News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I like how most of them assume we're going to lack money when we do leave.

Hey, assholes, you're going to own us a bunch of billions if you want your boats to ever get thru the st-lawrence seaway ever again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2012, 12:41:17 PM
Hey, assholes, you're going to own us a bunch of billions if you want your boats to ever get thru the st-lawrence seaway ever again.
you can't forbid them passage through the St-Lawrence if you want to be part of NAFTA.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Well, put me down as one of the people who'd rather Quebec stays in Canada.

HVC

even disregarding NAFTA, stemming trade to Canada would probably hurt you more then us. How much of your current trade is with the US? And beyond that, can canada stop/tarif Quebec trade through the  gulf of St. Lawerence in retaliation to tarifs on the river itself?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2012, 12:29:08 PM
I love how 90% of the emails in there contain at least one insult towards Quebecers.  :lol:
Quebec bashing does not exist, and it's all part of my (supposedly) vivid imagination.  So I guess you dreamt about that ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

it's like the little brother who says he hates you, then asks for lunch money or if he can follow you around. It gets grating, but it's not like we don't love you :hug: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Also, what happens in the northern natives separate and join canada? Can they? Do their treaty rights allow them too? i remember a long time ago that the pole numbers amongst the first nations were very much in favour of staying in canada. I wonder if it still is?

Zoupa

I give you two gems from the "Qc should stay in Canada" writers:

"– Mankind once lived in isolated communities, speaking thousands of languages. All were essentially ignorant of, and understandably indifferent to, other communities. However, the world has changed. The time has come to put behind us these ancient tribal divisions. Let us have the maturity to reform Canada as one nation and one people, with the courage and confidence to embrace a single common language — our greatest gift to future generations.
Iain G. Foulds, Spruce Grove, Alta"

"– Frankly, the future of Quebec is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Globalization, free trade, and the effects of technology in homogenizing culture worldwide have changed the playing field. Many of us who have been devoted federalists now see that, irrespective of what happens to Quebec, Canada will remain strong, and Quebecers will assume both the benefits and obligations of being "maitres chez nous." If Quebec leaves Confederation, it won't matter very much in the larger scheme of things.
Norm McDougall, Thunder Bay, Ont."

Canada.  :)

HVC

Zoupa is an agitator <_< . Viper, GF, et all have the right to bitch, Zoupa came here, took his oath to canada, and is trying to tear us apart. Oathbreaker!

also, i seem to be spamming this tread. i apologize. i'm bored :lol:

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
even disregarding NAFTA, stemming trade to Canada would probably hurt you more then us. How much of your current trade is with the US? And beyond that, can canada stop/tarif Quebec trade through the  gulf of St. Lawerence in retaliation to tarifs on the river itself?
Even if we were to prevent "Canadian" ships from sailing through the river itself, or tariffing it to the max, it wouldn't make billions.
First, there ain't that much "Canadian" ships, except for tourists.  Commercial ships tend to register in fiscal paradises.
Second, it needs to stop in a Quebec port to pay the docking fees.  If it stops in Chicago, there is nothing we can collect.

So we need ships who have the Canadian flag that will stop in Quebec to have a real significance, and there may not be that much.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:07:10 PM
Also, what happens in the northern natives separate and join canada? Can they? Do their treaty rights allow them too? i remember a long time ago that the pole numbers amongst the first nations were very much in favour of staying in canada. I wonder if it still is?
They won't, because they are happy in Quebec now, compared to 1995.  It's amazing what a few million$ does to change one's mind :)

Zoupa

I stayed silent during the oath to the Queen. I was 6 years old, but even then I knew the British were not to be trusted  :ph34r:

I do believe the check I just sent to Ottawa 2 weeks ago for my taxes gives me a right to bitch, thankyouverymuch.  :glare:

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2012, 01:12:49 PM
I stayed silent during the oath to the Queen. I was 6 years old, but even then I knew the British were not to be trusted  :ph34r:

I do believe the check I just sent to Ottawa 2 weeks ago for my taxes gives me a right to bitch, thankyouverymuch.  :glare:
Wait, does that mean i can get you deported :shifty:

and don't worry, that check is coming straight to me. Yay student credits and crappy pay.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2012, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:07:10 PM
They won't, because they are happy in Quebec now, compared to 1995.  It's amazing what a few million$ does to change one's mind :)
if canada takes the few million (billion?) it was transfering to quebec and starts funneling that to the natives they'll come back to the fold. Anglo-french native proxy war, just like the good old days :wub:

Ed Anger

QuoteNorm McDougall, Thunder Bay, Ont."

I misread that as Norm MacDonald. I MISS NORM.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive