News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 11:03:52 AM

...  Heck, I'm not even sure my company will stay afloat if the PQ is re-elected with a majority.

Aren't you exagerating here?  :yeahright:

Marois is not the greatest PM we've had, to put it mildly, but we're not on the brink of disaster either.  A far greater concern is to see the accursed Liberals return to power.  They'd stop the Charbonneau commission & try cover up all the corruption they were center stage deep in - and there's a *lot* of it as everyone knows.  But worse still I am convinced they would accelerate the diffusion of multiculturalism and increase even further massive immigration.  That cannot be allowed to happen or we're doomed.

Yet yesterday I was uplifted to hear about the death of that arch federalist Paul Desmarais - it felt like a good omen somehow.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2013, 11:08:38 AM
QuoteWhat we don't have is racist extreme-right wing groups

Its funny that you make this observation while defending racist government policy.

His point is that's it's left wing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2013, 11:39:32 AM

Its funny that you make this observation while defending racist government policy.

His point is that's it's left wing.

My point is that racism isnt better because it is on the left rather than the right.  I think this generation needs another Orwell who can make the point that being on the left does not remove all sins.

Malthus

The odd thing is that the Canadian West is apparently moving in the opposite direction to Quebec - a couple of decades ago, I'd have thought the Canadian mid-West (not Vancouver, obviously  :D ) was more insular, less open to outsiders than Quebec - now it's the opposite.

For example, the mayor of Calgary is a Muslim: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naheed_Nenshi
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2013, 12:03:23 PM

The odd thing is that the Canadian West is apparently moving in the opposite direction to Quebec - a couple of decades ago, I'd have thought the Canadian mid-West (not Vancouver, obviously  :D ) was more insular, less open to outsiders than Quebec - now it's the opposite.

For example, the mayor of Calgary is a Muslim: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naheed_Nenshi

Yeah, I was going to mention the fallacy of his overall view of racism in the West but I thought it a lost cause to try to explain that to someone who views all of the rest of Canada as somehow being a unitary whole.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 10, 2013, 11:21:45 AM
increase even further massive immigration.  That cannot be allowed to happen or we're doomed.

An odd sentiment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 10, 2013, 11:21:45 AM
Aren't you exagerating here?  :yeahright:
Although Fall season is better than last year, things pretty damn hit a big stop since last August everywhere accross the territory.  Most contractors have laid off 75% of their workforce or completely ceased operations.  Clients can't borrow for their projects, investors are afraid of the PQ taxation scheme so they wait until...  Until Marois is gone, forever, from politics, hopefully.

Marois is not the greatest PM we've had, to put it mildly, but we're not on the brink of disaster either. 
Everyone I talk too tells me things are dead on their side.  My major suppliers business has gone down half since last years.

A far greater concern is to see the accursed Liberals return to power.  They'd stop the Charbonneau commission & try cover up all the corruption they were center stage deep in - and there's a *lot* of it as everyone knows.
They can't stop Charbonneau.  They'll do exactly as they did in the past, exactly as the PQ did in the past, and they'll put the report in a closet somewhere to be forgotten.  The PQ has zero interests in ending corruption, it would mean the end of the FTQ and they absolutely need their support if they want a majority government and a referendum.

But worse still I am convinced they would accelerate the diffusion of multiculturalism and increase even further massive immigration.  That cannot be allowed to happen or we're doomed.
Bah.  All the PQ has to do is drop the religious sign things and the charter will be adopted as it is.

Yet yesterday I was uplifted to hear about the death of that arch federalist Paul Desmarais - it felt like a good omen somehow.
Come on.  That was low.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

if anything, Quebec remains more open to difference than the rest of Canada.  Keeping religion seperate from state is not an attack on immigrants.  An attack on fanatics, certainly, but not on the general immigrant population.

In fact, if you search for racism in Canada, you get a pretty convincing case that it's mostly an English Canada thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_North_America#Canada

In fact, if you guys believe we are more racists than the rest of Canada, I'd very much like to see hard data on this.  I suspect you don't have anything to show...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 12:41:32 PM

if anything, Quebec remains more open to difference than the rest of Canada.  Keeping religion seperate from state is not an attack on immigrants.  An attack on fanatics, certainly, but not on the general immigrant population.

In fact, if you search for racism in Canada, you get a pretty convincing case that it's mostly an English Canada thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_North_America#Canada

In fact, if you guys believe we are more racists than the rest of Canada, I'd very much like to see hard data on this.  I suspect you don't have anything to show...

:hmm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/59-of-quebecers-say-they-re-racist-poll-1.645604

QuoteFifty-nine per cent of Quebecers admit to being racist to some degree, according to a Léger Marketing survey published Monday in Le Journal de Montréal.

In comparison, only 47 per cent of those outside Quebec say they are racist to some degree.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

How many racist/nationalist organization similar to right-wing european parties like BNP or Front National in english Canada?
How many racist/nationalist organization similar to right-wing european parties like BNP or Front National in Quebec?
How many Holocaust deniers in Quebec?  In english Canada?

Exactly how is secularism racist, again?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2013, 12:59:17 PM
:hmm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/59-of-quebecers-say-they-re-racist-poll-1.645604

QuoteFifty-nine per cent of Quebecers admit to being racist to some degree, according to a Léger Marketing survey published Monday in Le Journal de Montréal.

In comparison, only 47 per cent of those outside Quebec say they are racist to some degree.
So, Quebecers are more honest than their Canadian friends in answering polls?  Big news there! :P

Grey Fox

Viper, we need owed up to it, not deny it.

Yeah, we're racist, so fucking what? Fuck you!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2013, 01:28:28 PM

What Viper has to own up to is that a goverment policy that adversely affects only minority immigrant populations while protecting majority interests through an exemption in the law is pretty much the closest one can come to a racist law without being an express as having a sign which reads "No practicing Muslims allowed".

viper37

canadians opposed to bilinguism don't consider themselves racists, while Québécois opposed to bilinguism understand they are racist.  That's the difference right there. ;)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

What Viper has to own up to is that a goverment policy that adversely affects only minority immigrant populations while protecting majority interests through an exemption in the law
you mean like Ontarian court taking part in jewish religious marriage?  or like British Columbia denying adequate fundings for French schools?