And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I'm getting laid tonight :)

kidding. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on December 20, 2013, 10:43:34 AM
I'm getting laid tonight :)

kidding. ;)

Reporter's salary that bad, huh?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

I wouldn't exactly celebrate just yet - basically, the Court is giving parlament a year to re-draft the laws so as to pass constitutional muster if it wants.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
I wouldn't exactly celebrate just yet - basically, the Court is giving parlament a year to re-draft the laws so as to pass constitutional muster if it wants.

And the court instructed that the laws have to be proportional to the stated public policy objective of preventing a nuisance.  That guarantees that a new law that outright bans hoor houses will not pass muster.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 11:05:27 AM

And the court instructed that the laws have to be proportional to the stated public policy objective of preventing a nuisance.  That guarantees that a new law that outright bans hoor houses will not pass muster.

Fair comment.

Admiral Yi

Would you go so far as to say too right?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 11:13:53 AM
Would you go so far as to say too right?

Sure, why not.

Though there is nothing stopping parliament from passing a law with the ostensible purpose of outlawing prostitution, if it so chooses in its infinite wisdom.

Grey Fox

The cons probably would like to get elected to power again tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

I've never understood the archaic hooker laws. i think when everything else these days is fair game, why not legalize prostitution and get the business off the streets and out of the hands of criminals. I like the idea of zoned-areas (sort of like the red light district), and have hoor houses under regular inspection for diseases etc. Let the girls make a fair wage, and make them pay their taxes like everyone else. Think how much the government can make taxing hand jobs.

crazy canuck

An alternative is that the government drafts a law that doesnt mass muster but takes a few years to get back to the SCC; rinse and repeat.  The main force preventing such an abuse is political.  The government has to make the political choice whether it is worth the political hit to play it that way vs offending whatever social conservatives there are in this country who might be offended.  Hopefully they will legislate sensible regulations in keeping with the SCC requirements.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on December 20, 2013, 11:47:52 AM
I've never understood the archaic hooker laws. i think when everything else these days is fair game, why not legalize prostitution and get the business off the streets and out of the hands of criminals. I like the idea of zoned-areas (sort of like the red light district), and have hoor houses under regular inspection for diseases etc. Let the girls make a fair wage, and make them pay their taxes like everyone else. Think how much the government can make taxing hand jobs.

Agreed. Fact is that it isn't exactly policed anyway, under the old laws. Driving down Eglinton West, seems like every second business has a neon sign in the second story window advertising a massage parlor. Never knew so many folks needed shiatsu therapy ...

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2013, 11:55:05 AM

An alternative is that the government drafts a law that doesnt mass muster but takes a few years to get back to the SCC; rinse and repeat.  The main force preventing such an abuse is political.  The government has to make the political choice whether it is worth the political hit to play it that way vs offending whatever social conservatives there are in this country who might be offended.  Hopefully they will legislate sensible regulations in keeping with the SCC requirements.

They could also simply pass a law for the express purpose of outlawing prostitution on the basis that prostitution is morally wrong. Again, if there was the political will to do it.