News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2012, 03:54:55 PM
But there wasn't a spat of 8.9 month old abortions, was there? Did anything really change? Serious question. What's different now from before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_canada
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Wikipedia lies :P fine, I'll read the link :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

I dunno, so far at least there hasn't been any pressing need for a new law. The law was struck down what, 20 years ago or so?

Seems a non-issue.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I can't see the Conservatives introducing any substantive abortion bill, other than private member's bills, I dont think Harper wants to be criticized for having a socially conservative agenda, even if he were to introduce a liberal abortion bill.
The only party who could ever get away with introducing an abortion bill, albeit a liberal one, would be the Liberal Party--but I don't think they're interested. It's a can of worms.
As Malthus said, what we have now, or don't have, seems to be working fine.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Agreed.  I dont see a need for legislation.

Jacob

So... it's just posturing for a certain part of the base to let this guy talk about abortion for a while and then have a free vote on the bill, whatever it is, and make sure it doesn't pass behind the scenes? Is that how it's going to play out?

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2012, 06:30:51 PM
I can't see the Conservatives introducing any substantive abortion bill, other than private member's bills, I dont think Harper wants to be criticized for having a socially conservative agenda, even if he were to introduce a liberal abortion bill.
The only party who could ever get away with introducing an abortion bill, albeit a liberal one, would be the Liberal Party--but I don't think they're interested. It's a can of worms.

The only possible way I could see a serious abortion bill would be if they could manage to put together an all-party committee to come up with one.  Obviously the rules implemented would be pretty mild, and they might want to do it under the CHA rather than the Criminal Code, but I think there would be a lot of benefit to having a single set of nation-wide rules for abortions.

But I don't see it happening any time soon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2012, 08:39:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2012, 06:30:51 PM

The only possible way I could see a serious abortion bill would be if they could manage to put together an all-party committee to come up with one.  Obviously the rules implemented would be pretty mild, and they might want to do it under the CHA rather than the Criminal Code, but I think there would be a lot of benefit to having a single set of nation-wide rules for abortions.

But I don't see it happening any time soon.
I'm not sure that I see the benefit of having a law or a rule for that.  The existing situation seems to work just fine, and the fewer laws that are passed, the better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

You guys are fucking hilarious.  Getting torqued up over robocalls?  That's been an American tradition for years.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2012, 07:40:46 AM
You guys are fucking hilarious.  Getting torqued up over robocalls?  That's been an American tradition for years.
robocalls that tell you to go to the wrong place to vote :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on March 21, 2012, 07:41:47 AM

Dude, what do you think they're for?  How do you think predominantly black districts were told in Florida that elections were postponed for the next day in 2004?  Or that they could vote by telephone in 2008? :lol:

Canadians are so fucking naive sometimes.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2012, 07:50:05 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 21, 2012, 07:41:47 AM

Dude, what do you think they're for?  How do you think predominantly black districts were told in Florida that elections were postponed for the next day in 2004?  Or that they could vote by telephone in 2008? :lol:

Canadians are so fucking naive sometimes.
ah, politics :D

although here whitey got played. that's a no-no anywhere you go :P

Josephus

And I'm so glad America wants to export its "democracy" to the rest of the world.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

I'm surprised there is no mention yet of the widespread childish hilarity created by the Wildrose Bus ad:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/inside-politics-blog/wildrosebus-584.jpg

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius