News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Well, it is also a function of record-low interest rates, isn't it? When interest rates are so low, you'd expect people to borrow more.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Good points and they are related.  The other part of the study was that debt growth was greater than asset appreciation.  So while it is true that debt and asset value are related (one needs a larger mortgage to afford to buy a place to live) that is not the full explanation.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2015, 01:32:53 PM
So, what would be a good policy or set of policies to address the situation?

You are not going to like it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2015, 01:52:53 PM

You are not going to like it.

What do you have in mind?

Grey Fox

Nationalization of all resources and banks, at the provincial level.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2015, 02:09:26 PM

Now explain how that solves the problem

Barrister

New report out saying that Canadians are in more debt and in greater numbers than ever before.  And this data was analyzed during the good times before the crash in oil prices.  I would like to see the political parties propose what they think has caused this and what they think should be done about it.  We could also discuss it here.  Let me get the ball rolling.

It seems to me that the biggest problem is that median wages have remained the same in Canada since about the early 80s.  So what do we do about that?  Cutting individual and corporate taxes during that period of time has benefited some but certainly hasn't helped increase median wages.  If anything it seems to me that the standard of living for most people has declined.  Further, No matter how low our taxes might be they wont change the fact that most of our manufacturing sector is under wage pressure from lower wage paying jurisdictions.

Have they?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/five-little-known-trends-in-canadian-living-standards/article12322877/

First link I found.  Suggests that while median income declines in the 90s, it increased quite nicely in the oughts.  Also points out a sustained drop in poverty rates.  Finally, suggests that our Gini co-efficient has remained stable since the 90s (with the caveat that doesn't capture inequalities in the top 1%).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2015, 02:25:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2015, 02:09:26 PM

Now explain how that solves the problem

The treatment was successful, but the patient died.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2015, 02:35:54 PM
New report out saying that Canadians are in more debt and in greater numbers than ever before.  And this data was analyzed during the good times before the crash in oil prices.  I would like to see the political parties propose what they think has caused this and what they think should be done about it.  We could also discuss it here.  Let me get the ball rolling.

It seems to me that the biggest problem is that median wages have remained the same in Canada since about the early 80s.  So what do we do about that?  Cutting individual and corporate taxes during that period of time has benefited some but certainly hasn't helped increase median wages.  If anything it seems to me that the standard of living for most people has declined.  Further, No matter how low our taxes might be they wont change the fact that most of our manufacturing sector is under wage pressure from lower wage paying jurisdictions.

Have they?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/five-little-known-trends-in-canadian-living-standards/article12322877/

First link I found.  Suggests that while median income declines in the 90s, it increased quite nicely in the oughts.  Also points out a sustained drop in poverty rates.  Finally, suggests that our Gini co-efficient has remained stable since the 90s (with the caveat that doesn't capture inequalities in the top 1%).

This analysis shows that even in the best of economic times median incomes were stagnant.  Note he starts his analysis in 1995 as he notes that there is broad acceptance that in the period between 1980 and 1994 there was no median wage increase.  He also cuts out the bad times that began with the Great Recession.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blogs-and-comment/median-incomes-stagnant/

Barrister

That analysis at the end brings up what I think the answer is - lack of productivity growth vis-a-vis the US.

Not sure what you do about that though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2015, 03:10:14 PM
That analysis at the end brings up what I think the answer is - lack of productivity growth vis-a-vis the US.

Not sure what you do about that though.

I agree that is the solution that article identifies but I don't think it is the solution.  If productivity gain was the answer then wages in the US should not have stagnated.

Monoriu

That's none of the government's business  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2015, 05:57:34 PM

That's none of the government's business  :P

Arguably that mantra is at least partly to blame.

Josephus

How many hours a week do you lawyers put in.    ;) Do you guys even work?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 30, 2015, 11:28:05 AM
How many hours a week do you lawyers put in.    ;) Do you guys even work?

things settle and leave large chunks of otherwise unallocated time.

Now stop dodging and answer the question