Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 10, 2015, 07:23:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 10, 2015, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2015, 01:11:18 PM

But on the other hand, why won't you ever make it out to Edmonton? :contract:

Why would anyone?  :P

[ducks, runs]

Anyway, any one of you is welcome to a dinner on me, if you make it out to Toronto ... the Centre of the Universe(tm)  :D

I never got a dinner on you.  :(

Hey, we should do a Toronto meet.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I'll be up for that...sometime this summmer?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

The SCC has struck down the minimum sentencing law for firearms offences.  The reasoning of the majority was that it made no sense to impose a minimum prison sentence for an act which could be as minimal as missing a license renewal date.  The more interesting thing about this case is that it pitted the gun lobby and civil rights groups against the Conservative government.  Bad timing for the government I would say.

Neil

I generally favour the removal of mandatory minimums.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Mandatory minimums are stupid as term limits are stupid.  They take responsibility away from those empowered to select/appoint judges (or in our case, often voted in), as they take away responsibility from the electorate.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2015, 10:41:16 AM
The SCC has struck down the minimum sentencing law for firearms offences.  The reasoning of the majority was that it made no sense to impose a minimum prison sentence for an act which could be as minimal as missing a license renewal date.  The more interesting thing about this case is that it pitted the gun lobby and civil rights groups against the Conservative government.  Bad timing for the government I would say.

The very firm minority pointed out that because it was a hybrid offense which could be prosecuted by either summary conviction or indictment, and the minimum only applied to prosecutions by indictment, and there was no evidence anywhere that prosecutors had ever proceeded by indictment for someone merely missing a renewal date, and the accuseds in this case weren't actually arguing that the minimum was inappropriate in their own case, therefore the majority was full of shit.

I want the conservatives to go full hog, take away most discretion from judges, and impose a sentencing grid or tables ala the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2015, 09:57:15 PM
Why have judges at all then?

To determine where on the tables someone fits.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2015, 10:04:06 PM

Might as well just have them face the wheel.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2015, 10:05:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2015, 10:04:06 PM

Might as well just have them face the wheel.

No, that's the current system.

Neil

I'd be more inclined to keep the judges and eliminate the lawyers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2015, 10:39:35 PM
I'd be more inclined to keep the judges and eliminate the lawyers.

Of course you would. :patsonhead:

Neil

It's nothing personal, you understand.  You're a good person, but you're part of something bad that exists to trick people and rob them of their money and (to a much lesser extent) their freedom.

viper37

Supreme court has ruled: prayer at municipal council is illegal.
CBC News
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.