News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2023, 08:23:38 PMI always feel like the rhetoric of the pro-pronouns crowd is insanely alarmist.
That and the unisex bathrooms.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The Centre des Sciences de Montréal has brand new unisex bathrooms and they are pretty cool. It's nice to have a stall that is actually intimate instead of not at all because we all are being treated like a degenerate drug user.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Liberals are planning to cut $1 billion from the defence budget, just weeks after committing to spend 2% of GDP on defence.

Canada currently spends 1.3%.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/department-national-defence-budget-billion-1.6981974

:frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-registration-online-streaming-1.6984400CRTC

As part of the implementation of Bill C-11, the CRTC is now requiring any streaming service or podcast service with revenues of $10 million or more to register with the CRTC.  So this probably doesn't catch your average podcaster or youtuber, but certainly would cover Youtube, Spotify, Netflix and others.

Article points out that at this stage it's pretty innocuous information gathering but almost certainly won't end there.

This is all being done in the name of ensuring Canadian content, but how exactly you do that with streaming or podcasts completely escapes me.  I mean it's easy enough with TV or radio - a set percentage of content has to be Canadian.  But when it's all online everything is a la carte - you choose what you want to watch or listen to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

And that's a big problem.

I don't know either how to fix this but it has to start somewhere.

Sheilbh

I think France does it with streaming services.

Read an interesting piece in the FT on how with streaming actually the case for locally produced content (for local audiences) is perhaps even stronger.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2023, 04:24:30 PMhttps://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-registration-online-streaming-1.6984400CRTC

As part of the implementation of Bill C-11, the CRTC is now requiring any streaming service or podcast service with revenues of $10 million or more to register with the CRTC.  So this probably doesn't catch your average podcaster or youtuber, but certainly would cover Youtube, Spotify, Netflix and others.

Article points out that at this stage it's pretty innocuous information gathering but almost certainly won't end there.

This is all being done in the name of ensuring Canadian content, but how exactly you do that with streaming or podcasts completely escapes me.  I mean it's easy enough with TV or radio - a set percentage of content has to be Canadian.  But when it's all online everything is a la carte - you choose what you want to watch or listen to.

Off the cuff - for services like Netflix, Youtube, and Spotify one easy Canadian Content rule is to require that landing screens, recommendations, and top search result algorithms feature X% of Canadian content (rather than whoever pays them the most for the top spots).

I, for one, would be thrilled if youtube "recommended for you" contained more Canada Heritage Moments instead of American outrage bait.

... though I suppose it might give Jordan Peterson a new lease on life.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2023, 06:40:13 PMAnd that's a big problem.

I don't know either how to fix this but it has to start somewhere.

How about you voluntarily look at less non Canadian content?  :)

It's ridiculous to me that the internet has given us the power the to instantly consume content from virtually anywhere in the world and you Canadians are talking about how much of that consumption has to be Canadian.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2023, 07:30:54 PMHow about you voluntarily look at less non Canadian content?
People often look at what is suggested by algorithms, they don't look further than that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

So my youtube algorithm is gonna be nothing but Corner Gas and Hudson & Rex clips?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2023, 07:30:54 PMHow about you voluntarily look at less non Canadian content?  :)

Are you aware of the level of influence algorithmic recommendations have on viewing habits?

QuoteIt's ridiculous to me that the internet has given us the power the to instantly consume content from virtually anywhere in the world and you Canadians are talking about how much of that consumption has to be Canadian.

And I find what you're saying ridiculous :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 03, 2023, 08:05:03 PMSo my youtube algorithm is gonna be nothing but Corner Gas and Hudson & Rex clips?

I dunno. I'm not making the policy. I was just brainstorming answers to Beeb's rhetorical "how are you even gonna CanCon online content?!"

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2023, 09:26:14 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 03, 2023, 08:05:03 PMSo my youtube algorithm is gonna be nothing but Corner Gas and Hudson & Rex clips?

I dunno. I'm not making the policy. I was just brainstorming answers to Beeb's rhetorical "how are you even gonna CanCon online content?!"

I just assume they'll do the same work around tv channels do and make a block of cheap Canadian tv at off peak hours. Closest comparison I can think of is pick 2-3  sample Canadian content and make a few spam recommendations for those. Nothing changes everyone is happy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on October 03, 2023, 07:40:54 PMPeople often look at what is suggested by algorithms, they don't look further than that.

We're not talking about just people.  We're talking about Canadians who presumably want to limit the percentage of non Canadian content they consume.