And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2015, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2015, 02:41:42 PM
That doesn't really look like "rich". If you earn $200k in Toronto, you aren't living in a mansion with servants and driving a Rolls on your way to your private boat.
I can assure you that where I live, you can not live in a mansion with servants and driving Rolls on you way to your private boat with 200k/year.  But I could have a bigger house, with more rooms, and finally have my real home theater with proper soundproof panels.

Absolutely. The problem is how to have the income without living in the place it can be earned.

You would think that, with technology, this problem would be solved already ... but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work that way.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2015, 02:58:55 PM
That doesn't really look like "rich". If you earn $200k in Toronto, you aren't living in a mansion with servants and driving a Rolls on your way to your private boat.
I can assure you that where I live, you can not live in a mansion with servants and driving Rolls on you way to your private boat with 200k/year.  But I could have a bigger house, with more rooms, and finally have my real home theater with proper soundproof panels.

Absolutely. The problem is how to have the income without living in the place it can be earned.

You would think that, with technology, this problem would be solved already ... but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work that way.

I used to think the answer was to work for the government!  You earn the same salary no matter where you work, so get a good paying government job, then live in a low-cost part of the province.

Trouble is that, in Alberta, there no longer are any low-cost places to live. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2015, 03:59:11 PM
Trouble is that, in Alberta, there no longer are any low-cost places to live. :(

That may soon change ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I used to think the answer was to work for the government!  You earn the same salary no matter where you work, so get a good paying government job, then live in a low-cost part of the province.

On the bright side with the NDP in power you are a lot less likely to lose your job  :)

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2015, 04:15:10 PM

On the bright side with the NDP in power you are a lot less likely to lose your job  :)

We'll see.  Historically the NDP has not been hugely invested in criminal prosecutions.

Josephus

Not if you spend it all on strollers, no.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

New Ekos poll suggests big Alberta bounce for Federal NDP.

I also think Trudeau Jr. is taking some heat from supporters regarding Bill C-51, so those people are switching to Mulcair, at least for now.

Link for Yi, Anger, Valmy and the 90 (?!) anonymous people reading this forum right now"

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/new-numbers-suggest-federal-ndp-in-three-way-tie-with-tories-and-liberals
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

The thing that surprises me about that poll is that the Liberals are still polling so high.  I think the explanation for that is the poll was conducted before Justin started to try to justify why he supported C-51.  His explanation was so antithetical to the values of principled Liberal supporters that polls taken now would likely show a sharp drop in support and all go to the NDP.  As a result the NDP are probably polling ahead of the Conservatives which will encourage more of the anybody by Harper voters to vote NDP. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 10:24:22 AM
The thing that surprises me about that poll is that the Liberals are still polling so high.  I think the explanation for that is the poll was conducted before Justin started to try to justify why he supported C-51.  His explanation was so antithetical to the values of principled Liberal supporters that polls taken now would likely show a sharp drop in support and all go to the NDP.  As a result the NDP are probably polling ahead of the Conservatives which will encourage more of the anybody by Harper voters to vote NDP. 

That, in turn, may boost the conservatives, by voters who dislike Harper but cannot stomach a federal NDP gov't.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2015, 10:27:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 10:24:22 AM

That, in turn, may boost the conservatives, by voters who dislike Harper but cannot stomach a federal NDP gov't.

Probably.  In turn the Liberals will wander in the wilderness for at least another decade or more leaving the NDP and Conservatives to fight for the middle.  A good moderating influence on both parties imo.

Grey Fox

Don't say things like that if you don't mean them!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2015, 10:37:09 AM

I have been talking about this happening for about a decade now ;)

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 10:52:30 AM

You've been wanting it to happen for a decade now you mean.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 11:00:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2015, 10:52:30 AM

You've been wanting it to happen for a decade now you mean.

Both really.

You will recall I have been very happy about the Reformer social conservative wing nuts being silenced within the Conservative party.  That was necessary for the Conservatives to occupy the centre right.  Now the NDP are poised to fully occupy the centre left.  Years ago Jacob and I debated whether this would be a good thing.  I thought then, and I still think, the country would be better off with the NDP and the Conservatives competing for the middle.