Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2014, 02:27:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2014, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2014, 02:07:48 PM
Does no-one else find it slightly odd that this took place at York university ... in the sociology department?  :hmm:
you mean it's a false case to spur public debate on the subject?  I've no idea what is "York university", what kind of institution that is, so no, I didn't find it odd.  The story though, rings a bell, as I'm sure I've heard such a thing before.

I have no real idea about this story other than what I read here, but York is a university famously filled with sensationalist left-leaning flakes, and sociology ... well, that speaks for itself.  :D

It is also odd that the prof evidently doesn't know what religion the student is. Most really religious folks leave you in no doubt, particularly where they are asking for some sort of religious-based accomodation.

Also strange is that the student, having made a fuss in the first place, allegely cheerfully accepted the prof's decision. I guess his "religious objections" weren't all that fundamental after all.  :hmm:

could be a setup by the student.  Or could be the type of case we most often see: integrists trying to push their agenda until they get a rebufall, than they try more subtle approaches.

As for the religion of the student, this being a online course, face to face contact with the teacher was non-existant, and interaction is limited.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Also strange is that the student, having made a fuss in the first place, allegely cheerfully accepted the prof's decision. I guess his "religious objections" weren't all that fundamental after all.  :hmm:

It was the mid 1980s.  I attended elementary school in Saskatoon.  We still read the Lord's Prayer once per day.  That included the Jewish kid.

It's rough to expect kids, or even university students, to insist upon their rights even when very well founded.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2014, 02:44:03 PM
could be a setup by the student.  Or could be the type of case we most often see: integrists trying to push their agenda until they get a rebufall, than they try more subtle approaches.

As for the religion of the student, this being a online course, face to face contact with the teacher was non-existant, and interaction is limited.

The teacher didn't think to ask the student what religion he was, before getting opinions from religious leaders (Muslim *and* Jewish, allegedly) and the university's human rights office on the topic?

It just so happens that the student's 'request' is against 'everything [this sociology prof] stands for', thus enabling him to make a stand?

The student [who can't be named] conveniently turns out to be totally cool with the teacher's decision, despite his alleged religious scruples - meaning the teacher's courageous stand for equal rights has, in effect, no practical downside?

The last pushes my incredulity meter a bit. Knowing ultra-religious Jews and Muslims, and how difficult they can be (and it would only be the ultra-religious who could possibly be making such an absurd request at a university well-known for being ultra-liberal on feminist issues), I'd be very surprised if, having made a fuss about interacting with women, they's tamely accept the righteous ruling of a ... sociology professor. Most take their religious nonsense more seriously than that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 02:53:06 PM

It was the mid 1980s.  I attended elementary school in Saskatoon.  We still read the Lord's Prayer once per day.  That included the Jewish kid.

It's rough to expect kids, or even university students, to insist upon their rights even when very well founded.

The guy had already insisted. Then, having the prof's ruling, he cheerfully accepted it.

That just doesn't jibe with the sort of radical religious type who, going to a liberal university swarming with women, makes a big deal about interacting with them - which he'd have to do in pretty well every class.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

This seems to have been much ado about nothing.  Seems only to have made the news because of the issues Malthus identified regarding the location of the incident.

Josephus

Yeah, we were sort of following this at my paper, but in the end turned out to be a non-story.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

In other news, apparently Canada's defined benefit plans are looking much better recently.

QuoteThe Mercer pension health index, which tracks the funded status of a hypothetical defined benefit pension plan, stood at 106 per cent at Dec. 31 – its highest level since June 2001.

The firm estimated that almost 40 per cent of pension plans were fully funded at the end of 2013, compared with six per cent at the beginning of the year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/market-rally-and-rising-rates-boost-canadian-pension-plans-report/article16168619/

viper37

The parliamentary committee on the charter, wich bears a name longer than Twitter can handle (they ain't stupid, these PQ people), has begun this week.

It is unfortunate most of you don't understand french.  Or rather, it is fortunate.  It's even worst than I thought.

For the benefit of Grey Fox and a few others:
Famille Pineault-Caron
«J'ai rembarqué dans l'étaubus pis j'ai dit, ça s'peut-tu? Aller prier à quat' pattes su' un tapis!»

My best translation in a redneck dialect:
"I got back in dabus and I sad, is at possable?  Prayin' on all four on carpet!"

ugh.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

... what's that supposed to mean?

Malthus

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

google translate doesnt do Viper so I am lost as well.

Jacob

On reflection, I'm guessing that the guy in question speaks terrible French and Viper has attempted to reflect that in the spelling. I concur with Yi that it's some sort of reference to Muslims, but beyond that I'm still lost. Viper, care to explain?

Admiral Yi

He said it was redneck dialect.  I thought he made it clear the guy was speaking crap French.