News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

and then never get another majority for 50 years?

Not sure any Party is into that.

but I meant more in the lines of "What the average voter is suppose to do?"
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on January 24, 2014, 11:31:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2014, 02:32:14 PM

Hard core PQ supporters aren't turned off by this, they see it as a conspiracy by the Liberals or simply a few lunatics that got out of their closet.  Nothing to stop them from voting PQ. 

Add a few morons, a couple xenophobes, and the PQ hits the 40% mark wich makes them majority government.  Throw in the charter, some protest by the Supreme Court that will tear down the Charter, and voilà, winning conditions for a referendum.

That is the PQ plan, at least.  Wether or not it will work remains to be seen.  So far, the Liberal Party seems to have its head in its ass, to say the least.

Sadly the latest revelations at the Charbonneau Commission might derail that strategy if it is one such.  But then again reactions so far seem to be fatalistic ("they're all corrupt anyway").  We'll see how the PM handles the allegations concerning her husband.

G.
The l'Isle-Verte tragedy has eclipsed any other news from the inquiry board and shifted the priorities at the Assemblée Nationale.

It's not like the average PQ voter cares, anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

The Isle-Verte tragedy is front page news here too.

It seems to be Quebec's year for freakishly horrible fire disasters.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2014, 05:51:46 PM
The Isle-Verte tragedy is front page news here too.

It seems to be Quebec's year for freakishly horrible fire disasters.  :(
It's about an hour from where I live.  Unlike Lac Mégantic, wich I only heard of, I  know the place, drive through there an hundred times, know people near there.  It's a weird feeling, even if nobody I know of died there.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Very interesting move by the Liberals to make Liberal senators independants and remove them from the Liberal caucas.  My first impression is it is form over substance.  All of those senators are Liberal appointees.  Trudeau isnt really giving up anything here.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2014, 10:47:35 AM
Very interesting move by the Liberals to make Liberal senators independants and remove them from the Liberal caucas.  My first impression is it is form over substance.  All of those senators are Liberal appointees.  Trudeau isnt really giving up anything here.

That's my take as well. Apparently all the Liberal senators will continue to caucus by themselves in a 'Liberals in the Senate' caucus.

Plus, trying to say the Senate should be non-partisan would just make it even more useless.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

How can the Senate ever be non-partisan when the surest way to become a senator is to commit exceedingly partisan acts to curry favour with the government of the day?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Jacob

New budget out.

As part of it, the government scraps the investor class visa; including processing for the more than 50,000 (mostly mainland Chinese) in the backlog. I suspect few Canadians will be upset about this, though some Vancouver realtors fear it will impact the local luxury housing market.

The government also introduces a new visa class - the start-up entrepreneur one, apparently meaning you can immigrate here if you can find Canadian funding for your start-up.

What are your take-aways from the budget?

garbon

How much funding do you need / how much of an established start up?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 12, 2014, 02:12:14 PM
New budget out.

As part of it, the government scraps the investor class visa; including processing for the more than 50,000 (mostly mainland Chinese) in the backlog. I suspect few Canadians will be upset about this, though some Vancouver realtors fear it will impact the local luxury housing market.

The government also introduces a new visa class - the start-up entrepreneur one, apparently meaning you can immigrate here if you can find Canadian funding for your start-up.

That the 2015 budget will seem to be very nice if you are middle class family.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

lots of small stuff to fight fiscal evasion, I like.
Streamlining the GST credit demands, I like.
Simplify/augment tax credits for medical fees and medical devices required by your condition, I like.
More tax credit for oil&gaz companies, I don't like.
Spending in provincial fields, I don't like one bit.  If the Federal has too much money, all it need to do is lower its taxes and the provinces will take the slack, if they feel the need to do so.

Barrister

I didn't realize in the first few news reports I read - the government is forecasting a $2.9B deficit, but that's because they're budgeting a $3B contingency fund.  Without it, they'd be forecasting a miniscule $100M surplus.

It's probably good politics - you don't want to forecast a surplus and then not meet it, plus you want to be able to do it closer to the next election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Mixed bag for me.  I like that they removed the investor class.  I want immigrants who are going to move and work/build businesses here.  Not merely use us as an address of convenience.

I dont like that they have financed the "surplus" by keeping large surpluses in EI contributions.  Those payroll taxes are the real killer of job creation.  Keeping those rates artifially high while increasing funding for job creation seems at cross purposes and daft to me.  Just cut the EI rates so employing people is more affordable for employers.

I like the commitment to increase funding for research but I will hold my applause until I see how that actually gets distributed to the research community.

We will have to wait a year for the real budget heading into the next election.