[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 11:00:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 10:52:30 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
Don't say things like that if you don't mean them!

I have been talking about this happening for about a decade now ;)

You've been wanting it to happen for a decade now you mean.

Both really.

You will recall I have been very happy about the Reformer social conservative wing nuts being silenced within the Conservative party.  That was necessary for the Conservatives to occupy the centre right.  Now the NDP are poised to fully occupy the centre left.  Years ago Jacob and I debated whether this would be a good thing.  I thought then, and I still think, the country would be better off with the NDP and the Conservatives competing for the middle.

I don't know that there's any real difference whether there are two or three parties vying for power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 11:44:11 AM
I don't know that there's any real difference whether there are two or three parties vying for power.

Look at the current poll Sask posted.  If those percentages hold then the Conservatives and NDP have an incentive to become more ideologically driven to get their base out to vote.  Without the Liberals in the middle both parties have more of an incentive to moderate their positions to appeal to that constituency as well.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 11:52:28 AM

Look at the current poll Sask posted.  If those percentages hold then the Conservatives and NDP have an incentive to become more ideologically driven to get their base out to vote.  Without the Liberals in the middle both parties have more of an incentive to moderate their positions to appeal to that constituency as well.

You forget who you're trying to convince though - I want the Conservatives to be more ideologically driven.  :cool:

Grey Fox

It would ease your nanny problem atleast.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 11:52:28 AM

You forget who you're trying to convince though - I want the Conservatives to be more ideologically driven.  :cool:

I am not trying to convince you.  I want the Conservatives to have to appeal to people like me. :P

Barrister

So Notley's cabinet will be sworn in this Sunday, almost three weeks after the election.  They won't introduce a budget until the fall.

I'm telling you - amateur hour.

Josephus

Given that it's a bunch of inexperienced people, one should be glad they took their time picking the cabinet, no?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 11:08:24 AM
So Notley's cabinet will be sworn in this Sunday, almost three weeks after the election.  They won't introduce a budget until the fall.

I have heard that criticism in the media but I don't understand it.  Notley appears to be taking a careful and considered approach to who should be in her cabinet.  The exact opposite of "amateur hour".

Grey Fox

They weren't ready to lead/form the government, the minute the results were announced, therefore "amateur hour".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2015, 01:49:19 PM

I have heard that criticism in the media but I don't understand it.  Notley appears to be taking a careful and considered approach to who should be in her cabinet.  The exact opposite of "amateur hour".

They should have had a transition team in place months ago.  Typically new governments are sworn in about one to two weeks later.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 02:24:56 PM

They should have had a transition team in place months ago.  Typically new governments are sworn in about one to two weeks later.
Months ago nobody expected them to have a chance in hell, including you.  How often do parties have transition teams in place for elections they are sure they will lose?

crazy canuck

If it is typical to wait as much as two weeks then I would have thought that being only one week off that mark is a very good result in the circumstances.

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on May 21, 2015, 03:24:31 PM

Months ago nobody expected them to have a chance in hell, including you.  How often do parties have transition teams in place for elections they are sure they will lose?

Although I thought it was a foolish strategy, when Brian Jean started the campaign he said he was running to be the leader of the opposition.

But Notley said from the very beginning she was running to be Premier.  If so, she should have acted like it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:30:17 PM
But Notley said from the very beginning she was running to be Premier.  If so, she should have acted like it.

You are being petty now.  So far she has sounded like the best Premier Alberta has had in quite some time.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2015, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:30:17 PM

You are being petty now.  So far she has sounded like the best Premier Alberta has had in quite some time.

She hasn't said or done anything yet.

And unless "in some time" means since 2006, the best Premier of Alberta in some time was Ralph Klein.