News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2015, 01:30:50 PM
More evidence that taxation policy by referendum is a dumb idea.  The vote to increase sales tax in Greater Vancouver to fund transit projects failed to pass.  The infrastructure still needs to be built but now it will be significantly delayed while Municipal and Provincial politicians try to figure out other ways to pay for it.   

A referendum to fund transit projects?  How grotesquely American.  :P

Syt

Direct democracy relies on the voters being politically informed and deciding things rationally, not from their gut feeling. Since that's rarely the case we have representative democracies.

That requires politicians that are well informed and who can decide things rationally instead of from their gut feeling.

So we're fucked either way. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Even worse, based on the voting results CC cited, in Amerika, there is almost no chance politicians would have the balls to force out a tax rise that just got shut down 60/40 in a referendum.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2015, 11:25:43 PM
Direct democracy relies on the voters being politically informed and deciding things rationally, not from their gut feeling. Since that's rarely the case we have representative democracies.

That requires politicians that are well informed and who can decide things rationally instead of from their gut feeling.

I consider myself rational, but if I were to vote on that referendum, I would not no.  The increased sales tax that I have to pay is certain and immediate.  The improved transit system may not benefit me directly, the project may take many years to materialise, there maybe cost over-runs that require a further increase in taxes down the road etc.  The cost/benefit is unfavourable from a purely personal and selfish standpoint. 

I must be clear that I will not vote on the referendum though.  The above is a purely hypothetical scenario.     

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2015, 11:33:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2015, 11:25:43 PM

I consider myself rational, but if I were to vote on that referendum, I would not no.  The increased sales tax that I have to pay is certain and immediate.  The improved transit system may not benefit me directly, the project may take many years to materialise, there maybe cost over-runs that require a further increase in taxes down the road etc.  The cost/benefit is unfavourable from a purely personal and selfish standpoint.   

QED
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2015, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2015, 01:30:50 PM
More evidence that taxation policy by referendum is a dumb idea.  The vote to increase sales tax in Greater Vancouver to fund transit projects failed to pass.  The infrastructure still needs to be built but now it will be significantly delayed while Municipal and Provincial politicians try to figure out other ways to pay for it.   

A referendum to fund transit projects?  How grotesquely American.  :P

Yep.  The huge irony is that polls also show that there is overwhelming support for increasing the transit infrastructure.  There was certainly a better way of doing this.

crazy canuck

The Globe has started an new election prediction site that it will update each week.  Currently they project the NDP have a 52% chance of a majority; the Conservatives have a 47% chance; and the Liberals have a 2% chance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2015, 10:42:51 AM
The Globe has started an new election prediction site that it will update each week.  Currently they project the NDP have a 52% chance of a majority; the Conservatives have a 47% chance; and the Liberals have a 2% chance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/
Stay the course Harper, stay the course.  Everything is allllright.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Damn news media  ;)

I wish they wouldn't go on about the NDP. It's not gonna work out well if they continue. People will start going "Oh my God...an NDP majority...we'll be just like Russia.....gotta vote for the Liberals instead"

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Is there a reason we should think voting for the NDP is bad.  Is there something you aren't telling us?  :P