News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 09:46:28 PM
That's what happens when you have 20 years of constant immigration.

No, actually many/most immigrant groups are reliable Conservative (federal) voters.

At this point I'm just hoping for a solid Wildrose opposition, and a total PC collapse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Are there hordes of unemployed roughnecks roaming around Alberta right now, or did they go back to where they came from?

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 09:46:28 PM
That's what happens when you have 20 years of constant immigration.

If I were to vote in a Canadian election (and I won't), I will always vote Conservative. 

viper37

Looks like a strong NDP government and a weak Wild Rose opposition.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 10:03:48 PM
Are there hordes of unemployed roughnecks roaming around Alberta right now, or did they go back to where they came from?

Most roughnecks have been working, but all their contracts are expiring.  Companies have mostly been holding off on layoffs, waiting to see if oil prices will  recover.  They haven't.

I'm scared Languish.  Hold me. :(

Barrister

Prentice resigns - both as leader, and as MLA.  That's somewhat unusual.

I didn't want him as Premier, but he was a respectable man.  I feel a bit for him.

Neil

That's no surprise.  There was absolutely no chance that Prentice was ever going to sit in the Legislature again, unless it was as Premier.  Being an opposition MLA is a waste of his time.

He was probably the best leader Alberta could have had in this election, but he completely messed up the timing of his election.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

Rather stunned by these results. :)
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2015, 11:09:07 PM
That's no surprise.  There was absolutely no chance that Prentice was ever going to sit in the Legislature again, unless it was as Premier.  Being an opposition MLA is a waste of his time.

He was probably the best leader Alberta could have had in this election, but he completely messed up the timing of his election.

This has way, way, way more to do than just the timing of the election.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2015, 11:04:49 PM
Prentice resigns - both as leader, and as MLA.  That's somewhat unusual.

I didn't want him as Premier, but he was a respectable man.  I feel a bit for him.

I guess he needs to take a look in the mirror, eh? ;)

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2015, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2015, 11:09:07 PM

This has way, way, way more to do than just the timing of the election.

But Prentice ensured his demise came early. 

Barrister

You know, I knew this was coming.  The polls left little doubt.

But I still feel sick to my stomach.  There's a political reason I moved to Alberta 15 years ago.

I know that no victory is ever as sweet as you think it will be, and no defeat ever as dark as it seems.  We will go on.  But these will be some tough years here in Alberta for those of us on the right.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2015, 11:50:22 PM
You know, I knew this was coming.  The polls left little doubt.

But I still feel sick to my stomach.  There's a political reason I moved to Alberta 15 years ago.

I know that no victory is ever as sweet as you think it will be, and no defeat ever as dark as it seems.  We will go on.  But these will be some tough years here in Alberta for those of us on the right.

Hopefully you seem some light and a reason to openly engage with the left.  If they shit the bed then call them on it, if they make some progress then praise them for it.  Be honest about them, good and bad, as opposed to just rejecting them from an ideological standpoint alone.

viper37

I wonder what it will means toward reducing greenhouse gas for Alberta's oil industry.  Harper will feel lonely.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

On an individual level, the only meaningful decision is stay or leave.