News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2013, 01:10:51 PM
Quebec has been talking about it for 30 years now.  But then, it was just Quebec whining.  Now that they see the truth after everyone else, Canadians suddenly ask for change.

Thats Bullshit.  The Reform party was talking about Senate reform for just as long.  Triple E was one of the reasons I didnt support them.  Another level of Federal government?  - no thanks.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
Agreed.  The worst thing we could do is to give the Senate some power.  Best just to get rid of the damn thing.

I suspect the problem is caused by the fact that the existance of a "senate" is imbedded in the constitution like a tick. Getting rid of it would require some sort of Constitutional amendment, and we all know how well *that* goes.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Yep.  I heard a news clip this morning in which Trudeau said in the House that the Senate is important to "us" and by "us" he was referring to Quebecers.

I hold out no hope that the Senate will be abolished but I still think that is the correct thing to do.  Absent that we have to live with what we have.  The worst possible solution, in my view, is to give it any legitimacy or power.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2013, 01:24:26 PM
Quebec has been talking about it for 30 years now.  But then, it was just Quebec whining.  Now that they see the truth after everyone else, Canadians suddenly ask for change.

Thats Bullshit.  The Reform party was talking about Senate reform for just as long.  Triple E was one of the reasons I didnt support them.  Another level of Federal government?  - no thanks.
Then bring back Meech.  That was a good accord for the provinces, and it limited the Feds power by granting provinces a veto right.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on May 28, 2013, 01:19:17 PMThere is nothing to indicate that Canada needs a senate for anything (other than an old folks' home for elderly political hacks).

Yeah.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2013, 01:44:37 PM

Then bring back Meech.

Lol, that is exactly the sort of reason Malthus indicated abolishing the senate would never occur.  Quebec would immediately demand the moon and stars in return for abolition.  No thanks.  Putting up with the Duffys of the world is preferable to that.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Towhey has a twitter feed with a few gems on it: https://twitter.com/towhey/

QuoteYawn. Another quiet day off. Too rainy to go to the movies. Can anyone recommend a good video?

QuoteThe week in review: all in all, gotta be pretty happy with the way we buried the magnet story.

Malthus... what's the magnet story?

Josephus

I could tell you...but since you specifically asked Malthus, then I won't.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2013, 02:09:08 PM
I could tell you...but since you specifically asked Malthus, then I won't.  :(

:lol:

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2013, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2013, 01:44:37 PM

Then bring back Meech.

Lol, that is exactly the sort of reason Malthus indicated abolishing the senate would never occur.  Quebec would immediately demand the moon and stars in return for abolition.  No thanks.  Putting up with the Duffys of the world is preferable to that.
Distinct society = moon and stars.  Interesting point of view.  Nothing has really changed in Canada since 1990.  Bilinguism is stagnating, french is receding, but all is ok :)
The rest of the agreement concerns every provinces, so I doubt it's "asking moon and star". Especially since 7 provinces all signed it in the first place.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Meech Lake failed for a reason.  And now you suggest going back to it like nothing happened. 

Barrister

Surely you'd go back to Charlottetown, rather than Meech?

And EEE is where it is at people!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.