a bit and moving closer to the center. (Really the Canadian federal political spectrum is three dots hovering around the centre). They may go after corporate taxes and those of lawyers the very rich, but I doubt the tax rate of the middle class (the real middle class I mean) will be raised. The NDP is really not the "Leftist" party it once was. In Ontario, Horwath's NDP in many instances were to the right of Wynne's Liberals.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2015, 09:51:38 AM

Ok. But that's also a bit of an exaggeration. The NDP has been slowly moving away from that a bit and moving closer to the center. (Really the Canadian federal political spectrum is three dots hovering around the centre). They may go after corporate taxes and those of lawyers the very rich, but I doubt the tax rate of the middle class (the real middle class I mean) will be raised. The NDP is really not the "Leftist" party it once was. In Ontario, Horwath's NDP in many instances were to the right of Wynne's Liberals.

Yep.  If everyone sticks to their election platform it is only under the Liberal tax plan that I will pay more tax.  I will actually pay a bit less tax under the NDP plan because they say they are not going to increase personal income taxes and they are going to reduce the small business corp tax.  However, they are definitely going to boost corporate taxes for the large corporations.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2015, 09:51:38 AM

very rich being what? 80k a year?  Last time a leftist politician decided to tax the very rich, it was 55% retro-active for the über rich of 80k$/year and just a little less for those between 50k-80k$.

Color me skeptical.

They'll most likely raise the basic tax rates, reduce various exemptions, hike corporate tax rates, give incentives to families -like a national kindergarden program (worst thing ever to happen to Canada, if it comes to that)-, reverse the latest tax cuts of the Cons (the only good thing they will do, but it will hurt the economy more than it helped), increase gov't spending, run large deficits, cut provincial transfers, and leave the country in shambles for the next gov't to take care of.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 10:04:31 AM
However, they are definitely going to boost corporate taxes for the large corporations.
you mean those that have the HQ set up in tax haven?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I'm from Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I don't need to evoke Stalin to know how shitty NDP governments are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.