News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2012, 06:41:20 PMAnd by the way the article you posted says exactly that.

You mean this part?
Quote"So I am a huge supporter of decriminalization."

However, Trudeau added that the next step to look at would be legalization. This would take marijuana profits away from criminal organizations and allow the government to tax and regulate the drug.

Yeah, it does seem that Trudeau is using the word decriminalization the way the BB uses it, and that you are correct that his goal is to legalize and tax marijuana use.

crazy canuck

BB seems to ignore that I didnt want to enter into a debate about what legalization vs decriminalization means and to whom.

The election issue is going to be making pot available for sale in a regulated way.  One does not need to descend into the realm of semantics to understand it.

Jacob

I find it interesting that you're considering supporting the Liberals and Trudeau over this issue, especially as I consider you a bellwether for certain sectors of the electorate (much as I do several of the other posters here, but for different sectors).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2012, 07:13:39 PM
I find it interesting that you're considering supporting the Liberals and Trudeau over this issue, especially as I consider you a bellwether for certain sectors of the electorate (much as I do several of the other posters here, but for different sectors).

It is one of the few issues I feel strongly about.  It is an absurd law that does a lot of damage to society. 

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2012, 07:15:08 PMIt is one of the few issues I feel strongly about.  It is an absurd law that does a lot of damage to society.

Personally I'm not pleased with the amount of money organized crime is making on pot, primarily because of the violence that comes with it.

Josephus

I'm still not convinced, though, that this is going to be a major issue come election time. I can see Canada decriminalizing or legalizing it at some point (many Americans seem to think it is--Bill Maher goes on about it all the time) but it won't be an issue over which prime ministers are made.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2012, 06:48:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2012, 06:41:20 PMAnd by the way the article you posted says exactly that.

You mean this part?
Quote"So I am a huge supporter of decriminalization."

However, Trudeau added that the next step to look at would be legalization. This would take marijuana profits away from criminal organizations and allow the government to tax and regulate the drug.

Yeah, it does seem that Trudeau is using the word decriminalization the way the BB uses it, and that you are correct that his goal is to legalize and tax marijuana use.

He said the next step "to look at" would be legalization, but he was clearly fairly uncertain on that point.

QuoteSo I don't know that legalizing it — although I totally understand the arguments around removing the criminal elements — I don't know that it's entirely consistent with the kind of society we're trying to build

I think when you parse Trudeau's words you can understand his position, but I certainly don't fault CC for thinking he wants to legalize.  He was not very clear - perhaps trying to maintain some ambiguity on the point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

I don't know what cc is going on about. It might be an election issue for you dude, no way in hell would it register anywhere else in the country.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on November 24, 2012, 01:44:00 AM
I don't know what cc is going on about. It might be an election issue for you dude, no way in hell would it register anywhere else in the country.
I don't think it will be enough to convince the french speaking Quebecers of voting for the Liberals again.  The english speakers are of course, still voting blindly for the Libs.  Nothing will deter them.  Same for the Italians and the Greeks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Given the rest of your posts on this forum your rejection of the idea gives me hope it will be accepted by most.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 11:12:53 PM
I think when you parse Trudeau's words you can understand his position, but I certainly don't fault CC for thinking he wants to legalize.  He was not very clear - perhaps trying to maintain some ambiguity on the point.

Still trying to convinced I didnt hear him say what I heard him say based on a talk he gave on another occasion to a room full of high school students?

I suppose we will have to wait for the election to see if you does say way I heard him say.  It may be a trial balloon for this audience.  But it does become an election issue it will win votes for Trudeau in BC.  Something the Liberals have been trying to do for generations.

It will also piss Zoupa off if Liberals are elected in Quebec so that alone is a moral good.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2012, 01:22:05 PM

Given the rest of your posts on this forum your rejection of the idea gives me hope it will be accepted by most.

Ok. What crawled up your ass?

Actually, scratch that. I really don't care. :D

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2012, 01:33:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 11:12:53 PM

Still trying to convinced I didnt hear him say what I heard him say based on a talk he gave on another occasion to a room full of high school students?

I suppose we will have to wait for the election to see if you does say way I heard him say.  It may be a trial balloon for this audience.  But it does become an election issue it will win votes for Trudeau in BC.  Something the Liberals have been trying to do for generations.

It will also piss Zoupa off if Liberals are elected in Quebec so that alone is a moral good.

Convinced, not, but reasonably confident that, given your misunderstanding of the terms "decriminalize" and "legalize", that you misunderstood his somewhat ambiguous language.

And I don't know why the hostility - deciminalizing would still be a big change, and if you're right a vote winner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I like Trudeau :)

I've done loads of those online votematch things through Languish.  The Liberals were the only party I think I've ever got about a 100% result from and I liked Ignatieff too :(
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Ignatieff would have been a good Prime Minister, imho.  His only problem was, he was leading the Liberal Party of Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.