News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Man I had no idea posting on Languish was the path to enlightenment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2021, 01:29:43 PM

I was once a Republican
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2021, 01:31:19 PM

I was once a Republican

that was just an extreme expression of your contrarian streak :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

BB has entered his extreme stage, so maybe there is still hope for him?

Zoupa

Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2021, 07:41:23 AM
QuoteIn Québec, both spouses keep their surname after they marry. In other words, you must use the surname you were given at birth to exercise your civil rights, for example

when you sign a contract,
or apply for a driver's licence.
Even if you married outside Québec but you are domiciled in Québec, you must exercise your civil rights using the surname you were given at birth.

However, in your social life you can, if you wish, use your spouse's surname.

The way I read this is you can call yourself whatever you want your legal name is your surname. So its not legal to change tonyour spouses name, hence illegal.

As for a name change, from the same website you linked under Change of name: a significant act

Important

Under the Civil Code of Québec, both spouses retain their respective names in marriage and exercise civil rights under those names. Consequently, if a married woman wants to adopt her spouse's surname, the Directeur de l'état civil will authorize that change of name only in an exceptional situation.

Don't know why you're getting so worked up. Apparently quebecs not the only place with similar laws. Greece has them too

I'm not worked up, I just don't see how you can reach the conclusion I bolded. If anybody can change their name, then it's obviously not illegal to change to your spouse's name. :mellow:

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2021, 01:31:19 PM

I was once a Republican
God - I'd forgotten about that :console:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on September 15, 2021, 01:59:17 PM
QuoteIn Québec, both spouses keep their surname after they marry. In other words, you must use the surname you were given at birth to exercise your civil rights, for example

Even if you married outside Québec but you are domiciled in Québec, you must exercise your civil rights using the surname you were given at birth.

The way I read this is you can call yourself whatever you want your legal name is your surname. So its not legal to change tonyour spouses name, hence illegal.

As for a name change, from the same website you linked under Change of name: a significant act

Important

Under the Civil Code of Québec, both spouses retain their respective names in marriage and exercise civil rights under those names. Consequently, if a married woman wants to adopt her spouse's surname, the Directeur de l'état civil will authorize that change of name only in an exceptional situation.

Don't know why you're getting so worked up. Apparently quebecs not the only place with similar laws. Greece has them too

I'm not worked up, I just don't see how you can reach the conclusion I bolded. If anybody can change their name, then it's obviously not illegal to change to your spouse's name. :mellow:

"Consequently, if a married woman wants to adopt her spouse's surname, the Directeur de l'état civil will authorize that change of name only in an exceptional situation."

you can't change your name with special dispensation under exceptional circumstances. So its illegal. Right? Law talkers tell me if my understanding is right or wrong :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on September 15, 2021, 01:59:17 PM

Important

In HVC's defence the website section talking about the mandatory use of the "surname you were born with" is not well drafted.  It would have been a lot more clear if it said "unless you apply to change your legal name"

viper37

There's social life and there's judicial life.

Everyone calls you Bob.  You mom and dad call you Bob.  Your friends call you Bob.  Your boss calls you Bob.

But your ID says "Robert Brown".  If you want to change it so that your driver's license says Bob Lebrun, you have to ask the Directeur de l'État Civil for a legal name change.

Sometimes, it will refuse, than its up to the tribunals, and they generally lean toward the freedom of the individual to use the name it wishes to, especially if, socially, it's been using it for years.

The law is there to protect the spouse from undue religious influence, but if they truly want to live their lives subordinate to their husband's needs, the law is unlikely to intercede itself into this part of the private life.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2021, 02:19:03 PM
There's social life and there's judicial life.

Everyone calls you Bob.  You mom and dad call you Bob.  Your friends call you Bob.  Your boss calls you Bob.

But your ID says "Robert Brown".  If you want to change it so that your driver's license says Bob Lebrun, you have to ask the Directeur de l'État Civil for a legal name change.

Sometimes, it will refuse, than its up to the tribunals, and they generally lean toward the freedom of the individual to use the name it wishes to, especially if, socially, it's been using it for years.

The law is there to protect the spouse from undue religious influence, but if they truly want to live their lives subordinate to their husband's needs, the law is unlikely to intercede itself into this part of the private life.

Right, it is just that the government website makes it sound like the use of the name given at birth is mandatory for civil law purposes.  I don't blame HVC for taking that at face value.

Barrister

Erin O'Toole to appear at a Conservative event alongside Brian Mulroney.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mulroney-otoole-campaign-1.6177201

Bold strategy Cotton - let's see if it pays off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Yeah, and the Liberals pull Chretien out for an appearance.

But I don't see the logic for doing either.  Mulroney has the stain of corruption and corruption is one of the things O'Toole is trying to tar the Liberals with.  Chretien is a memory cue for Trudeau Sr.  who like Mulroney ended a much less popular figure than he began.

Oexmelin

Chrétien is still insanely popular with the old Liberal base, so presumably it's meant to dynamize the faithful. Mulroney is a cue for the recentering move, hoping to attract new voters, who probably don't remember Airbus (but remember the simmering right-wing energy of the CPC)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 15, 2021, 07:29:05 PM
Chrétien is still insanely popular with the old Liberal base, so presumably it's meant to dynamize the faithful. Mulroney is a cue for the recentering move, hoping to attract new voters, who probably don't remember Airbus (but remember the simmering right-wing energy of the CPC)

Sounds about right to me.