News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2015, 05:06:13 PM
In a province where your tax rates are far below every comparable jurisdiction in the country, it's not 'unconservative' to think that you might have a problem, especially when your revenue is structured in such a way that when oil prices are below $80/bbl, you're forced to dismantle the government.  I reject the idea that a conservative should always struggle to starve the government to death.  And of course, as a conservative, I find the idea of a fixed election law in our Westminster system to be utterly nonsensical.

:yes:

Grey Fox

Fixed election laws are an abomination.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Anything interesting posted here in the last year? :unsure:

Don't really fancy reading 40 pages.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Does anybody fancy drowning Tim off the coast of those Korean / Japanese rocks that are disputed?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
Does anybody fancy drowning Tim off the coast of those Korean / Japanese rocks that are disputed?

Chain to them.  At low tide he is exposed, while at high tide, it's a struggle to keep his face uncovered by the rising water.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PRC on April 22, 2015, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2015, 08:24:08 PM

Chain to them.  At low tide he is exposed, while at high tide, it's a struggle to keep his face uncovered by the rising water.
So cruel. :weep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2015, 07:14:45 PM
Anything interesting posted here in the last year? :unsure:
not really.  A few CSC cases, but not much other than that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

There should be new blood next fall for the election, unless it is bad blood.
To rent

Josephus

Next election is pretty much up in the air, at this point. Though i think harper is sleeping a bit better than before. With Justin dropping in the polls and the NDP not picking up much of that slack, and, with our three party system always favouring them, wouldn't surprise me if harper gets another term.

But we shall see. Fingers crossed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2015, 06:35:50 AM
Next election is pretty much up in the air, at this point. Though i think harper is sleeping a bit better than before. With Justin dropping in the polls and the NDP not picking up much of that slack, and, with our three party system always favouring them, wouldn't surprise me if harper gets another term.

But we shall see. Fingers crossed.

I wonder how many Liberals are kicking themselves now for selecting Justin

Ancient Demon

What did Justin do to start losing support?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 23, 2015, 11:05:40 AM
What did Justin do to start losing support?

Its a long story but I think I can identify the moment when people who had hoped he would be a good leader were forced to think again.  When he was first appointed as leader even I was hopeful.  But the more he spoke the more people realized he did not have the skill set or knowledge necessary to run the country.   I think the big turning point came during an interview he did with Peter Mansbridge in which he was asked about the Boston Marathon Bombing.  Justin was not prepared for the question.  And it was asked in an off the cuff manner at the end of the interview.  I am sure Mansbridge (and everyone else) was expecting to get an answer that showed sympathy for the victims of the attack.  It was a softball question.  But Justin answered it in a way that made him look like he was in a high school debating class.

What became apparent is that once Justin has to leave a careful script there is nothing much there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mitch-wolfe/trudeau-boston-bombings_b_3106351.html

Barrister

Tonight is the leaders debate in Alberta - apparently the only one they'll have.

Given the low profile of the opposition leaders this could be a great opportunity to make an impression.

But of course a bad performance would be even more damaging.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Cleverly scheduled to be held at the same time as the game

Barrister

Not quite - debate is 6:30 to 8, game starts at 8.

And I thought you weren't following that series.  :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.