News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 05:57:32 PM
Also, one more thing we can be annoyingly smug about.

I wonder if there's some sort of app? I'm beginning to lose track...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2015, 06:03:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 05:57:32 PM
Also, one more thing we can be annoyingly smug about.

I wonder if there's some sort of app? I'm beginning to lose track...

I agree, it is difficult at times.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I don't really think that hypocrisy is a real knock on anyone. I don't expect anybody to cut their own throats for the sake of ideological purity. We all have to live in the real world, and we all have to keep the lights on somehow.

At the same time, I rejoice in the demise of Sun News, for several reasons. I don't think that we really needed an ideological right news source. Does the CBC hang a little to the left? Sure, but the answer is to parse that out, not to have somebody blaring blatant nonsense from the ideological opposite in the name of 'fairness'. I also think that 24/7 news channels are a travesty and that the world would be a better place if more of them followed Sun News' example and went out of business. Once you get the actual story out of the way, you're still left with 23 hours that are spent on empty speculation, rabble-rousing, talking-headery and human interest pablum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Grey Fox

I agree with Faguy on how Sun News was politics all the time. No one watches political commentary 24/7.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

So 50 years ago, we decided to shred one piece of our colonial past by adopting a true, unique flag that better represent our country, from coast to coast.  I guess that must count for something... ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2015, 11:57:05 PM
So 50 years ago, we decided to shred one piece of our colonial past by adopting a true, unique flag that better represent our country, from coast to coast.  I guess that must count for something... ;)
One day you'll learn to love your queen, and on that day you will be truly happy :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

This just came up in one of my feeds, regarding appointees to the Nova Scotia Supreme Court. It seems there's a strong trend of appointees being personally close to Peter Mackay and/or donors to the Conservative party.

QuoteThe appointees:

Josh Arnold (Dal Law '89) was Mackay's best man. He was appointed to the Nova Scotia Supreme Court October 2013. He was also a donor to the Conservative Party.

Cindy Cormier (Dal Law '99) is Arnold's wife. She was appointed to the Nova Scotia Supreme Court 2014.

Edward Scanlan is a friend of the Mackay family (both Peter and Elmer). He was appointed Nova Scotia Supreme Court October 2013.

James Chapman (Dal Law '91) was classmate of Mackay and is the former president of Halifax West Conservative Assn. He, too, was appointed Nova Scotia Supreme Court October 2013.

Jeffrey Hunt (Dal Law '91) was another classmate of Mackay and was Executive Vice President of the Progressive Conservative Party of Nova Scotia, appointed Nova Scotia Supreme Court last week.

Robin Gogan (Dal Law '94) was another donor to the Conservative Party. She was appointed Nova Scotia Supreme Court October 2013.

So, assuming this is factually correct how do our Canadian law-talkers rate this?

- selective facts assembled as a hatchet-job?
- politics as usual, this is how the system works?
- a little iffy looking but not that big a deal in the big scheme of things?
- really inappropriate?
- a genuine scandal?

crazy canuck

My sense of it is that all appointments in the Maritimes for all manner of things have always been and will likely always remain highly political regardless of who is in government.

I also think it unlikely that anyone would cite a case from any Maritime Court unless that person was arguing the case in the Maritimes.

Jacob

Another point someone made elsewhere: the number of lawyers in the Maritimes are not that high, and many of them are likely Dalhousie grads. In addition, the appointments were made by the provincial party, not the federal Conservatives.

So with what you're saying CC, I guess it's some combination of the first three options.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2015, 04:37:20 PM
Another point someone made elsewhere: the number of lawyers in the Maritimes are not that high, and many of them are likely Dalhousie grads. In addition, the appointments were made by the provincial party, not the federal Conservatives.

So with what you're saying CC, I guess it's some combination of the first three options.

The Supreme Court appointments are all Federal Appointments (unless there is something special for Maritime Provinces in the Constitution - which is a distinct possibility)  but the way it works is that the Provincial AG's office and local bar have a lot of input.  It would be impossible to appoint someone who in unconnected for the reasons you set out.  And that is the reason all appointments in the Maritimes are political.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2015, 12:17:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2015, 11:57:05 PM
One day you'll learn to love your queen, and on that day you will be truly happy :P
the day it happens here, it will mean my account was hacked by BB :P

viper37

No talks about the Canadian government's appeal of Federal court ruling on veiled women being allowed to keep their veil on while swearing their oath to become citizen?  No National Post Op-ed about how racist this government is?  No Globe&Mail Editorial about how the racist attitude of this government was the underlying cause of last fall terrorist attacks?  I'm kinda disapointed...

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2015, 04:44:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2015, 04:37:20 PM

The Supreme Court appointments are all Federal Appointments (unless there is something special for Maritime Provinces in the Constitution - which is a distinct possibility)  but the way it works is that the Provincial AG's office and local bar have a lot of input.  It would be impossible to appoint someone who in unconnected for the reasons you set out.  And that is the reason all appointments in the Maritimes are political.

Add also - it' probable that some of the other viable candidates aren't politically neutral, but are actively connected to the Liberal party.  It's one thing to hope for the government to appoint non-partisan justices, but I can't really expect a party to appoint meaningful numbers of Justices attached to the opposition.

And CC - Being a one-time Yukon lawyer I've always been sceptical about writing off decisions merely because of their jurisdiction.  There are fine decisions from all across this great country, and if the reasoning of a decision is solid, I will have no hesitation citing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.