News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2015, 11:23:02 AM
Can they really when the vast majority of his MPs are going to be from Ontario & Quebec?

Maybe not, but I think they are going to have to convince Canadian voters of that in order to form government.

Grey Fox

You are probably right.

Mulcair isn't really against Trudeau & Harper that he is against a provincial legacy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

CC's argument is why less and less people end up voting. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
CC's argument is why less and less people end up voting. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I think that is accurate.  But the one silver lining for you is that people like me might be persuaded this time around...

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 01:06:44 PM

I think that is accurate.  But the one silver lining for you is that people like me might be persuaded this time around...

The Tories had better start bribing us more.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2015, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 01:06:44 PM

The Tories had better start bribing us more.  :D

:lol:

I wonder if they realize that the more they sweeten pot for the 1% the more portions of that 1% feel uneasy with their policy decisions.

Josephus

Malthus says he isnt a one percenter--he's middle class.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 03:23:39 PM

If you believe that you will believe he spent less than 2k on his stroller and that he actually likes French people.

Joking aside, one does not need to earn that much, compared to say the US, to be considered in the top 1% in Canada. 

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 03:24:47 PM

If you believe that you will believe he spent less than 2k on his stroller and that he actually likes French people.

Oh, I never did...it's all on record, probably in this very thread somewhere  :D

Monoriu

I believe that Malthus spent far less on the stroller.  He made it quite clear that the 2k stroller was his friend's doing, and I believe him. 

I however do not believe that he is middle class.  He is firmly within the 1% :contract:

Malthus

Uh, no. You don't need to be very high income in Canada to be a "one percenter". Last I checked, it was only around $200K.

The controversy is whether this is enough to make one "rich". I say it isn't. A person earing a $200K paycheque can still be, basically, a well paid office worker - what was traditionally considered "upper middle class".

Edit: source: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadas-one-percenters-earn-at-least-191000-a-year-most-likely-are-male-live-in-toronto
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2015, 03:46:45 PM
The controversy is whether this is enough to make one "rich". I say it isn't.

Don't start with the poor little rich kid thing again.  :P  :D

Barrister

So, there have been several news reports in the days since the election, all showing giant bags of shredded documents in the legislature, or being hauled away from the legislature.  There has been much tongue-wagging about "what are the tories trying to hide".

So now, 9 days later, long after anyone has had a chance to shred anything incriminating, there has been a general directive to all government departments to stop shredding any documents, effective immediately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/rachel-notley-orders-end-to-all-government-document-shredding-1.3072555

And, 9 days later, there's still not even been a swearing-in date set.

I wish Notley all the best.  Maybe a change in government is good for the province.  But it really feels like amateur hour so far.  The NDP had no transition team in place until one week before the election - normally those are put into place months earlier.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 04:14:52 PM

Hell, BB's getting that tired old schtik, just for hiring a nanny.  :P

Truth be told, people are messed in the head as to what constitutes "rich". I deal with people who are really rich all the time - some of my clients. I'm not "rich" like they are. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 04:14:52 PM

Hell, BB's getting that tired old schtik, just for hiring a nanny.  :P

Truth be told, people are messed in the head as to what constitutes "rich". I deal with people who are really rich all the time - some of my clients. I'm not "rich" like they are.

I agree.  my guess is a lot of Canadian 1 percenters have significant mortgage obligations.  The rich are more like the .1% and idle rich are more like the .01%