News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Suffice it to say - if the CBA is against something, I'm probably in favour of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2014, 02:50:05 PM
Suffice it to say - if the CBA is against something, I'm probably in favour of it.

I'm pretty sure the CBA is against breaking the law ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

That's right! Everyone should be able to present a case in court! We don't need an admissions process to the practice of law!

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2014, 03:02:13 PM

That's right! Everyone should be able to present a case in court! We don't need an admissions process to the practice of law!

That's the Law Society, not the CBA.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2014, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2014, 03:02:13 PM

That's the Law Society, not the CBA.

Really? The CBA would not be against that?

crazy canuck

Is there something in that announcement you disagree with?

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2014, 01:07:56 AM
What about Harper's and Oliver's intervention in the provincial Ontarian election?  Bad? Good? Don't care?

Technically it's bad, but I don't care that much. Not unexpected. Oliver is saying it was justified. Whatever.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2014, 02:19:20 PM
Looks like Harper's going off the rails. He has always been a dictatorial bastard, of course, but now it is like he's lost his sense of reality.

OTOH - Prime Minister Trudeau? One gets the sense he'd be out of his depth leading a medium-sized business, let alone the country.

The NDP? Not likely.

:hmm:

Not really. Everyone knows real power lies in the beauacracy anyway. He's not president. I'm sure his dad trained him well. He'll be fine. Don't worry.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2014, 01:07:42 PM

But generally it's pronounced "the vagg" (hard g) rather than "the vadje" (soft g, like the diminutive for vagina).

Really Jake, conjuring up disgusting images cannot further this conversation...

And as for this latest demonstration of the Conservatives' taste for mulish unilateralism and petty revenge - I find CC's newfound outrage over it rather disingenuous, especially after years of him applauding whatever agenda the PCC was promoting.

We are approaching the time when Canadians will have to face the consequences of their longstanding denial of the true nature of Canada.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2014, 02:19:20 PM
He has always been a dictatorial bastard, of course

Of course.  He is Hitler everybody knows that.

Is President Nieto also Hitler?  It would be cool to have three Hitlers on this continent at once.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Ancient Demon

What did Harper have to gain by this accusation?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Barrister

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 06, 2014, 09:48:16 PM

I'm not offended by it in the least, but that's my beef - what possible good did he think would come of this?

viper37

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 06, 2014, 09:48:16 PM

CC nailed it, I think.  An appeal to its base, those who mistrusts judges even more than lawyers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.