News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2015, 09:20:44 PM
Excuse my while I enjoy my fusion German/Arab food made by Mexicans.
Choucroute couscous in a taco with some hot spices?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 10, 2015, 10:20:13 PM

Sweet sweet globalization :mmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: viper37 on March 10, 2015, 10:20:13 PM

Camel schnitzel made by Valmy's illegal immigrant cooks, who he keeps chained in the kitchen.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on March 10, 2015, 10:25:11 PM
Camel schnitzel made by Valmy's illegal immigrant cooks, who he keeps chained in the kitchen.

I like it!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

I idiosyncratically declare that I'll vote for whichever party will build the most dreadnoughts.  We cannot allow a dreadnought gap.

I'm losing faith in the Progressive Conservatives in Alberta.  And now that I'm moving into a more competitive riding, my vote might actually count.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on March 10, 2015, 10:44:20 PM
I idiosyncratically declare that I'll vote for whichever party will build the most dreadnoughts.  We cannot allow a dreadnought gap.

I'm losing faith in the Progressive Conservatives in Alberta.  And now that I'm moving into a more competitive riding, my vote might actually count.
grumbler said we need supercarriers, and I defer to his naval experience.
The first party that builds this get my vote:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Harper wants to extend the mission against ISIS for 12 more months.  NDP is opposed, as usual.

I think we should keep fighting, yet, at the same time, I can't help with this feeling that this is another Vietnam, albeit with more than just the US.  The nations there have no real, defined objectives.  No plan for a post-Isis state, assuming we'd ever get there, to prevent a repeat of history.  We sort of go with one hand behind our back, limited commitment, training of local forces&all that, just like the US did at first with South Vietnam.

ISIS has had some support with local tribes, still has some local support, even if it has alienated most of the muslims in the area.  Despite all the atrocities, Arab&muslim nations of the area are very hesitant at committing forces&resources against them.  No one is really talking about Assad anymore, save for saying that he'll need to step down and insure a smooth transition when it's all over, wich might just not happen in Assad's living if things keep going the way they are.

So really, what the fuck are we doing there, except for the obvious "making our part"?  There's no direction, no unity, everyone has its own idea on what it should do and seems more concerned about not letting anyone take credit for the ultimate victory than achieving victory at all.

Valmy

Oh I think the Middle East is far more difficult and protracted than Vietnam. It is not like a victory or defeat of ISIS will lead to stability.

QuoteSo really, what the fuck are we doing there, except for the obvious "making our part"?  There's no direction, no unity, everyone has its own idea on what it should do and seems more concerned about not letting anyone take credit for the ultimate victory than achieving victory at all.

And what else is new?

crazy canuck

The kicker is this is purely a political move.  The Government does not need the approval of Parliament to extend the mission.  It is fully within the discretion of the PM and Cabinet.  What they really want to do is take advantage of the current public support (according to the pollsters at least) and to force the Liberals into a difficult decision of whether to support the motion or not.  If they don't then they run against current public opinion.   If they do then if public opinion shifts the Liberals won't be able to attack the Conservatives on the issue.

crazy canuck

And it seems the Liberals are not going to support the motion.

Probably the best move for them.  I think the Conservatives are going to be perceived as being overly heavy handed with their antiterrorist rhetoric.

viper37

Valmy

Monoriu

When I was in Vancouver, I was flabberghasted when I heard that Canadian troops participated in overseas missions.  I mean, Canada should have been put on a financial emergency programme a long time ago to rebuild a cash reserve that generates investment income.  Canada doesn't need a military; the solution is to free-ride on NATO and the US.  Even if they must have a military, it should only be used against enemies that threatened Canada's existance.