Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on May 06, 2015, 10:07:34 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2015, 09:39:54 AM
So it's snowing hard in Edmonton today.

I can not do anything but take it as an omen. -_-

I thought you liked snow.

In may, after I've planted my plants?  Not so much. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 10:46:36 AM
When I arrived in Canada in the mid-90s, I heard a horror story that the previous federal ruling party went from a majority in parliament to 2 seats in a single election.  Ever since then my impression is that party loyalty isn't one of Canadian voters' strong points  :ph34r:

It's the same thing then now, Mulroney's coalition got destroyed when both the Bloc Québécois & the Reform Party came unto the scene, effectively splitting the right wing.

The right is divided, the current governing PC has used all it's political influence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

When I arrived in Canada in the mid-90s, I heard a horror story that the previous federal ruling party went from a majority in parliament to 2 seats in a single election.  Ever since then my impression is that party loyalty isn't one of Canadian voters' strong points  :ph34r:
Lack of party loyalty may be one of their strong points, however.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2015, 11:13:48 AM

Generally, Canadians are pretty stable.  Alberta has hjad stable right-wing governments since the great depression.

That's what makes this election such a shocker.

Lighten up. Change is good. Power breeds corruption. No one was happier than me when Chretien's Libs got tanked several years ago. In four years your right wingers will be back in power.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

and it will be his dream, a Wild Rose government.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2015, 11:35:09 AM

Generally, Canadians are pretty stable.  Alberta has hjad stable right-wing governments since the great depression.

Lighten up. Change is good. Power breeds corruption. No one was happier than me when Chretien's Libs got tanked several years ago. In four years your right wingers will be back in power.

I wanted change.  I voted for change, both in 2012 and yesterday.

I didn't want this kind of change.  <_<

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on May 06, 2015, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2015, 08:33:04 AM
stay and fight, or run like a coward? ;)

Or the 'Quebec' choice, stay like a coward.
that's different.  there's not much hope for the right here, it's not even a rearguard figth.  In Alberta, they can come back.  In Ontario, after the disastrous NDP they had Mike Harris.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Soooo ... picked out your edible hat yet?  :hmm:

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Mmmmmm that does look yummy. The hat would be pretty good to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Are we really so sure that the PCs won't reabsorb the Wildrose?  I can't speak for everyone, but I'd certainly consider voting for a suitably chastised PC party.  The Wildrose?  Never.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

What did the PC do to lose power? Or is this just a natural result of the oil price downturn?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2015, 02:17:44 PM
Are we really so sure that the PCs won't reabsorb the Wildrose?  I can't speak for everyone, but I'd certainly consider voting for a suitably chastised PC party.  The Wildrose?  Never.

What's your beef with Wildrose?

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 02:20:31 PM
What did the PC do to lose power? Or is this just a natural result of the oil price downturn?
They released a budget with tax increases, which angered the 20% of the electorate that holds to principles that you would identify with the Republican Party.  Those people went and voted for the Wildrose.

Of course, the fact that they had been in power for 44 years, and they haven't really had effective leadership for probably the last 15 of them, was probably just as decisive.  If not for the various scandals (especially during the Redford period), the party would probably have been stronger.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 02:20:31 PM

How long do you have?

Yeah, a huge part of it is the price of oil, but combined with 44 year fatigue, several scandals surrounding the last premier Redford, the seemingly unscrupulous was Prentice attempted to knock out the opposition Wildrose by absorbing most of their MLAs,  He presented a "bad news budget" that raised taxes just enough, and cut spending just enough, to piss people off without actually pleasing anyone either.  Then he called a snap election months before the fixed election date just to catch the opposition unaware: Wildrose elected their leader only 2 weeks before the election, and the Liberals went through the election with only an interim leader.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 12:36:08 PM

Mmmmmm that does look yummy. The hat would be pretty good to.

Very tasty looking. Though the act of eating is supposed to be a punishment.

The hat, I mean.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius