News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2021, 01:12:32 PM
Its a good question.  The context makes this worse. The legislation started as a Conservative MP private members bill.  It got enough support from the Liberal back benches that it passed.  It is designed to lessen the tax impact on small businesses when passing it on to the next generation.  The cabinet and the finance ministry did not like the legislation - but too bad, Parliament is the legislative body not cabinet. 

To Echo Oex's comments this will likely barely register on the public and that is perhaps the most scary part.  A fundamental part of how our democratic system is supposed to work just got brushed aside because the executive didn't like what the legislature did. 

Yeah that's shit.

viper37

To Echo Oex's comments this will likely barely register on the public and that is perhaps the most scary part.  A fundamental part of how our democratic system is supposed to work just got brushed aside because the executive didn't like what the legislature did. 

It will barely register on the public because the medias aren't going to talk much about it.  A few articles here&there, but no outraged columns or editorials saying how threatened our democracy is because of this.  Which is right.  It's totally not the same, from a mediatic point of view, as if it was done by a Conservative govt.  There, it would be high treason against the sovereign will of the parliament.  But Libs?  Nah, it's ok dude, just chill.  See: Prorogation of parliament.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2021, 01:36:26 PM

It will barely register on the public because the medias aren't going to talk much about it.  A few articles here&there, but no outraged columns or editorials saying how threatened our democracy is because of this.  Which is right.  It's totally not the same, from a mediatic point of view, as if it was done by a Conservative govt.  There, it would be high treason against the sovereign will of the parliament.  But Libs?  Nah, it's ok dude, just chill.  See: Prorogation of parliament.

It was literally the headline article on the front page of the Globe and Mail today.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

saskganesh

Catching up with the Green Party. They are destroying themselves over Palestine and identity politics. They have really lost the plot.
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2021, 03:05:56 PM

It was literally the headline article on the front page of the Globe and Mail today.

Sure.  And what was the headline article on the front page of the G&M 3 months ago?  Without googling for it... ;)

We tend to remember things that are repeated. 

Lots of people remember the prorogation of parliament by the Cons.  Medias talked a lot about it.  Not so many people remember the same by the Libs.  The medias didn't spend as much time on it.  Sure, it was front page at some point.  And then it wasn't.

Lots of people remember how the Cons censored scientists.  Hundreds of articles about it.  I'm sure it made headlines when scientists felt musled by the Libs too.  But 100 articles/columns/editorials about it?  By the same token, everyone will remember the thight control of the Cons over what their ministers could say to the press.  Not many people will remember this fall how long journalists fought tooth&nail against the Federal Liberal govt under the Access to Information Act for just about any mundane thing.  Lots of people remembered the indecency of a Conservative minister ordering an 8$ orange juice at her hotel room, on taxpayers' account.  How many will remember the number of ethics violations by Trudeau himself or his ministers?  Trudeau going on vacation to a religious lobbyist's private island?  Bill Morneau having vacations paid by WeCharity and remembering his mistake of not repaying it just when it hit the medias?
Wanna bet the G&M and La Presse will make and editorial NOT recommending to vote for the LPC by the next time we go into an election (this fall, I'm guessing)?  If both the Globe & Mail and La Presse recommend their readers NOT vote for the Liberal Party of Canada under Justin Trudeau (no matter the reason), you win, I lose.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2021, 03:28:47 PM
Liberal hacks :P
They are.  Even Fox News criticized Trump once or twice.  That doesn't make them any less biased toward the GOP.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2021, 09:07:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2021, 03:05:56 PM

Sure.  And what was the headline article on the front page of the G&M 3 months ago?  Without googling for it... ;)

We tend to remember things that are repeated. 

Lots of people remember the prorogation of parliament by the Cons.  Medias talked a lot about it.  Not so many people remember the same by the Libs.  The medias didn't spend as much time on it.  Sure, it was front page at some point.  And then it wasn't.

Lots of people remember how the Cons censored scientists.  Hundreds of articles about it.  I'm sure it made headlines when scientists felt musled by the Libs too.  But 100 articles/columns/editorials about it?  By the same token, everyone will remember the thight control of the Cons over what their ministers could say to the press.  Not many people will remember this fall how long journalists fought tooth&nail against the Federal Liberal govt under the Access to Information Act for just about any mundane thing.  Lots of people remembered the indecency of a Conservative minister ordering an 8$ orange juice at her hotel room, on taxpayers' account.  How many will remember the number of ethics violations by Trudeau himself or his ministers?  Trudeau going on vacation to a religious lobbyist's private island?  Bill Morneau having vacations paid by WeCharity and remembering his mistake of not repaying it just when it hit the medias?
Wanna bet the G&M and La Presse will make and editorial NOT recommending to vote for the LPC by the next time we go into an election (this fall, I'm guessing)?  If both the Globe & Mail and La Presse recommend their readers NOT vote for the Liberal Party of Canada under Justin Trudeau (no matter the reason), you win, I lose.

I was merely pointing out that your statement that the story would not register with the public because  the media would not talk much about it was not factually correct.

Making headline news in a mainstream publication like the Globe means the media is, in fact, talking about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on July 08, 2021, 08:20:06 PM
Catching up with the Green Party. They are destroying themselves over Palestine and identity politics. They have really lost the plot.

Damn. This *should* be a golden age for the Green Party - the environment is on people's minds more than ever before, with the insane heat wave.

Josephus

Agreed. Should really be the NDP's domain, but anyway.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2021, 06:58:36 AM

Agreed. Should really be the NDP's domain, but anyway.

There has historically been a significant conflict within the NDP in this province between its environmentalist and labour union supporters.  Most of the labour union membership was in the resource extraction sectors.  That is one of the reasons the Greens have been viable here on the Federal level. 

But with this meltdown, it will be interesting to see if the Greens can hold their core support. 

crazy canuck

This recent poll is a bit surprising given the current pre election frenzy.  It shows that a Liberal victory is no sure thing and chances are they would remain in a minority position.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2021, 01:37:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2021, 01:31:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2021, 10:00:43 AM
We expect the usual non-Quebec pick to not actually speak french. It's nothing new. Pretty sure, it'll be fine.

I of course can not assess myself, but I read in a couple of places her level of French is even less than the usual anglophone "bilingual" candidates.

Probably. But most of us don't speak Inuktitut so will probably don't hang it on her. She learn english from Federal school/college. Once again, the Federal government is the one dropping the ball.

But that's it?  IS appointing Mary Simon an example of Trudeau "dropping the ball"?  I certainly don't fault Simon for not knowing French - but Trudeau is the one who appointed her.

Apparently she was considered by Harper for the appointment that ultimately when to Johnson.

I look forward to the day where the GG, a cabinet minister, a supreme court judge speaks only one of the official languages of this country, French.

Shouldn't be an issue right? I mean it's happened a zillion times before the other way around, I'm sure it's just a coincidence. The anglo media will also be totally fine with it I'm sure :)

Jacob

I can't speak for the Anglo media, but personally I'd be okay with it.

crazy canuck

I prefer having bilingual judges on the Supreme Court.  would not bother me with the other two.