News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2022, 12:30:56 PM
That doesn't change the fact that the NDP is accomplishing things, and voting for them is having a direct influence on the governance of the country.

That's why many Conservatives insist on purity of essence. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2022, 03:17:31 PM
I wonder where all those brave officers are now?
Waiting for their government to give them orders?

I guess Ford does not want to order OPP on what he may sees as his voting base, and Trudeau is afraid of criticism for sending the police to what is mostly a peaceful protest so far, with the risk of violence and people getting hurt.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2022, 03:19:48 PM
I think most parties that govern for a while (I think especially parties of power like the Liberals) tend to end with corruption scandals/general exhaustion.
Been there, done that, multiple times.  People still vote for the crooks.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2022, 03:28:57 PM
Another Conservative MP endorsing the FluKluxClan

Quote from: @KevinWaugh_CPCA few of our SK Caucus members went to show our appreciation for the hardworking, patriotic truckers who have kept our supply chains healthy & grocery shelves stocked for the past two years. It's great to see Canadians championing freedom on Parliament Hill. #freedomconvoy22

It's shameful, but no different than other politicians across the spectrum.  I mean, Québec Solidaire did commit itself behind the Occuy Movement and the student protests.  Its current leader and elected MNA is the former leader of the radical wing of these protests.

Also, this:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattwolfab/status/1232772187733446656

So, nothing really new here.

Grey Fox

That's his side. That's their side. The fact that you equal them makes you a Nazi enabler.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Guys you're going about it wrong. Viper, these guys are white supremacist  Canadians, so they're probably anti-francaphone too.

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

I should correct myself... I meant FluTruxKlan, not FluKluxClan. My bad.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 03, 2022, 06:12:31 PM
Guys you're going about it wrong. Viper, these guys are white supremacist  Canadians, so they're probably anti-francaphone too.

:P

I do not support the protesters.  I would not participate if I had a truck.  I will not participate in any such protest as a citizen.

However, I believe it is unfair to characterize all of these people as fascists.  Many of them are simply morons, it's just like Trumpism, a good mix of white supremacists with authoritarian types and lots of morons who follow reflectively for various reasons that mostly translate as "not the other party".

However, there is a huge discrepancy in how the medias treat this protest as others.

Student protests: It's beautiful to see the youths taking the street to defend their opinions!  It's only a few rotten apples who cause all the damage.  It's totally legitimate to protest and block entry to universities once a strike has been declared.
Palestinian protest: It's people totally outside this organization that came out of nowhere with Hezbollah & Hamas flags.  "I have not seen these anti semitic slogans you talk about; they must have been by a minority who joined us along the way".
Black Lives matter protests: "There is systemic racism in this country, these people are descendants of slaves imported to work for us, it's normal they are angry".

Vox Populi on protest X: "I'm here to protest against all these filthy rich politicians who steel from us, I'm here to pronounce a death sentence against capitalism.  I'm here to protest the treatment of Palestinians by Israeli Nazis".  All of this on a protest against the war on Iraq. Held in Montreal.  When Canada did not participate in the war.

But do this in a trucker's protest, get the same kind of answers, and now it's horrible.  Acts of violence and vandalism?  It's systematically planned this way by the organizers.  Jam downtown of the city? HOW HORRIBLE TO DO THIS TO POOR WORKERS!!!  Well, fuck, where's the sympathy when it's a leftwing protests? "Ah, they have the right to protests".

NDP MPs attend illegal protests: "It's beautiful that some politicians truly care about social issues and the plight of the people".
Con MP attend illegal protests: "he's nazi enabler, talking with protesters who create a nuisance to economic activities of the country".
QS MNA participate in a illegal protest and gets arrested: "How awful and disgraceful that the police arrested protesters for simply exercising their rights".

So yeah, the double standards annoys me greatly.

Either all illegal protests are bad, this one included, or none are.  I do not favor the kind of justice where your political alignment rather than your  behavior determines what is great and what is evil.  Anti-francophone or not.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2022, 10:43:33 AM
Either all illegal protests are bad, this one included, or none are.  I do not favor the kind of justice where your political alignment rather than your  behavior determines what is great and what is evil.  Anti-francophone or not.

Protests are fine.

I would be fine with these protests too - even as I disagree with them - if they didn't terrorize the population of Ottawa with incessant honking 12+ hours a day for days on end. Even blocking traffic would be annoying but acceptable. They are inflicting sleep deprivation and mental stress on the regular people of Ottawa for an extended period of time and that is completely unacceptable to me.

Jacob

I'm seeing counter protests being organized on Saturday in Toronto, Ottawa, and Waterloo.

Jacob

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 04, 2022, 11:26:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2022, 10:43:33 AM

Protests are fine.

I would be fine with these protests too - even as I disagree with them - if they didn't terrorize the population of Ottawa with incessant honking 12+ hours a day for days on end. Even blocking traffic would be annoying but acceptable. They are inflicting sleep deprivation and mental stress on the regular people of Ottawa for an extended period of time and that is completely unacceptable to me.
Night after night after night.  For an entire summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YC0ASnfv4

And that was "beautiful to see the youth committed to a cause".

So all the media and other commentors who now criticize the truckers?  Fuck 'em.

We were fascist for denying the students to right to protest and having the police intervene.  that was the general consensus.  Those who dissented faced a variety of threats.  Again, fuck 'em.

But again, doint that does not make them fascists in itself.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2022, 02:55:09 PM
Night after night after night.  For an entire summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YC0ASnfv4

And that was "beautiful to see the youth committed to a cause".

So all the media and other commentors who now criticize the truckers?  Fuck 'em.

We were fascist for denying the students to right to protest and having the police intervene.  that was the general consensus.  Those who dissented faced a variety of threats.  Again, fuck 'em.

But again, doint that does not make them fascists in itself.

I have no opinion of the student riots (so don't ascribe any to me, please). I do note that the police response is different than what we see towards the FluTruxKlan.

EDIT: I will note that none of the noise in the videos you linked would cause hearing damage in bystanders, contrary to the actions of the FluTruxKlan.

PRC

Andrew Coyne on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1489691701237141518
Here is how dumb, how utterly cretinous things have got in the Conservative Party: Peter MacKay hints at a leadership run, and I'm thinking to myself "oh thank goodness." PETER MACKAY.

A MacKay-led Conservative party would have no useful things to say on any issue, take no risks, and govern in a style indistinguishable from the Liberals. But it would not actually lend its support to racists, nutters and conspiracy theorists, and I guess that's my bar now.