News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Mono, Canada has a long proud tradition of participating in UN and other peacekeeping missions.  Our involvement in Afghanistan and beyond is different and was justified by the governments of the day (both Liberal and Conservative) on the basis that we were engaging with enemies who threatened Canada.

I don't think anyone from any party would suggest that Canada should "free-ride" on either the US or NATO.  The NDP would argue that it is important to Canada to contribute to any UN mission - I am not sure what they would say about NATO missions.  Liberals will say something incomprehensible (so long as Justin is leader) and the Conservatives would say we need to support our allies and most notably the US and Israel.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
When I was in Vancouver, I was flabberghasted when I heard that Canadian troops participated in overseas missions.  I mean, Canada should have been put on a financial emergency programme a long time ago to rebuild a cash reserve that generates investment income.  Canada doesn't need a military; the solution is to free-ride on NATO and the US.  Even if they must have a military, it should only be used against enemies that threatened Canada's existance.

The US should do this too.

Neil

Well, I guess I'm a provincial NDP voter now.  :cry:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Canadian politics is hard.

I am lefty anti-business war monger. Where is my party?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2015, 10:47:10 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2015, 08:08:55 PM
Well, I guess I'm a provincial NDP voter now.  :cry:
What happened
The premier gave an address last night.  In it, he promised to maintain the low tax rate, bring back health care premiums and attack my hated enemies in the public sector unions.  When he attacked the unions though, he said that they were overpaid, using stats that compared Albertan public sector workers to those all across Canada.  As Alberta is a high-cost jurisdiction and much of Canada can get away with low wages due to a lower cost of living, it's not a fair comparison.  I found the shoddy stats to be annoying, but the imposition of the health care premiums and the implication that the flat tax is staying are enough to get me to break with the party.  But where do I go?

Then, the Liberal Party leader comes on next and talks about his plan to have universal child care (which I'm not especially fond of, but could live with) and provincially-funded fertility treatments (which I am adamently opposed to).  Thus, I had to root around for another party to vote for.  The Alberta Party doesn't work because their only issue is providing health care for baby boomers, which isn't a big issue for me.  The Wildrose Party is not an option because they're a bunch of right-wing cranks and they're in the process of disintegrating anyways.  The only option left for me is the NDP.  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Sounds like the sort of decision I would make in your position  :)

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
Even if they must have a military, it should only be used against enemies that threatened Canada's existance.
that would be the United States, Russia, France, Spain and Denmark.
If you add the distinction "ennemies that threatens Canadien's existence", than we'd have to go with Isis and Al-Queida who specifically threatened Canada and ask their followers to attack us everywhere they can.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2015, 08:13:41 PM
I am lefty anti-business war monger. Where is my party?
Well, the Bloc Québécois, with its new leader, seems to want to declare ware against immigrants and anglos.  So you could join them ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2015, 11:14:16 AM
Then, the Liberal Party leader comes on next and talks about his plan to have universal child care (which I'm not especially fond of, but could live with) and provincially-funded fertility treatments (which I am adamently opposed to). 
I never thought I'd see the day where Alberta would try to emulate Quebec's failed plans.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 01:12:16 PM
Then, the Liberal Party leader comes on next and talks about his plan to have universal child care (which I'm not especially fond of, but could live with) and provincially-funded fertility treatments (which I am adamently opposed to). 
I never thought I'd see the day where Alberta would try to emulate Quebec's failed plans.

It's the Liberal Party of Alberta, which has been out of power in this province since 1921.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

It's the Liberal Party of Alberta.  They're not a real threat to form a government, like ever.  There are only five fewer Neilist MLAs than there are Liberals.

Grey Fox

Failed? It works very well in both cases.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 01:49:56 PM
Failed? It works very well in both cases.
Not really.  If it did, there would be no deficit in these programs, they would be self-financed.  The Federal simply gave the money to the parents, it costs less and achieve the same results.  That's a cost efficient program.  Nationalizing kindergarden wasn't the brightest move.  Nor subsidizing gays and lesbians so they could have biological children.  AFAIK, homosexuality is not a disease, so the costs of being gay or lesbian should not be covered by the public insurance.