News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

That said, I don't think Northern Gateway should foot much of the bill for studies to improve weather forecasting on the West Coast. But it seems fair that they should pitch in for the studies on how to effectively clean up a potential bitumen spill.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2013, 04:46:34 PM
That said, I don't think Northern Gateway should foot much of the bill for studies to improve weather forecasting on the West Coast. But it seems fair that they should pitch in for the studies on how to effectively clean up a potential bitumen spill.

I dont agree.  But in any event that is not how the legislation currently reads.  If May's point is that she thinks that should be done now then she doesnt understand the concept of retrospective or retroactive effects of leglislation (assuming the legislation was changed to reflect your view) all of which is generally unenforceable except for a few exceptions.

To the larger policy question you raise of whether legislation should be drafted to pass on the costs of government research to applicants - the government gets its fair share in taxes and royalties.  If you also caused potential applicants to be bound to pay for research the government might wish to conduct which is unkown and perhas unknowable at the beginning of the process that would be a signficant chilling effect on anyone wishing to do business here.

Neil

It's Elizabeth May.  I don't really care what she has to say about anything.  I wasn't inclined to trust her to begin with, but after the way she humiliated herself in the televised debates, she made it pretty clear that she had nothing to offer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2013, 04:13:19 PM
The federal government has allegedly spent $120M to facilitate the building of the Northern Gateway pipeline: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/04/elizabeth-may-northern-gateway-harper_n_3868343.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-politics

How likely is this allegation to be factual?

If it is factual, how big a deal is it?

COuld well be true.  Personally, I don't really like corporate support for business, but this is hardly the first or last time it'll happen.  I vote for "not a big deal".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2013, 04:52:06 PMI dont agree.  But in any event that is not how the legislation currently reads.  If May's point is that she thinks that should be done now then she doesnt understand the concept of retrospective or retroactive effects of leglislation (assuming the legislation was changed to reflect your view) all of which is generally unenforceable except for a few exceptions.

To the larger policy question you raise of whether legislation should be drafted to pass on the costs of government research to applicants - the government gets its fair share in taxes and royalties.  If you also caused potential applicants to be bound to pay for research the government might wish to conduct which is unkown and perhas unknowable at the beginning of the process that would be a signficant chilling effect on anyone wishing to do business here.

A reasonable counter argument.

I'll default to "money spent on research on oil clean up and weather forecasting seems fair enough" unless something else comes up.

crazy canuck

From an article in the Globe.

QuoteMs. Marois made it clear that she wants to prevent government employees from wearing veils, stating it has a "connotation in regards to the equality between men and women, a form of submission." She said that a veiled educator, for example, has authority over children and could incite them to practice her religion.

She said that a full-time teacher who wears a hijab would receive help to transition and live within the rules adopted by the Quebec society.

A veiled educator could "incite" people to practice her religion?  I hope there is a translation issue here.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 03:26:26 PM
"Help to transition"? <_<

Yeah, that too.  The re-education camps cant be far off.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 03:26:26 PM
"Help to transition"? <_<

"Here, let me help you with that ..." riiippp.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Is it really all that surprising that a group of ultranationalists are racist?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 06, 2013, 03:25:10 PM

QuoteMs. Marois made it clear that she wants to prevent government employees from wearing veils, stating it has a "connotation in regards to the equality between men and women, a form of submission." She said that a veiled educator, for example, has authority over children and could incite them to practice her religion.

She said that a full-time teacher who wears a hijab would receive help to transition and live within the rules adopted by the Quebec society.

A veiled educator could "incite" people to practice her religion?  I hope there is a translation issue here.

So I see you're back to your usual sin of 'ascribing motivations' that aren't there?  How Canadian of you.

Of course an individual in a position of authority can influence his/her charges by wearing - and justifying the reasoning behind it - a symbol of slavery.  He or she (usually a 'She') can genuinely believe it merely denotes a private devotion.  But anyone with a brain that isn't clouded by the toxic multiculturalism dogmas so prevalent in Canada will recognize that her headscarf is nothing but a slave collar - and thus - carries the message that females are slaves.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on September 09, 2013, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 06, 2013, 03:25:10 PM

So I see you're back to your usual sin of 'ascribing motivations' that aren't there?  How Canadian of you.

No, I am back to trying to figure out what a separatist polician means and giving her the benefit of the doubt that she was mistranslated or that she made a poor use of words in English because what she is reported as having said makes no sense at all.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on September 09, 2013, 07:24:38 PM
Of course an individual in a position of authority can influence his/her charges by wearing - and justifying the reasoning behind it - a symbol of slavery.  He or she (usually a 'She') can genuinely believe it merely denotes a private devotion.  But anyone with a brain that isn't clouded by the toxic multiculturalism dogmas so prevalent in Canada will recognize that her headscarf is nothing but a slave collar - and thus - carries the message that females are slaves.

G.

Yes because, in general, we should always adopt a paternalistic approach and assume that people don't know the real reasons for assuming cultural symbols.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, I was reading about this idea of banning religious symbols and I thought it so laughable that Quebec was like but we won't take down the crucifix in the national assembly as that is part of our history.

Grey Fox

The Charter of Values : the proposal.

http://nosvaleurs.gouv.qc.ca/en#minister Click it, it's in English(not it's in entirety).

This is mostly what France in a couple different laws, the oldest from 1805.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.