News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 08:41:37 AM
Quick survey, Canadians....do you watch TV news at all, and if so which one? I try to watch Mansbridge every evening.

I'm trying to force myself to watch the local news (what happens on the local news one night hits my desk the next morning), but for national stuff I stick with online sources.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I don't really watch TV. I get my news from the internet, and occasionally I read newspapers.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 08:41:37 AM
Quick survey, Canadians....do you watch TV news at all, and if so which one? I try to watch Mansbridge every evening.
The first 15 minutes of RDI daily news, from 12:00 to 12:10/15.  I prefer to read nowadays.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2013, 10:55:22 AM
I don't really watch TV. I get my news from the internet, and occasionally I read newspapers.

This.

Jacob

A response to the recent attack ad on Trudeau: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-1XiHGjtM

I guess it does offer a rationale for the anti-Trudeau animus.

Neil

I would imagine that a lot of the anti-Trudeau animus comes from the negative feelings towards his father, as well as the same place that the anti-Stronach and anti-Ignatieff feelings came from.  Nobody likes a rich prettyboy dilettante coming in and expecting to just be swept into office.  And we know that when the going gets tough, Trudeau will give up and go away, just like those other two did.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

The French ad is very different. The ad talks about the country we can build together and doesn't acknowledge the attack ads.

It's fair tho, no one in Quebec is in interested into what the Cons think of Trudeau.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

That wasn't an ad, Grey Fox - it was a spoof. And while on the surface it isn't nice to Harper, it does go along with the CPC characterization of Trudeau so it's not really helping the Liberals either :)

Jacob

In related news...

It looks like the messaging battle between the Liberals and the Conservatives is shaping up. The Conservatives are off to a good start, I think - both CC and BB are on message, and it's an easy message to put out too. We'll see if it sticks.

The Liberals it seems, and unlike the Dion and Ignatieff Libs, are hitting back: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/24/conservatives-set-to-orchestrate-mass-mail-campaign-against-trudeau-at-taxpayers-expense/ -- not a bad reply.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

crazy canuck

If you were paying attention you would have noticed I was saying this about Trudeau before the ad came out.  My wife watched the Trudeau interview in which he made the "root causes" comment and she said "I cant believe he just said that as she turned the TV off."  The Globe and Mail had editorials on what a mistake it was for him before the ad came out.

In short, this is like shooting fish in a barrel for the Conservatives.  The only thing they might do wrong is over do it so that people start feeling sorry for Trudeau.

Jacob

Yeah, I did notice that. I'm sure that the CPC picked that line of attack because there is something to it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2013, 02:51:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 11, 2013, 02:38:48 PM
BC voters skeptical of current government's economic numbers leading into the election: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-liberals-credibility-gap-now-extends-to-economy/article11017424/

What's your take CC? Battening down the hatches and getting ready to weather and NDP government, or you figure the Libs still have a decent shot?

Its would be a major miracle if the Liberals can pull this one out.  The only decent shot they had is if Clark had called an election after she won the Libership.  Things have gone from really bad to epically bad since then.

I fear you will be able to experience first hand what an NDP governement is like in this province.  The good news is I am hopeful they wont repeat the mistakes of the past and try to change everything at once.   But we shall see.

At the half way mark of the election it seems a major miracle might be on the way.  Dix may have made a major blunder last week when he changed is position on the Northern Gateway project.  I think it reminded people that if anyone has a hidden agenda - its him.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 10:53:45 AMAt the half way mark of the election it seems a major miracle might be on the way.  Dix may have made a major blunder last week when he changed is position on the Northern Gateway project.  I think it reminded people that if anyone has a hidden agenda - its him.

He changed his position on the Northern Gateway?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 12:43:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 10:53:45 AMAt the half way mark of the election it seems a major miracle might be on the way.  Dix may have made a major blunder last week when he changed is position on the Northern Gateway project.  I think it reminded people that if anyone has a hidden agenda - its him.

He changed his position on the Northern Gateway?

Yeah, Dix always said that he would wait for the results of the enviornmental review before making up his mind.  Then on Earth Day he announced that he would oppose the project whatever the review might say.  Its been pretty big news since he said it and I bet he wished he had that one back.

Given the number of things he says he needs to review before making a decision people are rightfully worried that in fact he has made up his mind on all those other things as well but doesnt want to tell us what he will do during the election.

Here is a story about the narrowing of the polling numbers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/narrowing-ndp-lead-over-liberals-in-bc-puts-pressure-on-dix/article11693015/

Jacob

You must be pleased :)

What's your position on the Northern Gateway? Yes/ No/ wait for the review?