News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I applaud the Feds for taking this action.  Silly of the Americans not to waive the buy American legislation for something being built in Canada but increasingly par for the course I guess.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/feds-to-invoke-rarely-used-law-in-buy-america-row-with-alaska/article22517328/

Josephus

Nice that we stood up to them on this :showoff:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

So the Bank of Canada cuts interest rates to 0.75%, stating that "The drop in oil prices is unambiguously negative for the Canadian economy".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-of-canada-shocks-markets-with-cut-in-key-interest-rate-1.2921370

Thoughts?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

On the one hand, lower interest rates will stimulate investments, if banks follow through by lowering their prime rates.

On the other hand, we just sacrificed our dollar to protect exporters, wich means that every piece of technology we acquire will be more expensive, negating the effects of the lower interest rates.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2015, 03:05:26 PM
On the one hand, lower interest rates will stimulate investments, if banks follow through by lowering their prime rates.

On the other hand, we just sacrificed our dollar to protect exporters, wich means that every piece of technology we acquire will be more expensive, negating the effects of the lower interest rates.

Meh, most of our economy is based on exports.  The effect of the high Canadian dollar on the economy was masked by high oil prices.  Now that those prices have dropped - and the dollar with it - the rest of the export economy will have a chance to recover.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:30:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2015, 03:05:26 PM

Meh, most of our economy is based on exports.  The effect of the high Canadian dollar on the economy was masked by high oil prices.  Now that those prices have dropped - and the dollar with it - the rest of the export economy will have a chance to recover.
to produce these exports we need to import technology.  We have raw materials, but not much in finished products.

The price of vehicles, small&big will go up.  The price of computers will go up.  The price of most industrial piece of equipment will go up.
But raw materials providers, like softwood lumber producers will make a killing.  And apparently it's a good thing that we provide all kinds of benefits to non productive industries that prefer to increase their divident payouts when the sky is clear rather than try to modernize themselves.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2015, 05:46:57 PM
Nice that we stood up to them on this :showoff:

And now Alaska has backed down completely.  Which is a bit surprising.  Rather than attempt to obtain an exemption from the US Federal Government they are cancelling their construction project.  I guess the politics of attempting to obtain the waiver to use Canadian suppliers for a project being built on Canadian soil is too controversial for the Alaskan politicians.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/alaska-puts-canada-ferry-terminal-in-buy-america-dispute-on-hold/article22571665/

garbon

Canada - a land where something like that is newsworthy and topical. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

USA - a land where a snowstorm completely takes over News channels.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Actually my staff in Montreal said yesterday that they hoped the storm wasn't as bad as it seemed as it even seemed big by Canadian standards. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 09:31:18 AM
Actually my staff in Montreal said yesterday that they hoped the storm wasn't as bad as it seemed as it even seemed big by Canadian standards. :P
Parliament is not in session, no snow storm coming here, so our newschannels tune in to CNN & Fox to see what's going on down south, see if there'll be something noteworthy.  Since all you talk about is the snow, they figured it's got to be important ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 08:57:24 AM
Canada - a land where something like that is newsworthy and topical. :D

Foreign governments trying to force US contractors to use the foreign countries Steel for projects built on US soil wouldn't be news in the US? 

garbon

Maybe on snoozeday. Also, I like how you replaced Canada with "Foreign" to make it sound more alarming. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
Maybe on snoozeday. Also, I like how you replaced Canada with "Foreign" to make it sound more alarming. :D

I did not intent to suggest that Canada would do such a thing.  I used the word "foreign" because I could not think of another foreign entity that would try to do something so daft.  And so it remains an entirely hypothetical question.

garbon

Ah I see, you were posing back hypothetical of what happened to Canada. At any rate, I stand by (unless it became some sort of political/election scandal) that no it would be big news in the US. I guess maybe local news for whatever state was involved.