News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2021, 02:27:02 PM
Is there anyway for Cons to fix their vote inefficiency? Second election in a row they win more in the popular vote but are way behind on seats - and I'm assuming as conservatives there's no appetite for electoral reform :lol:

They have giant margins in 1 region of the country. Like BB said their support went down in that region but it is still too high and skews the % of popular vote.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2021, 03:23:32 PM
Did you google the are we the baddies meme? And came to the correct conclusion that you were?

Who, me?

I was walking down the road when I had a vision.  I renounced my conservative ways and have embraced the progressive truth.

Either that or I got tired of being insulted and threatened with bannings for being a conservative and so I went undercover.

But it's totally that first thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

What is with conservatives and going undercover? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 03:32:00 PM
Did you google the are we the baddies meme? And came to the correct conclusion that you were?

Who, me?

I was walking down the road when I had a vision.  I renounced my conservative ways and have embraced the progressive truth.

Either that or I got tired of being insulted and threatened with bannings for being a conservative and so I went undercover.

I would like to talk to you about atheism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2021, 03:36:08 PM

Who, me?

Give him time. don't go to quickly or he'll radicalize!

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2021, 03:36:08 PM

And follow you into hellfire and damnation for forsaking the Lord?  I think not my good man!

Jacob

Either that or I got tired of being ... threatened with bannings for being a conservative and so I went undercover.

Oh... I'm sorry. That's probably me, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

What I meant when I said that you were on a time-out (I think that was the phrase) was "I'm really annoyed at you and am not going to respond to your posts until I get over it. If we had the ignore function I'd totally put you on it because [expletives]."

If you thought I was threatening to ban you, that was 100% not my intention, but I can see how I could've come across that way. I'd like to make it clear that I can't imagine banning you or otherwise using mod powers against you or your posts for basically anything you've posted in the history of this forum (with the exception of KAPland which was somewhat about arbitrary abuse of power in the interst of entertainment, but that period has been well and closed for years).

I mean, I frequently find that you're being an obnoxious twit (and I'm sure the feeling is mutual) but that engagement is purely on the poster to poster level as far as I'm concerned.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 21, 2021, 03:44:19 PM
Either that or I got tired of being ... threatened with bannings for being a conservative and so I went undercover.

Oh... I'm sorry.

I appreciate that Jacob.

I still don't feel like I can seriously talk politics around here, but I appreciate the apology.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 02:34:18 PMBut under proportional representation they'll never get enough support to form government.

Not true.

There's a lot of people who swing between the Liberals and the Conservatives. If people tire of Trudeau (and no party stays in power for ever), some people will vote for the Conservatives before the NDP. Even in Ontario.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2021, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 02:34:18 PMBut under proportional representation they'll never get enough support to form government.

Not true.

There's a lot of people who swing between the Liberals and the Conservatives. If people tire of Trudeau (and no party stays in power for ever), some people will vote for the Conservatives before the NDP. Even in Ontario.

But not enough to reach 50%.

Historically I can only think of one election where a party got more than 50% of the vote - Mulroney in 1984 (and even then he only got 50.03%).

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 03:55:09 PM
I appreciate that Jacob.

:cheers:

QuoteI still don't feel like I can seriously talk politics around here, but I appreciate the apology.

Yeah I get that... personally I appreciate your serious contributions but feel like you're being excessively thin-skinned when engaged with seriously in return. And obviously that's not your perspective. We're probably not going to agree on that, so I guess it'll just lie there and evolve however it evolves over time.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 04:07:53 PM

Not true.

Historically I can only think of one election where a party got more than 50% of the vote - Mulroney in 1984 (and even then he only got 50.03%).

Who needs 50 per cent of the vote to form a government? Did Harper?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

My expectations of PR is that we'd have more parties, and the government would be determined by coalition building. I'd expect the Libs and Tories to potentially turn into multiple parties, and I could definitely see governing coalitions of Social Conservatives, Red Tories + PPC or Business Liberals for example. But it would be a very different way to form governments than what Canadians are used to, so I don't see it happening.

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2021, 04:37:35 PM

Well in a PR situation you'd probably need a coalition representing close to 50% of the votes to govern (depending on implementation).

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2021, 04:37:35 PM

Not true.

Under proportional representation you need parties totaling up to 50%.