News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am just glad the Quebec population is not dependent on the reproductive prowess of Zoupa, viper37, and Rex Francorum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2014, 03:32:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 26, 2014, 01:25:37 PM
Yep, babyboom.
Look again, then explain.

The new regime of bonified parental leave was announced in 1999 and  came into effect on January 1st 2001.

Year  # of Birth YTY %
1999 73599
2000 72010 -2.16
2001 73699 +2.35
2002 72478 -1.66
2003 73916 +1.98
2004 74068 +0.20
2005 76341 +3.06
2006 81962 +7.36
2007 84453 +3.04
2008 87865 +4.04
2009 88891 +1.167

I will concede the babyboom is over but we went from 72010 in 2000 to 88891 in 2009 an increase of 23.4%. That's a babyboom.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Compare with the other provinces in Canada, wich did not have any of these special programs.  The rise is similar, even higher.

Economic conditions and disposable income are the key factors.  If you look through the available stats for Quebec&Canada, these are the only explanatory variables.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

So? That's not important to our situation what the other Canadian provinces do, especially when they still have stay-at-home-wife culture.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2014, 01:09:24 PM
So? That's not important to our situation what the other Canadian provinces do, especially when they still have stay-at-home-wife culture.
Don't be the quebec tyr, it doesn't suit you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2014, 01:09:24 PM
that is very important if you want to discuss a potential baby boom and the merits of social programs.

Social programs had nothing to do with the so called baby boom, and in fact, it was the state of the Canadian and Quebec economy that mattered, a time when governments reduced their spending and refunded the debt.  If it was the social programs responsible for a small increase in birth, then you would not see birthrate lower than before the social programs or similar to that of other canadian provinces in the same time frame.

Oh, and you should not believe every PQ propaganda piece about english canada.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 03:35:57 PM
I am just glad the Quebec population is not dependent on the reproductive prowess of Zoupa, viper37, and Rex Francorum.

You can put me out of that equation. Not interested to populate Québec ;)
To rent

viper37

So, as we have long known, Canada is officially bilingual, that is, you can't have French only, English is mandatory everywhere.  English only is ok, but French only, it shall not pass.

If I'm wrong, than please tell me where is the outrage in English Canada about the recent Alberta's court of appeal ruling on the Caron case?

crazy canuck

Is there something I should find outrageous?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 11:02:18 AM
Is there something I should find outrageous?

No.  The Court affirmed that Alberta is constitutionally not a bilingual province and is not required to print it's laws in French, have French language traffic tickets (the source of this complaint) or provide government services in French.

Note of course that only goes for the provincial government, and federal government services have to be provided in both official languages.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2014, 09:32:41 AM
So, as we have long known, Canada is officially bilingual, that is, you can't have French only, English is mandatory everywhere.  English only is ok, but French only, it shall not pass.

If I'm wrong, than please tell me where is the outrage in English Canada about the recent Alberta's court of appeal ruling on the Caron case?

Is there some reason we are supposed to be outraged that Alberta is not officially bilingual?

The government of Quebec would shit itself if it was forced by the courts to be officially bilingual.  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 03, 2014, 11:16:35 AM

Is there some reason we are supposed to be outraged that Alberta is not officially bilingual?

The government of Quebec would shit itself if it was forced by the courts to be officially bilingual.  :hmm:

To be fair the Government of Quebec is more bilingual that the GOA is, even if not required.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2014, 11:18:45 AM

To be fair the Government of Quebec is more bilingual that the GOA is, even if not required.

There are also considerably more Anglophones in Quebec, than Francophones in Alberta.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on March 03, 2014, 11:27:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2014, 11:18:45 AM

There are also considerably more Anglophones in Quebec, than Francophones in Alberta.

Demographics will take care of that.