And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2015, 09:41:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 06:12:30 PM
Wait I don't understand. I can choose to leave the US but you can't choose to leave Quebec?
I chose to stay and fight for what I believe is right.
You chose to live in a monarchy because it didn't bother you enough to not do so.
That it doesn't bother you is your thing.

And besides, I don't see any employement opportunity for me in the US right now.

So what meaningful difference would you see if Canada removed its associations with the British monarchy? What symbolism does the monarchy have for you that it offends you so?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2015, 09:45:59 AM
So what meaningful difference would you see if Canada removed its associations with the British monarchy? What symbolism does the monarchy have for you that it offends you so?

Yeah, I don't get it either.  It seems as meaningful as complaining about the bald eagle in the US.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 27, 2015, 10:15:59 AM

Yeah, I don't get it either.  It seems as meaningful as complaining about the bald eagle in the US.

De Jure it is more meaningful.  For example laws are not brought into force at both the Provincial and Federal levels until the Crown's representative signs off on it. De facto these are just ceremonies that are artifacts of what was once more meaningful control. 

viper37

how is it meaningful that you remove the Confederate flag from public buildings?  That symbol means nothing to me, I'm totally neutral toward it. Yet, lots of people want it removed.  Even before the latest event.  I don't think I've ever heard you discussing the idea of moving down South to work, would you have done it instead of the UK?  Working in Mississipi?  Alabama?

The British Empire treated French Canadians like second rate citizens, a fact that many in Canada would like perpetuated.  Just yesterday, there were death threats against the mayor of 95% francophone city because she refused to translate every single town council sessions.  All in the name of the glory of the British Empire, make the world British and all that.

That is the legacy of the Empire here, English speakers treating us like colonized people.  Of course, it's not a majority.  No more than there is a majority of American Southerners who believe black people need to be put back to their place, under the white men.  Yet, there are symbolism that remind you of that.

It is the same thing with all that glorification of the British Empire and the evilization of anything French.  Malthus once compared Napoleon to Hitler and Ghenghis Khan.  I saw someone else declaring that because of the British victory at Waterloo, we now live in a free world, with democracy and free trade.  That is the pervasiness of the symbols, English speakers believing anything that resisted the British Empire as a sign of Evil.

And then you apply that grid to internal politics.  Speaking French: whiner.  Asking for your rights to be respected: whiner.  Electing politicians that aim to protect your rights: traitor.  Promoting the idea that the country should be decentralized: gutting Canada.  Not translating everything in English for a 95% francophone city: You deserve the same fate as Mussolini.

Symbols have power, that is why a lot of people are attached to their symbols.  It reminds them of a glorious past, for them.  The Confederate flag is a symbol of a glorious past for some.  For some others, that past wasn't really glorious.

Now, I want this country to move forward.  For everyone.  Indians, French, English, newcommers.  I don't want to be stuck in the past with colonial symbols.  Lots of crimes have been committed for the glory of the Empire, now it is time to move forward and ditch those symbols of a repressive past.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2015, 09:41:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 06:12:30 PM
Wait I don't understand. I can choose to leave the US but you can't choose to leave Quebec?
I chose to stay and fight for what I believe is right.
You chose to live in a monarchy because it didn't bother you enough to not do so.
That it doesn't bother you is your thing.

And besides, I don't see any employement opportunity for me in the US right now.

On a political level, not having a non elected Queen's/King representative sign laws to make them effective would be a great symbol of democracy.  The Parliament, composed of elected representative, would be the supreme authority in the country.  And it might cost less than having a non elected official spending money like there's no tommorrow.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2015, 11:27:42 AM
The British Empire treated French Canadians like second rate citizens, a fact that many in Canada would like perpetuated.

:rolleyes:

viper37

A PM speaking French is bad

Yes of course, I feel the love :)
And that was the tamest reaction of the bunch.  But that it is an issue with the big medias just demonstrate how far we still have to go.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Wait a second. That's some opinion piece from 2011?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2015, 09:57:19 AM
:huh:

Why did he speak in French?
the PM speaks in French and English to the media when abroad.  It made a lot of fuss in English Canada.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2015, 03:07:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2015, 09:57:19 AM

Why did he speak in French?
the PM speaks in French and English to the media when abroad.  It made a lot of fuss in English Canada.

It does seem like a waste to speak French to Americans.

Admiral Yi

It does seem like a bizarre move on Harper's part.

Grey Fox

He starts all speeches he does in French.

You can say many things about Harper but the man has done massive efforts into learning & mastering french.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2015, 11:27:42 AM
how is it meaningful that you remove the Confederate flag from public buildings?  That symbol means nothing to me, I'm totally neutral toward it. Yet, lots of people want it removed.  Even before the latest event.  I don't think I've ever heard you discussing the idea of moving down South to work, would you have done it instead of the UK?  Working in Mississipi?  Alabama?

The British Empire treated French Canadians like second rate citizens, a fact that many in Canada would like perpetuated.  Just yesterday, there were death threats against the mayor of 95% francophone city because she refused to translate every single town council sessions.  All in the name of the glory of the British Empire, make the world British and all that.

That is the legacy of the Empire here, English speakers treating us like colonized people.  Of course, it's not a majority.  No more than there is a majority of American Southerners who believe black people need to be put back to their place, under the white men.  Yet, there are symbolism that remind you of that.

It is the same thing with all that glorification of the British Empire and the evilization of anything French.  Malthus once compared Napoleon to Hitler and Ghenghis Khan.  I saw someone else declaring that because of the British victory at Waterloo, we now live in a free world, with democracy and free trade.  That is the pervasiness of the symbols, English speakers believing anything that resisted the British Empire as a sign of Evil.

And then you apply that grid to internal politics.  Speaking French: whiner.  Asking for your rights to be respected: whiner.  Electing politicians that aim to protect your rights: traitor.  Promoting the idea that the country should be decentralized: gutting Canada.  Not translating everything in English for a 95% francophone city: You deserve the same fate as Mussolini.

Symbols have power, that is why a lot of people are attached to their symbols.  It reminds them of a glorious past, for them.  The Confederate flag is a symbol of a glorious past for some.  For some others, that past wasn't really glorious.

Now, I want this country to move forward.  For everyone.  Indians, French, English, newcommers.  I don't want to be stuck in the past with colonial symbols.  Lots of crimes have been committed for the glory of the Empire, now it is time to move forward and ditch those symbols of a repressive past.

We need Prince Charles to personally invade Quebec and start busting heads.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2015, 09:51:41 AM
A PM speaking French is bad

Yes of course, I feel the love :)
And that was the tamest reaction of the bunch.  But that it is an issue with the big medias just demonstrate how far we still have to go.

Speaking to a foreign head of state in a joint press conference in a language that head of state doesn't speak is basically bone-headed diplomacy.

And *this* is the example you give of how people in Quebec are hard done by?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius