News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

As Grumbler would say, that's not a good argument.

It's not because they are poorer people than BB that he can't feel angry about having the government make a change that affects every aspects of his life.

As righteous a choice it is, BB still can feel angry about it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2015, 02:09:30 PM
Seriously Beeb, I'm having a hard time tugging at the heart strings. I do like you, so it' s nothing personal, honest, and you seem like a reasonable guy and good parent,  and I don't mean to rub in your misfortune.

My 25 year old niece is a single mother and copes on her salary which as a part time dental assistant, I imagine is less than that of a provincial prosecutor. I may be wrong. She makes it work.

I'm not saying we'll be driven to the poor house.  Clearly in a two-parent home we have a lot more options than a 25 year old single mother.  But the only sensible option for us in a $15/hr minimum wage would be to have my wife stay home.

And it's not just nanny jobs.  My kid right now are in daycare (nanny starts June 1).  I like the ladies that work there, but they're making a lot closer to minimum wage than they are $15/hr.  If minimum wage increased to $15/hr their rates would have to increase accordingly.  Now my wife and I can survive because we have the option of having my wife stay at home.  But for those single mothers who send their kids to that daycare?  I'm not sure how they'll respond to a $200/month increase in daycare rates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2015, 01:33:18 PM
Yes, Universal subsidize day care.
oh yeah.  that works wonders here.
btw, how goes your famed baby boom for the province? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Barrister

Valmy

LOL at that 20 year old nobody winning election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 03:36:33 PM
You hare getting a bit hysterical now BB.

I thought the shirt was funny - precisely because it was hysterical.  :)

Peter MacKay made a "Albertastan" comment yesterday, and it predictably blew up over Twitter, to the point where you can actually go and buy one of those t-shirts now.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2015, 04:41:14 PM
Justice.  :ph34r:

:ultra:

Now the NDP is thin, but not THAT thin.  They have one or two lawyers in caucus, I'm sure they can find someone at least remotely qualified to be Attorney-General.

Neil

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to make a lawyer Attorney-General?  How can you reform the snakepit if you're one of the vipers?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2015, 04:49:20 PM
Wouldn't it be a bad idea to make a lawyer Attorney-General?  How can you reform the snakepit if you're one of the vipers?

The Attorney-General is the chief lawyer for the province.  All of my official status comes from being a designated "Agent for the Attorney General".

Non-lawyers have been AGs before, but its universally seen as a bad idea.

Neil

Then perhaps it might be a good idea to cleave the operation of the justice system away from the position of chief lawyer?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.