News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteA yoga teacher, a Hugo Chavez fan and students: What an NDP government might look like in Alberta

Jen Gerson | May 4, 2015 3:08 PM ET

A yoga teacher, university students, and an avid Hugo Chavez aficionado are likely to become Alberta's newest Members of the Legislative Assembly if the NDP manages to cement its surging popularity on election day.

"It's a lot of union reps, and a lot of students. And I'm sure a lot of these people had no idea they were signing up potentially to be MLAs," said Corey Hogan, director of engagement strategies with Hill and Knowlton.

The NDP, which held only four seats prior to the writ drop, is on track to form a minority — perhaps even a majority government.

Both outcomes would be unprecedented in a province that has been ruled by the Progressive Conservatives for 43 years.

But that means a handful of paper candidates — questionably qualified would-be MLAs who put their names forward so the party could run a full slate — could be sent to the legislature.

Let's play "what if," shall we? What if Rachel Notley's New Democrats are, in fact, poised to take power in Alberta, ending nearly 44 years of consecutive Conservative rule? What if the polls are accurate, this time?

What if, for Premier Jim Prentice and his government, it's all over but the crying?

Some of these candidates seem unlikely to win; they include Shaye Anderson, in Leduc Beaumont — known for his epic beard. Or Catherine Harder, running in the wildcard riding of Lac La Biche-St Paul-Two Hills; she lists spending time outdoors, and knitting projects as among her hobbies in her NDP candidate profile.

But among those more likely to claim a seat is star candidate Rod Loyola, in Edmonton Ellerslie. He has been a passionate advocate for Hugo Chavez since moving to Alberta from Chile.

Loyola's suitability was a subject of some controversy on the campaign trail, prompting a non-response from leader Rachel Notley: "Well, you know of course, I won the leadership and one of the things that comes with that is being the leader in terms of developing our platform, which we have done and we have talked about very clearly with Albertans, and which all of our candidates understand will be their job to advocate for in the legislature."

The NDP's current four-person caucus is quite strong, said Duane Bratt, a policy studies professor at Mount Royal University. "But give me another 10."

"All of the parties — with the exception of maybe the Progressive Conservatives, have these paper candidates. I've got three of my current students running for the Liberal party...one of the kids called the Liberal offices to volunteer and they were asked to be a candidate."

Young candidates in Edmonton, which is now widely expected to be an NDP rout, include Thomas Dang, 20, a computer science student at the University of Alberta who is running in Edmonton South West and writes a blog about provincial politics, and Jon Carson, a 23-year-old electrician who could topple high-profile former journalist and Tory candidate Katherine O'Neill. Neither Dang nor Carson responded to requests for interviews.

Much of this lack of competitiveness is a direct result of the PC's extended period in power. As the PC dynasty wore on, opposition parties grew less and less robust and the ruling Tories sapped most of the province's political talent. Add to that the snap election call — by the Tories' own legislation, the next election was supposed to be called in a year — and all the parties were left scrambling to fill their nomination openings in time for the election.

Yoga instructor Brandy Payne, for example, seemed like an improbable candidate to defeat justice minister Jonathan Denis — until the former cabinet minister's marital situation became the subject of an Emergency Protection Order requested by his wife.

Then there is NDP candidate Mike Connolly, who put his name forward in the usually safely right-leaning suburban riding of Calgary Hawkwood, was taken to task by conservative commentator Ezra Levant for suggesting a woman brandishing a gun and a Bible in a popular viral photography was analogous to a terrorist.

Connolly later claimed he was being harassed online as a result of the coverage, and even expressed suicidal ideation on a Facebook post — a picture of which was then circulated by Levant.

Connolly declined to comment on the fracas, and remains a contender for a seat.

National Post
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Meh, the same thing happened with the Provincial Liberals here and they have stayed in power for a long time...

Grey Fox

Just like the federal NDP MPs from Quebec 2011 Wave, they will learn or they barely/won't show up & be forgotten by the next election.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2015, 12:46:02 PM
I saw an interesting excerpt from a book the other day, relating to Nova Scotia politics.  It about how the leader, when he was in opposition, had damned the government up and down for their policies and the effect they had on the economy.  Then, when they finally won an election, they had to face the fact that Nova Scotia had no natural resources, no manufacturing, and a small population.  The full weight and power of the Nova Scotian government probably had less effect on the Nova Scotian economy than a few bankers in Toronto or New York.  But for political reasons, they were caught on a ride of trying to scapegoat failures and take credit for successes, even though they really couldn't influence things at all.

I just found it interesting, and somewhat relevant to the Manitoba discussion.

At least Nova Scotia can benefit from a tourism perspective... nobody wants to visit Manitoba.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 02:15:49 PM
Except hardcore Jets fans.

:punk:  We are legion.

And I'm taking my family this summer for vacation to Manitoba.  I'll post some beach pictures when we're there - we rented a lakefront cottage.  Then you'll be sorry - you'll all be sorry!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2015, 02:17:16 PM

And I'm taking my family this summer for vacation to Manitoba.  I'll post some beach pictures when we're there - we rented a lakefront cottage.  Then you'll be sorry - you'll all be sorry!

Does the mosquito netting come with the room or is it extra?  :P

Grey Fox

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2015, 02:18:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2015, 02:17:16 PM

Does the mosquito netting come with the room or is it extra?  :P

Nets don't do squat for Manitoba mosquitoes - fuckers are the size of dachshunds.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
Now that's something!

Pretty much the same all along the coast.  I am not sure what it is that keeps the mosquitoes away but I think it has to do with the winds that come off the ocean.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2015, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
Now that's something!

Pretty much the same all along the coast.  I am not sure what it is that keeps the mosquitoes away but I think it has to do with the winds that come off the ocean.

Mosquitoes need standing, stagnant water to breed.  I suspect between the wind and the rain the microclimate of vancouver isn't right for them.

But mosquitoes are no big deal.  Apply DEET and you're off!