And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

So, more importantly, can this happen in October on the federal level?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

That depends is there anyway that Ontario can vote NDP?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2015, 06:37:09 AM
Not in Alberta.  Both Wildrose and PC voters vote Conservative federally, and they're 50-55% of the electorate.  That's enough to keep Alberta almost entirely blue.  Moreover, Notley's NDP and the federal NDP are totally different animals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

oh well...would have been nice if Alberta defeated harper.  :P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Congrats Commie Canadians!

Sorry Beeb :console:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 01:43:22 AM
On an individual level, the only meaningful decision is stay or leave. 
stay and fight, or run like a coward? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2015, 06:37:09 AM
No.  But the NDP might gain a few mor MPs there, since they now have an organization on the ground to help them.  It's possible that many Albertan left wingers chose to stay home in the past, given that they figured it would change nothing.

If I were Harper, I would worry a little.  Not that it is significant in itself, but there are many signs that the NDP is on the rise, everywhere.  Despite opposing ideologies, Mulcair is a much tougher beast than Trudeau the younger.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Then maybe it's the Libs who should worry. An NDP spike, federally, could only makes things easier for Harper like what happened in Quebec last time around. As long as the NDP/Liberals keep switching voters, Harper's laughing.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2015, 08:50:58 AM
Then maybe it's the Libs who should worry. An NDP spike, federally, could only makes things easier for Harper like what happened in Quebec last time around. As long as the NDP/Liberals keep switching voters, Harper's laughing.

If Mulcair raises his public profile and status as a leader, he could draw voters from the conservatives who refuse to vote for Trudeau because he's a nonentity.

Otherwise, I agree - he's likely only to split the left.

As the Alberta case shows, in Canada the left/right divide isn't cast in stone among voters.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

So it's snowing hard in Edmonton today.

I can not do anything but take it as an omen. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2015, 08:33:04 AM
stay and fight, or run like a coward? ;)

Or the 'Quebec' choice, stay like a coward.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2015, 09:39:54 AM
So it's snowing hard in Edmonton today.

I can not do anything but take it as an omen. -_-

I thought you liked snow.

Monoriu

When I arrived in Canada in the mid-90s, I heard a horror story that the previous federal ruling party went from a majority in parliament to 2 seats in a single election.  Ever since then my impression is that party loyalty isn't one of Canadian voters' strong points  :ph34r:

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 10:46:36 AM
When I arrived in Canada in the mid-90s, I heard a horror story that the previous federal ruling party went from a majority in parliament to 2 seats in a single election.  Ever since then my impression is that party loyalty isn't one of Canadian voters' strong points  :ph34r:

Generally, Canadians are pretty stable.  Alberta has hjad stable right-wing governments since the great depression.

That's what makes this election such a shocker.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.