And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AM
You cannot expect this of Boomers that were part of the Quiet Revolution. Water is wet, Boomers are intolerant towards everyones religions.

The thing I dont understand GF is why all this interance is boiling to the surface now.  I wonder if the PQ has looked at the demographic trends and have realized they need to start fundamentally changing Quebec society to remain relevant.

Yeah - Boomers are all retiring now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AMYou cannot expect this of Boomers that were part of the Quiet Revolution. Water is wet, Boomers are intolerant towards everyones religions.

But you're not a boomer and you're defending this? Or did I misunderstand and you're simply describing the arguments rather than claiming them as your own?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AMYou cannot expect this of Boomers that were part of the Quiet Revolution. Water is wet, Boomers are intolerant towards everyones religions.

But you're not a boomer and you're defending this? Or did I misunderstand and you're simply describing the arguments rather than claiming them as your own?

I think he's just describing the attitude.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 11:58:56 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AM
You cannot expect this of Boomers that were part of the Quiet Revolution. Water is wet, Boomers are intolerant towards everyones religions.

The thing I dont understand GF is why all this interance is boiling to the surface now.  I wonder if the PQ has looked at the demographic trends and have realized they need to start fundamentally changing Quebec society to remain relevant.

Yeah - Boomers are all retiring now.

It was a campaign promess the PQ did. I don't understand why now more then you but they haven't been able to keep any of their promesses & this minority government is 6 month away from a new election.

Montreal media is all up in arms that the government is doing this for Montreal(let's face it, not many immigrants in other regions) while Montreal didn't ask for any of this.

@Jacob, you didn't misunderstand up until now I didn't make the distinction between the argument & what I think on Languish.

To be fair, what I've read so far of this charter is that it's taking the fight against religion in all the wrong places.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 11:32:35 AM
That is what I feared.  Complete and total intolerance of the other.  For years I thought Grallon was just the lunatic fringe of the separatist movement.  Now it seems the lunatics are running the asylum in Quebec.

:rolleyes:  It's religion that makes us itchy - not the fact they're foreigners.

No religion in public - there's no rocket science involved here...

And since devout Muslims - and some Jewish sub sects - are all about being ostentatious - that's when people get pissed.  But I've already explained all that, GF just did again and so did Viper before.  We're wasting time with you people. <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

I asked an Algerian dude at a sports bar near UQAM what he thought about this proposal but all I got from him was he wanted to know exactly what it would do.

Barrister

GF - any work on what the CAQ will do with this proposal?  It is a minority government after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on September 11, 2013, 12:50:49 PM

Unless of course they are accepted by the government as being "historical". 

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 12:53:23 PM
GF - any work on what the CAQ will do with this proposal?  It is a minority government after all.
As it's written they've said they won't pass it.  Too extreme for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

It needs to curtail the limits for public employees to only person of authority to have chance with them.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 01:11:16 PM

It's stupid idea but they are in fact historical.

Malthus

If I was a Quebec voter, I'd be pissed.

Not only is this proposal obnoxious, but more to the point, it is completely unnecessary - it offers a non-fix for a non-problem, paints the province in a bad light, and is a distraction from the real issues and concerns which the province is facing.

I can only assume that the governing party is in effect trolling to ignite an 'us-versus-them' controversy in the hope of re-igniting interest in seperatism. Something other than, say, governing the province for the benefit of its population.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Bah.

Talking about the economy ad nauseum is boring, plus they can't do anything but raise our already high taxes. Atleast while they are arguing this they aren't raising the TVQ to 20%.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 01:31:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 01:11:16 PM

It's stupid idea but they are in fact historical.

I agree it is historical.  But the exception simply illustrates that religious symbols can be important to people for all kinds of reasons other than the tokens of slavery the PQ ascribes to them.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 01:44:24 PM
Bah.

Talking about the economy ad nauseum is boring, plus they can't do anything but raise our already high taxes. Atleast while they are arguing this they aren't raising the TVQ to 20%.

When I want entertainment, I go to the circus to see the clowns.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius