News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Conservative MP from BC proclaims "evolution is just a theory": http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/b-c-conservative-mp-james-lunney-tweets-against-evolution-1.2978984

I assume he's just a nutbar outlier?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 03, 2015, 04:41:23 PM
Conservative MP from BC proclaims "evolution is just a theory": http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/b-c-conservative-mp-james-lunney-tweets-against-evolution-1.2978984

I assume he's just a nutbar outlier?

Sounds to me like just another person who doesn't understand the way in which science uses the term "theory" in these circumstances. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2015, 12:42:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2015, 12:02:15 PM
I haven't decided.  I don't mind paying to fund transit expansion. I think that is a good thing.  I also don't buy into the anti translink rhetoric.  What concerns me most is I don't think the increase to the sales tax is the best way to raise the funds.  I think it is a regressive form of taxation that will mean the people for whom we are constructing the infrastructure will have even less money to spend to use it.

Yeah, I concur with all of that.

We're leaning "yes", though, because while a sales tax is not the best way to fund it we don't think a "no" will lead to alternate funding sources.

The move to appoint Pattison as a volunteer running a volunteer oversight committee to ensure every penny goes to purpose the tax is being imposed was, I think, a stroke of genius.

The CC family will be voting yes.  Although I suspect many of my neighbours will be voting no as they take the narrow view of the benefits to the North Shore (not much) vs the benefit to the region as a whole.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2015, 12:11:10 PM
The move to appoint Pattison as a volunteer running a volunteer oversight committee to ensure every penny goes to purpose the tax is being imposed was, I think, a stroke of genius.

Yeah, that was pretty clever.

QuoteThe CC family will be voting yes.  Although I suspect many of my neighbours will be voting no as they take the narrow view of the benefits to the North Shore (not much) vs the benefit to the region as a whole.

Based on social media, I suspect that "No" will take it. I don't lot of people who are enthusiastic "yes" voters, but it seems to me that the cranky "no" arguments are more prevalent.

viper37

I admit I haven't been paying my full attention to this bill, and I also haven't read all of it, but what exactly is so worrysome to all?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2015, 12:37:38 PM
I admit I haven't been paying my full attention to this bill, and I also haven't read all of it, but what exactly is so worrysome to all?

The lack of oversight. 

Jacob

When Christy Clark comes out against C-51, is that an indication that most of her back-country is concerned about it as well? Or is she coming out in front and leading on this?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 01:18:23 PM
When Christy Clark comes out against C-51, is that an indication that most of her back-country is concerned about it as well? Or is she coming out in front and leading on this?

Don't know.  Her response to the question seemed reasonable to me.  Not sure it has to do with anything other than simply answering the question.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
Don't know.  Her response to the question seemed reasonable to me.  Not sure it has to do with anything other than simply answering the question.

Seems reasonable to me too, but it's a political position and I usually expect politicians to factor in political concerns when they comment on those.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2015, 01:24:39 PM

Seems reasonable to me too, but it's a political position and I usually expect politicians to factor in political concerns when they comment on those.

I would assume she considered saying it was not a question within Provincial jurisdiction (which is the most accurate answer) would be less saleable.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 01:18:23 PM

Taking pot-shots at the federal government is usually the safest answer for a provincial politician.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011